Windows 10: Printing causes my computer to restart

Discus and support Printing causes my computer to restart in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Everything was working just fine and than about 2 weeks ago when ever I printed to my network HP M477FNW printer my computer would shut down. This was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by ThomasEOD, May 13, 2020.

1. ThomasEOD Win User

Printing causes my computer to restart

Everything was working just fine and than about 2 weeks ago when ever I printed to my network HP M477FNW printer my computer would shut down. This was not just limited to me printing. If anyone else in the house prints to this printer from their computer or iPad, my computer still shuts down.

1. I am not print sharing from this computer. The printer has its own network cat6 connection and no conflicts with IP address.

2. I ran the system file check and it still shuts down.

3. I have Windows 10 Pro version 1909 upgrade already but since I was having this issue plus file explorer always freezing up I purchased the full version Windows 10 Pro and did fresh install and my computer still shuts down when anything is printed.

For several years I had no issues, Nothing new was installed on my computer to cause this issue and in fact it still happens when I did a clean install. I feel that Windows did an update that is causing this issue.

How can I fix this problem?

:)

ThomasEOD, May 13, 2020

2. Printing stopped with November upgrade

Hey Prestonpdx,

I would suggest you check if the print spooler is running. Start/Stop print spooler service. Follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + R, type services.msc
      and press Enter.

• From the list, locate Print Spooler service.

• Double click on the service and select Stop.

• Restart the computer, repeat step 1&2.

• Double click on the service and check if the service is started.
    Get back to us with the updated status, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

SujataMoktan, May 14, 2020
  3. Must restart Spooler to print

Have you set the Print Spooler server to Automatic? If you haven't, then let's do it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Services through the search box.
    • Locate Print Spooler service and double click it.
    • Once the Print Spooler Properties window is open, look for Startup type and set is to
      Automatic.
    • Check also the Service status and make sure that it is set to Started.
    • Click Apply, then OK.

In case there are other printers installed on your PC that you no longer use, we suggest that you uninstall it as it may also cause some issues with Print Spooler.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards

Vanessa Yar, May 14, 2020
  4. Printing causes my computer to restart

Print to PDF missing in Printer List

Hi William,

We suggest that you disable and re-enable the Print to PDF feature. Here are the steps:

• Click on the Start menu and type in Windows Features.
    • Choose Turn Windows features on or off.
    • On the next window, find Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. Click
      OK to save changes.
    • Restart your PC.
    • Repeat the same steps to re-enable Microsoft Print to PDF.
    If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps suggested on the link below under
    Advanced:

Fix printer problems

Regards.

Rolando Vil, May 14, 2020
Thema:

Printing causes my computer to restart

1. Printing causes my computer to restart - Similar Threads - Printing causes computer

2. Game Caused My Computer Restart Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Game Caused My Computer Restart Unexpectedly: Hello. I was having issues with playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on my PC. Whenever I tried to play the game, it either crashed to my desktop after ~10 minutes of playtime, or force restart my PC completely. My PC just forced restart again and I've tried all the possible...
  3. Game Caused My Computer Restart Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game Caused My Computer Restart Unexpectedly: Hello. I was having issues with playing Red Dead Redemption 2 on my PC. Whenever I tried to play the game, it either crashed to my desktop after ~10 minutes of playtime, or force restart my PC completely. My PC just forced restart again and I've tried all the possible...
  4. Game Caused My Computer Restart Unexpectedly

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Microsoft GameInput causes computer to restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft GameInput causes computer to restart: Hello!My computer has been crashing and restarting lately, and I believe I found the cause considering both the crash and Microsoft GameInput have the same hour and date in Reliability Monitor."Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft GameInput....
  6. Microsoft GameInput causes computer to restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft GameInput causes computer to restart: Hello!My computer has been crashing and restarting lately, and I believe I found the cause considering both the crash and Microsoft GameInput have the same hour and date in Reliability Monitor."Windows Installer reconfigured the product. Product Name: Microsoft GameInput....
  7. Printing causes my computer to restart

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printing causes my computer to restart: when i print, it the same as if i select restart. one fix was to connect the printer to another room's outlet as all 3 outlets in my computer room gives a restart. I am using Windows 10e....
  8. Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart?

Is Riot Vanguard causing my computer to restart?: For the past couple of months, I have been getting PC restarts. Changing the settings to make the PC not restart only makes it completely freeze. Today I tried the minidump method, and I uploaded them to OneDrive. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atf26tIQQ4TEo1edUuVdBV2WjcV_?e=CqRs8q...
  9. Why does trying to print cause a restart?

Why does trying to print cause a restart?: Why does trying to print cause a restart? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/why-does-trying-to-print-cause-a-restart/600e6856-a0d3-4aa8-9bda-fa167c4b26c7
  10. Computer restarts -- probable cause AuthenticAMD

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer restarts -- probable cause AuthenticAMD: Hello, Last week my Dell laptop began to restart occasionally. There was no discernible pattern regarding apps running, etc. The debugger gave a WHEA_ERROR_RECORD at ffff908ab5f108f8 and fingered AuthenticAMD as the probable cause. My knowledge on these matters permits me...