Windows 10: Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

Discus and support Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) How to change to print? I just updated to Win10 ver 1903.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DouglasWagor, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) How to change to print? I just updated to Win10 ver 1903.

:)

DouglasWagor, Jul 11, 2019
  2. mta3006 Win User

How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

Just to be sure I am on the right track:

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) [​IMG]

Using these names, I get the following:

Am I missing something obvious?
    Does the USB/Parallel Printer adapter cable make this a problem?
    Does file and printer sharing have to be enabled to copy to a local printer?

mta3006, Jul 11, 2019
  3. mta3006 Win User
    How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

I may be in the wrong department here, so feel free to move if needed: I am trying to use the LaserJet Cleaning Utility made for my HP LaserJet 5P (I know, it is an antique, but it still works!) connected via USB A to Centronics Parallel Printer Adapter. This utility consists mainly of two .PRN files, one of which you print about 3 copies, then turn the pages over so that the printed sides get re-fused and clean off the fuser rollers as they exit (they also use a LOT of toner, so that the HP guys make a lot of money!)

Problems are, the executable does not run in any compatibility mode for W10, the batch file doesn't work either.
    Trying to simply send the file directly to printer has failed so far thusly:

copy hppass1.prn /B prn
    copy hppass1.prn /B USB001
    copy hppass1.prn /b \\computername\printername

Now I know I have forgotten a lot of DOS and other command line syntax, but can anyone correct me here? I have even tried drag/drop the file onto the printer icon in Printers and Devices, and onto a shortcut to the same printer copied to desktop. No joy. What have I missed?

mta3006, Jul 11, 2019
  4. LemP Win User

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

PRN file in C#

C# questions are beyond the scope of this consumer-oriented peer support forum.

It's not clear what you mean by "print ... as a label," but *.prn files -- in Windows at least -- are the raw output files (including printer control characters) from Windows printer drivers.

In Windows, you print a *.prn file by doing a binary copy to the printer, which must be the same model as the printer driver that produced the *.prn file.

The following is based on
    Bruce's Printing Pages

1. If the printer is connected to a port that the Command Interpreter (Command Prompt) can access (e.g., LPT1Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) :) then from a Command Prompt

copy /b file.prn LPT1:

2. If the printer is connected by USB (which is not accessible from Command Prompt), share the printer and from a Command Prompt

copy /b file.prn \\servername\sharename

or you can map the share to an LPTn port and then use method 1

net use LPT1: \\servername\sharename /persistent=yes

copy /b file.prn LPT1:

Thema:

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

1. Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) - Similar Threads - Printer sending output

2. How to send Command Output to Text file

in Windows 10 News
    How to send Command Output to Text file: [IMG]Who besides me likes to keep a backup of their work? Microsoft has given an option in all their command-line utilities, Command Prompt, PowerShell, and Windows Terminal to send Command output to a text file. In this post, we will see how that’s done. How to send Command...
  3. convert PRN file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    convert PRN file: I have some documents that are in a .prn file format. Is there any app or process to convert them to .pdf or print them to a .pdf format? Really in DIRE need for this. Please reply ASAP!...
  4. printer output

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    printer output: printer will print photos , some images and recipes off internet, but will not print email messages https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/printer-output/3a7725d6-4305-48fb-bea7-bdfccef3db16
  5. Printing - .prn file?

Printing - .prn file?: When I attempt to print, I get a pop-up to save something as a .prn file and nothing is sent to my printer. I cannot print. I tried through several programs, but all of them do the same thing. This just started happening. I was able to print without issue a couple of days...
  6. How to send cmd output results to text file?

in Windows 10 Support
    How to send cmd output results to text file?: What do I need to add here to get the results sent to a text file on desktop? [img] Reason: Missing device in AIMP preferences: [img] Windows 10 1903 REF: GitHub - dechamps/FlexASIO: A flexible universal ASIO driver that uses the PortAudio sound I/O library. Supports...
  7. .PRN file ?

in Windows 10 Support
    .PRN file ?: I notice in my Documents folder, there is a .PRN file. It is from some time ago. Can someone tell me what this is please? I think it is to do with a print job. Is it safe to delete it? Thanks. 145186
  8. Files print to prn

Files print to prn: All my print jobs go to prn files. How do I unlock everyday printing to get my printer working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-print-to/7e216e9a-2963-4ea1-b484-f72f3762d666
  9. How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?: I may be in the wrong department here, so feel free to move if needed: I am trying to use the LaserJet Cleaning Utility made for my HP LaserJet 5P (I know, it is an antique, but it still works!) connected via USB A to Centronics Parallel Printer Adapter. This utility consists...
  10. Sending files to a printer in PowerShell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sending files to a printer in PowerShell: In Windows 7 with the command prompt I could issue the following commands: net use lpt1 \\computer-name\printer-name /persistent:yes copy /A filename.txt lpt1 These assign the identifier lpt1 to a shared printer on a USB port. On my Windows 10 machine none of these...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. c# print to file prn

2. windows 10 send prn file to network printer

3. computer sending wireless print to .prn

4. why do i have to save the documents i want to print as a prn file,
  5. windows 10 prints to prn file,
  6. why is my pc saving print jobs as PRN files,
  7. print sending ro prn,
  8. network printer printing to prn,
  9. printer outputs to file,
  10. print sends file to .prn,
  11. printer sends to prn file,