Windows 10: Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

Discus and support Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) How to change to print? I just updated to Win10 ver 1903.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DouglasWagor, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM.

1. Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) How to change to print? I just updated to Win10 ver 1903.

:)

DouglasWagor, Jul 11, 2019 at 2:32 PM
  2. mta3006 Win User

How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

Just to be sure I am on the right track:

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) [​IMG]

Using these names, I get the following:

Am I missing something obvious?
    Does the USB/Parallel Printer adapter cable make this a problem?
    Does file and printer sharing have to be enabled to copy to a local printer?

3. mta3006 Win User
    How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

I may be in the wrong department here, so feel free to move if needed: I am trying to use the LaserJet Cleaning Utility made for my HP LaserJet 5P (I know, it is an antique, but it still works!) connected via USB A to Centronics Parallel Printer Adapter. This utility consists mainly of two .PRN files, one of which you print about 3 copies, then turn the pages over so that the printed sides get re-fused and clean off the fuser rollers as they exit (they also use a LOT of toner, so that the HP guys make a lot of money!)

Problems are, the executable does not run in any compatibility mode for W10, the batch file doesn't work either.
    Trying to simply send the file directly to printer has failed so far thusly:

copy hppass1.prn /B prn
    copy hppass1.prn /B USB001
    copy hppass1.prn /b \\computername\printername

Now I know I have forgotten a lot of DOS and other command line syntax, but can anyone correct me here? I have even tried drag/drop the file onto the printer icon in Printers and Devices, and onto a shortcut to the same printer copied to desktop. No joy. What have I missed?

4. LemP Win User

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

PRN file in C#

C# questions are beyond the scope of this consumer-oriented peer support forum.

It's not clear what you mean by "print ... as a label," but *.prn files -- in Windows at least -- are the raw output files (including printer control characters) from Windows printer drivers.

In Windows, you print a *.prn file by doing a binary copy to the printer, which must be the same model as the printer driver that produced the *.prn file.

The following is based on
    Bruce's Printing Pages

1. If the printer is connected to a port that the Command Interpreter (Command Prompt) can access (e.g., LPT1Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) :) then from a Command Prompt

copy /b file.prn LPT1:

2. If the printer is connected by USB (which is not accessible from Command Prompt), share the printer and from a Command Prompt

copy /b file.prn \\servername\sharename

or you can map the share to an LPTn port and then use method 1

net use LPT1: \\servername\sharename /persistent=yes

copy /b file.prn LPT1:

Thema:

Printer is sending output to a file (.prn)

1. Printer is sending output to a file (.prn) - Similar Threads - Printer sending output

2. Sending file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sending file: How to send file over 25 MB? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sending-file/41828ca1-12ac-4a0b-b1bf-698e28ded456"
  3. How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to send .prn file directly to USB local printer?: I may be in the wrong department here, so feel free to move if needed: I am trying to use the LaserJet Cleaning Utility made for my HP LaserJet 5P (I know, it is an antique, but it still works!) connected via USB A to Centronics Parallel Printer Adapter. This utility consists...
  4. Sending Zip files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Sending Zip files: I've been sending Zip files with no problems in past but this year these same files have been unable to be opened. The ERROR message when trying to open is Ox 8000 4005. Running Windows 10 on my System. Have done some research & it is possible the Zip Compression Method...
  5. sending files tthru bluetooth

sending files tthru bluetooth: cannot send files or documents using Bluetooth https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sending-files-tthru-bluetooth/36e58a7a-8879-4fb2-a70c-bb1af546dfa6
  6. unable to unzip output file for drivers for Canon printer/scanner for scanner TS5510

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    unable to unzip output file for drivers for Canon printer/scanner for scanner TS5510: how can I get to my download for a scanner drivers for my printer/scanner canon TS5510 when I download it and open file it wont allow me to it come up with cant open output file in winzip I have windows 10 operating system...
  7. Sending files to a printer in PowerShell

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Sending files to a printer in PowerShell: In Windows 7 with the command prompt I could issue the following commands: net use lpt1 \\computer-name\printer-name /persistent:yes copy /A filename.txt lpt1 These assign the identifier lpt1 to a shared printer on a USB port. On my Windows 10 machine none of these...
  8. Right click a file to send to email

in Browsers and Email
    Right click a file to send to email: When I was using WLM I could select a word document or an image by right clicking the mouse and send to various places as to an email. Now since using the windows 10 mail app,The option is still there right click and send to an email but it don't work on this new mail app....
  9. How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to pipe the output of a command to the printer in Windows 10: I'm at the command line. I want the output of the "set" command to go directly to my printer. I tried the following: set | notepad.exe I expected the output of the set command to become input to the notepad.exe command which then would print it out. Instead I get a...
  10. unable to initialize device PRN

unable to initialize device PRN: Hi- I am beginner and was trying to follow a tutorial using the command line on Windows 10. Started well, but now I am stumped when I use the print function. I keep getting the message "unable to initialize device PRN" and none of the discussions threads on the web...