Windows 10: Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path

Discus and support Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi Community, I'm a tech working in an organisation which uses a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure VMware Horizon. I've already ruled out an issue with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by [deelz], Nov 12, 2020.

1. [deelz] Win User

Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path

Hi Community,

I'm a tech working in an organisation which uses a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure VMware Horizon. I've already ruled out an issue with this system and it's dynamic environment manager, so it seems to be a windows-specific issue.

Environment is using Windows 10 Pro for 10.0.18363 build 18363 for the virtual desktops.

I've got an issue with one of the desktop pools whereby one of the network printers doesn't load into Windows correctly. If you add the printer directly, i.e. go into "Control Panel > Devices and Printers > Add Printer > The printer I wanted wasn't listed > Add via TCP/IP" then add it directly via its IP address, it loads in and shows as a printer in the Devices and Printers menu - this is great, however we don't add printers this way.

Printers are added in via the server UNC path, so \\server-name\printer. It's added via DEM like Group Policy, but not group policy... does the same thing. If we add it using this method, it shows as an "Unspecified" device under the Devices and Printers menu. In Device manager, it shows under "other devices".

Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path 28db9e57-afdb-4388-bd07-edfa22af4a2d?upload=true.png

Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path ca679466-1b7c-4aec-b77f-d517f1ca6af1?upload=true.png

When right-clicking the "Unspecified" device it does not give any options for printer properties, preferences like you'd expect. It shows options to Create Shortcut, Remove device, troubleshoot, or Properties. When clicking into Properties it loads "General" and "Hardware" tabs.

If you run the troubleshooter it says it couldn't find a problem and then forces the device up into the correct category under Devices and Printers but it's still listed the same way in device manager and the correct options still do not load when you right-click.

Weirdly, if you go into an app like MS word and try to print to it, it works... It also allows you to access the device preferences page....

This is causing our users some issues. It seems that because Windows categorises it as Unspecified, DEM can not set the printer as the default and they can't do it via the Devices and Printers menu manually as it doesn't give them that option.

Tried uninstalling and readding etc. Been trying to re-add it for literally hours - banging my head on the desk.

The printer is a RICOH MP C307 running on the Ricoh universal Driver 4.19. I've tried updating this and using the specific MP C307 driver - it does the same thing. It also works on several other desktops without issue - it's just this one having the issue.

Has anyone ever had this issue before? Any advice?

If you need further info/screenshots let me know.

Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path b0a02ec1-b28e-4ae6-b88c-751b19eb0442?upload=true.png Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path c33d9636-fd73-4199-93d5-197b669b2748?upload=true.png

Cheers all

[deelz]

:)

[deelz], Nov 12, 2020
  2. AJK_29 Win User

Printer showing as 'unspecified' device

I have recently upgraded to windows 10 and my printer is showing in 'unspecified' devices and it is quite old so the driver isn't listed if I try to add a printer. Is there a way I can get the pc to recognise it as a printer?

AJK_29, Nov 12, 2020
  3. Server 2019 unable to access UNC path

Server 2019 on domain. Unable to browse to UNC path of workstation which is part of a workgroup.

Network error: Windows cannot access \\x.x.x.x

Check the spelling of the name.Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network - Error code: 0x80004005 Unspecified error

The following were check to see if issue is resolved, but did not:

Disabled IP V6

Enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Computer browser service checked and was already started

Network discovery is turned on

Added and enabled SMB1 feature

Updates done and server restarted

Disabled and enabled File and Print sharing on the NIC

Disabled Firewall on server and workstation

Added host entries to workstations on server under the hosts file

Thank you.

Morne Barkhuizen, Nov 12, 2020
  4. Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path

USB PRINTER As Unspecified device,

Same problem here and also with an Epson deskjet connect via USB. What is funny is that I never noticed this because the wifi version the printer was showing up! The printer works perfectly, on device manager it is listed as a printer, on programs it appears
    as a print device but on the Win10 printers menu is not listed at all and via control panel it is unspecified.

KamelaTogneri, Nov 12, 2020
Thema:

Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path

1. Printer keeps showing as "Unspecified" device when added via server UNC path - Similar Threads - Printer keeps showing

2. Sewoo printer showing up as unspecified device windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Sewoo printer showing up as unspecified device windows 10: I have a Sewoo LK-B425A Printer Korea Branch, I have connected it to my PC via USB cable. At the first time plug in, there is no anything in Devices and Printers. Then I unplug the USB and install the divers by CD disk which included with the printer, after that SEWOO Label...
  3. Sewoo printer showing up as unspecified device windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sewoo printer showing up as unspecified device windows 10: I have a Sewoo LK-B425A Printer Korea Branch, I have connected it to my PC via USB cable. At the first time plug in, there is no anything in Devices and Printers. Then I unplug the USB and install the divers by CD disk which included with the printer, after that SEWOO Label...
  4. UNC path can not be accesss

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    UNC path can not be accesss: How to access it?Unc path can not be accessed its showing network path can not be found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unc-path-can-not-be-accesss/9fc7277a-c1ec-4206-ae9c-4d37871cb3d7
  5. Printer showing as Unspecified device on Windows computer

in Windows 10 News
    Printer showing as Unspecified device on Windows computer: [ATTACH]A device is placed into an unspecified category when Windows cannot identify or find a driver for that hardware. In this case, if you see the Printer showing as an Unspecified device in Windows 11 or Windows 10 computer, then this post will help you resolve it. Why...
  6. Mapped drives and unc path

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Mapped drives and unc path: I am runing Windows 10 version 20H2 with all updates applied on a peer to peer network with drives mapped to a shared network location on a Win Server 2012 R2. I also accesed other files from the server using the UNC path to the files. Suddenly both the mapped drives would...
  7. UNC SERVER

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    UNC SERVER: SIR/ MAM I AM A USER OF WINDOWS 10 PRO AND I LIKE IT. BUT FROM LAST 2-3 MOTNHS "UNC SERVER" IS ALWAYS ON IN THE PROCESSES WHICH MAKES THE COMPUTER SLOW DOWN. PLEASE TELL ME HOW CAN I DISABLE THE UNC SERVER....
  8. Printer listed as Unspecified device

Printer listed as Unspecified device: I have a Pantum P2500W printer that has been connected to this computer before. Now when I try to reconnect, it shows up as an Unspecified device rather than a Printer. How do I get the computer to recognize it as a printer so I can print from it?...
  9. USB PRINTER As Unspecified device,

USB PRINTER As Unspecified device,: Ive tried installing and uninstalling the driver many times, downloaded the most current from the manufacture but it does not work. Just trying to get my Wide format Printer to work . Any help would be appreciated. [IMG]...
  10. HP printer showed under unspecified devices.

HP printer showed under unspecified devices.: I installed drivers from windows update in add a printer. Driver installed but whenever I connect the printer it shows in unspecified devices in devices and printers and I am not able to print. please help. thanks. [img] 102617