Windows 10: Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device...

Discus and support Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi All, I have a Brother printer of an older model MFC-4550 and I am trying to connect it using a USB-Parallel cable into Windows 10. On a previous... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Justin13601, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device...

Hi All,

I have a Brother printer of an older model MFC-4550 and I am trying to connect it using a USB-Parallel cable into Windows 10. On a previous version of windows Windows 10 1709, the printer worked perfectly fine. Recently I updated to Ver. 1809 by wiping the computer but now the printer refuses to connect properly.

On 1809, when I connect the USB into the computer, the printer is shown as "IEEE-1284 Controller", which is the actual cable, in Devices and Printers of Control Panel. If I click on its properties, it would list my printer model and "USB printing support". In Device Manager, my printer model is listed under "Software devices" rather than "Printers". I concluded it was a driver issue, and since the manufacturer's website said the printer's driver was built-in, I inferred it had to do with me updating it to 1809. I tried searching for other drivers, both manually and through window's own feature. Did stuff with "Have Disk" and adding printers manually using ports but all to no avail.

Now I have downgraded back to an even earlier version, 1703. However it still does not work. When I plug in the cable, IEEE 1284 Controller is still there, and in Device Manager, the printer model is listed under "Other devices". In Control Panel, when I click on the IEEE 1284 Controller, it says it's a printer, however the "Driver is unavailable".

I know that the printer is compatible and it does work on Windows 10, however I just have trouble installing the right drivers and Windows Update doesn't seem to do its job either. Could it be that it ONLY works on 1709? Cause that would be ridiculous.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

:)

Justin13601, Jan 6, 2020
  2. 7IM
    7im Win User

GPU-Z device list enumeration, device order?

Specifically, how are the the GPUs listed in the drop down sorted, or determined? Vendor and PCI ID? OS hardware device list? Other?

Sorry if this was answered somewhere already. Searching for "GPU LIST ORDER" and like terms were not helpful.

Thanks.

3. usb device not recognized (malfunction) - Printer

Hope somebody can help a non-techy here.
    I have a canon IX4000 printer, and had been using it without problem. The next day (having touched nothing), I got a USB device not recognized warning, and that it has a malfunction (this is under Windows XP).

I've tried the following:
    - deinstalling all USB drivers under device manager
    - system restore to several days prior, when I knew the printer was working
    - trying a different USB lead (tested the lead on another device, so know it works)
    - plugged lead into every other available USB port on the computer (front and back).
    - tried plugging it into another computer (comes up with the same malfunction warning)
    - deinstalled the printer drivers, downloaded and reinstalled them.

Nothing I've tried works. I know the printer functions as I can start it up under service mode and print off test pages without problems, but my computer just won't have it. Could it be a hardware failure, and if not is there anything else I can try that isn't listed above?

Really grateful to anyone who can reply. *Smile Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device... :)

zarathustra2012, Jan 6, 2020
  4. jacobacci Win User

Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device...

Brother MFC J6720DW listed with strange icon in Devices and Printers

I have reinstalled the drivers for my Brother MFC J6720DW and now the printer icon is listed in the unspecified category instead of the printer category. The printer is the "Device" icon to the right.

Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device... [​IMG]

Right clicking on the icon shows the usual items for a printer (printing properties etc.), In addition it shows a "Browse Files" entry that lists the card reader of the printer.

Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device... [​IMG]

To the left of the Brother printer icon there is another similar one that seems to be my USB card reader

jacobacci, Jan 6, 2020
Thema:

Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device...

1. Printer "Driver is Unavailable" or listed in "Other devices" / "Software devices" in Device... - Similar Threads - Printer Driver Unavailable

2. device manager "other devices" drivers not installing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    device manager "other devices" drivers not installing: I've tried completely uninstalling the drivers and restarting the computer, and after I restarted the same issues came back up. Sometimes the "unknown USB Device Configuration Descriptor Request Failed" will fix itself and then come back, but the ones in "Other Devices" do...
  3. Device Drivers - Other Devices

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Device Drivers - Other Devices: Hi,I have tried to connect a second monitor which is my Android Smart TV but it's not finding it.I reviewed my Device Drivers and found the items in Other Devices see below pics.I have tried uninstalling, updating drivers all no good.I have tried unpairing and paring, no...
  4. Device Drivers - Other Devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Device Drivers - Other Devices: Hi,I have tried to connect a second monitor which is my Android Smart TV but it's not finding it.I reviewed my Device Drivers and found the items in Other Devices see below pics.I have tried uninstalling, updating drivers all no good.I have tried unpairing and paring, no...
  5. "Driver is Unavailable" and Mass Storage Device Unavailable"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    "Driver is Unavailable" and Mass Storage Device Unavailable": "Driver is Unavailable" and Mass Storage Device Unavailable" issue just came up and cant seem to fix it ive tried everything . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/driver-is-unavailable-and-mass-storage-device/eafcdceb-8095-4d88-891b-a96de6549752
  6. Other Devices - Drivers for this device are not installed

Other Devices - Drivers for this device are not installed: When I access Device Manager>Other devices there is a coprocessor listed with a yellow triangle . When I open the the properties for this coprocessor, the following message is present "The drivers for this device are not installed. Code 28. There are no compatible drivers...
  7. Other devices in device manager without drivers

Other devices in device manager without drivers: I had previously installed a USB-C video display adapter and have since moved onto a larger docking station to meet my needs. When I stalled the USB-C video display adapter, there are three "devices" that are located in the "other devices" folder in my computer's device...
  8. Printer listed as Unspecified device

Printer listed as Unspecified device: I have a Pantum P2500W printer that has been connected to this computer before. Now when I try to reconnect, it shows up as an Unspecified device rather than a Printer. How do I get the computer to recognize it as a printer so I can print from it?...
  9. windows 10 printer is unspecified device and drivers are under software devices

windows 10 printer is unspecified device and drivers are under software devices: Ok here is my problem. Windows 10 sees my Dell 7130CDN printer as an unspecified device. Under the unspecified device it says there are no drivers for this device. It won't let me install drivers for this unspecified device. When I go to device manager it is not seen as a...
  10. printer other devices

printer other devices: Daily I have to reinvent the wheel and reload printer driver...why? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-other-devices/e0ca5c1d-a798-454f-a993-95d2863cc891