Windows 10: Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

Discus and support Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, We have a bunch of people that their printer keeps switching from a defaulted network printer, printing from a print server on a domain... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by StevePoulin, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

Hi,

We have a bunch of people that their printer keeps switching from a defaulted network printer, printing from a print server on a domain controller to a locally installed printer. We use group policy preferences to add the printer to the user profile and let windows manage my printer is off. We are running Windows 10 1803 and Server 2016. Has anyone else seen this?

Thanks,

Steve

:)

StevePoulin, Nov 7, 2018
  2. RCoon Win User

Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

I do it with VB logon scripts

"Dim ps0 [<------ our printer server the printers are added/managed on]
    Dim printer

ps0 = "\\ps0\"
    printer = "S14 - Oki ES4140" [<------- the name of the printer as it is shown on the server]

Set wshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    on Error Resume Next

'Deletes all network printers
    Set clPrinters = wshNetwork.EnumPrinterConnections
    On Error Resume Next
    For i = 0 to clPrinters.Count - 1 Step 2
    wshNetwork.RemovePrinterConnection clPrinters.Item(i+1), true
    Next

'Add Network printer
    wshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection ps0 & printer

'Set Default Printer
    wshNetwork.SetDefaultPrinter ps0 & printer" [<------ this bit sets it as default (note: this must be applied as the first policy before any other printers policies, otherwise it deletes them)]

Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off Printerscrupt.png

RCoon, Nov 7, 2018
  3. Setting Default Printer via Startup Script

This looks like a good solution, and similar to some of the VB scripts I tried.. but it is a logon script. I would need something that works as a startup script. We are not mapping printers to users as they move around too much, but rather mapping to each computer.

The Link that W1ZZARD posted is good information. Sadly however, I have tried utilizing most of the commands that are available. The /c command is indeed interesting, but we are trying to map them when a computer starts up (prior to logon screen) versus just mapping them remotely. The purpose would be if we had a lab that needed the default printer changed, sure we could just send the remote command to each machine, or even remote into them ourselves and manually do it, but I was looking for a smoother alternative.

It seems like its just something that will have to be done manually and with user education.

Thanks for all the suggestions though.

Wastedslayer, Nov 7, 2018
  4. keakar Win User

Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

Printer advice

hp printers have the most expensive ink of all printers, the most economical is cannon and epson so i suggest if you looking to keep costs down look at those brands.

that being said it may not have the best print quality if it uses less costly ink.

if keeping cost down is the most important then shop in reverse, find a brand that has cheap replacement ink cartridges then see what printers they are used on. then from that list look to see if you like any of those printers and if they are affordable to you, if not then select another ink cartridge and look at the printers that those are used on. this method will give you the most affordable printer and the cheapest cost of replacement ink.

personally i use the refillable ink cartridges like these: http://www.inkproducts.com/ink-store/catalog/Our-Epson-Refill-Kits-orderby0-p-1-c-4.html

keakar, Nov 7, 2018
Thema:

Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off

1. Printers Keep Defaulting To Local Printers Let Windows Manage Printer Is Off - Similar Threads - Printers Keep Defaulting

2. let windows manage your printer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    let windows manage your printer: should i switch on let windows manage my default printer. As i use 2 different printersone usb and one wifi at different locations in a day. or should i prefer to manual settings...
  3. let windows manage your printer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    let windows manage your printer: should i switch on let windows manage my default printer. As i use 2 different printersone usb and one wifi at different locations in a day. or should i prefer to manual settings...
  4. Default printer keeps changing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Default printer keeps changing: I have set my default printer to Adobe PDF. I do occasionally print to an actual printer. I have turned off the "let windows manage printers" option. I have verified the Registry Editor has been changed from "0" to "1". Why does it still keep changing the default printer?...
  5. default printer keeps changing to pdf printer

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    default printer keeps changing to pdf printer: My default printer is always set to my regular paper printer. Occasionally when I 'print to pdf' windows 10 keeps changing my default printer to the pdf and I have to manually go back to the settings and change it to my preferred printer.The 'let windows manage my default...
  6. Default Printer keeps changing

Default Printer keeps changing: it seems whenever i use a PDF printer like Microsoft Print to PDF or PDF Factory, my default printer changes to that PDF printer even though i have the option to let windows select the printer set to off. Is there a way to stop this?...
  7. Let Windows Manage my Default Printer not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Let Windows Manage my Default Printer not working: We have several Surface Laptop 2's with Win 10 Enterprise installed. On all of them, the "Let Windows Manage my Default Printer" option in Settings does not work. You can check the box but Windows will not change the default printer as it should. Same image is on all of our...
  8. Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF"

Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF": Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I understand that Windows 10 has a new feature that automatically sets your effective default printer to the last device used (unless you explicitly turn OFF the "Let Windows manage my default printer" feature). I have turned this feature OFF (and...
  9. Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage: Hi to all. I am having an annoing problem with shared printers. The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer. The printer...
  10. Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer: How to: Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer [img] Information Starting in Windows 10 build 10565, Microsoft is introducing a new mode that makes your default printer the last printer you used most recently at your current location. This change helps...