Windows 10: Printer "Saved settings" behavior

Discus and support Printer "Saved settings" behavior in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have just re-built a Win 10 Home 1909 machine and re-installed the xerox printer. All is working well, except... In the Printer preferences box,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by utsbrodie, Apr 2, 2020.

1. utsbrodie Win User

Printer "Saved settings" behavior

I have just re-built a Win 10 Home 1909 machine and re-installed the xerox printer. All is working well, except...

In the Printer preferences box, there is the ability to save special print job settings. This one has the "Standard", "Previous Settings", "2 pages up / 2 sided" (all out-of-the-box stuff), and then "Special job 1" and "special job 2".

On this particular machine, whenever a standard print job is called, it wakes up in "special job 2" (last one in the list), and the user has to be vigilant and manually select "standard".

I cannot find where to set the "standard" job as the default. I have setup on other machines and the printer always wakes up on "standard" .

This query is long as I wanted to clearly show the problem. Dr Google searches produces many people eager to show how to set up a default printer. But that is not what I am looking for.

Cheers,

:)

utsbrodie, Apr 2, 2020
  2. Eric Ber Win User

Printer behavior

Hi tfd3,

A corrupted printer driver after the update is one of the possible reasons why you are unable to print using your printer. For us to assist you better, kindly answer the questions below:

• Which version and OS build number of Windows 10 is currently installed? To check, press the
      Windows key, type winver, and press the
      Enter
      key.
    • Do you have a third-party security software installed?
    • Have you tried updating the program to that you are having issues printing to its latest version?

Meanwhile, I would suggest that you check if your device is in an unspecified device state. You can follow the steps below:

• Select the Start button, then select > Settings
      > Devices > Printers & scanners > Related settings >
      Devices and printers.
    • Scroll down the list of Devices to see if your printer name and icon appears in the
      Unspecified section.

Once you know whether or not your printer is in an unspecified state, you can follow the steps in this

link
    to try and resolve the issue.

We'll be looking forward to your reply.

Eric Ber, Apr 2, 2020
  3. utsbrodie Win User

I have just re-built a Win 10 Home 1909 machine and re-installed the xerox printer. All is working well, except...

In the Printer preferences box, there is the ability to save special print job settings. This one has the "Standard", "Previous Settings", "2 pages up / 2 sided" (all out-of-the-box stuff), and then "Special job 1" and "special job 2".

On this particular machine, whenever a standard print job is called, it wakes up in "special job 2" (last one in the list), and the user has to be vigilant and manually select "standard".

I cannot find where to set the "standard" job as the default. I have setup on other machines and the printer always wakes up on "standard" .

This query is long as I wanted to clearly show the problem. Dr Google searches produces many people eager to show how to set up a default printer. But that is not what I am looking for.

Cheers,

utsbrodie, Apr 2, 2020
  4. Printer "Saved settings" behavior

Windows 10 Sets Last Printer Used As Default Printer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps to change the printer settings and check if it helps.

• In the search box, type as “settings”.
    • Go to “settings” and select “devices”.
    • Click on “printers and scanners” option on the left hand side.
    • You will find all your printers listed on the screen, below that there is an option
      “Let Windows manage my default printer”.
    • I suggest you to turn “OFF” the option “When turned on, the default printer is the last used printer”.
    • Now check whether you can choose the other printers or not.
    Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Apr 2, 2020
Thema:

1. Printer "Saved settings" behavior - Similar Threads - Printer Saved settings

2. Strange pc energy saving behavior

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Strange pc energy saving behavior: Hi everyone, I state that I have always had problems understanding how the energy saving of my Asus laptop works. First of all, I don't understand how energy profiles work and I can't use monitoring tools. I start from a concrete example: I'm trying to open a password...
  3. Desktop saved stuff changing position behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop saved stuff changing position behavior: It's been a long time since I first noticed this Windows behavior. Most of times, when I save something to the desktop, the system will place the new item as the last one on the right. Now and then, mostly when installing some apps, it will position the icon right below the...
  4. Printer "Saved settings" behavior

in Windows 10 Support
    Printer "Saved settings" behavior: I have just re-built a Win 10 Home 1909 machine and re-installed the xerox printer. All is working well, except... In the Printer preferences box, there is the ability to save special print job settings. This one has the "Standard", "Previous Settings", "2 pages up / 2...
  5. Printer Settings could not be saved. The directory is unavailable.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printer Settings could not be saved. The directory is unavailable.: [ATTACH] I already did: Give rights to me on the print server - change the restricted entry using Regedit and giving permissions. DNS is working fine - dcdiag /e Check the Group Policy to allow publish printer. Where else can I check?...
  6. Printer Preferences settings not getting saved

in Windows 10 Customization
    Printer Preferences settings not getting saved: Windows 10 does not save the printer settings aw well as the settings in the 'preferences'. In 'preferences' there is another two settings, 'Default setting' and 'current setting'. If I click on 'current setting' and 'apply' it, after the print-out is done it again goes back...
  7. Caps Lock behavior setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    Caps Lock behavior setting: Once ukpon a time, It was possible to make Caps Lock behave as on a typewriter, i.e. it was possible to set it in the way it could be turned off by pressing a shift key. I'm still using this settings, but since the corresponding dialog box was removed from Win10, I can no...
  8. Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Registry Edits Causing Folder Settings To Not Save And Other Weird Behavior: After modifying the registry to remove the "3D Objects" Folder from view when browing the "This PC" menu, I started to notice weird quirks with files in general. First I was unable to rename folders, which I fixed by using the folder protocol associations" file found on this...
  9. Strange file saving behavior

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Strange file saving behavior: Weird stuff. *Mad All of a sudden I cannot save files to my HD that were scanned though Adobe Acrobat 5.0 (Distiller). The files scan fine but when I try to save them from Acrobat 5 to the HD it says file cannot be saved. Things were working fine last month. I CAN save it...
  10. Unreliable behavior with Xerox printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unreliable behavior with Xerox printer: This weird thing keeps going on with the printer in my office. Most of the time it appears as "offline", although it's on and everyone else prints with no problems (I am the only one with Windows 10), and the green tick appears on it on the Devices and printers. Furthermore,...