Windows 10: Printing pdf file name gives gibberish

Discus and support Printing pdf file name gives gibberish in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Since an update of Windows 10 a few weeks ago, printing a PDF file via "Microsoft Print to PDF" does not allow typing in a name of the PDF file... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Wim G J Hol, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Printing pdf file name gives gibberish

Since an update of Windows 10 a few weeks ago, printing a PDF file via "Microsoft Print to PDF" does not allow typing in a name of the PDF file created. The characters typed for the name of the new PDF file have nothing to do with the characters appearing on the screen. I am printing files obtained via Firefox. Uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox does not solve the problem.

This was not a problem prior to the Windows 10 update.

A solution would be MOST welcome.

Thank you.

Wim Hol

:)

Wim G J Hol, Sep 9, 2019

2. Printing a pdf file

The printer is 'Microsoft print to pdf'. Are you sure I should be trying the above steps???

Anyways, on attempting the above, 'Microsoft print to PDF' was not listed in the programs while running the compatibility checker!

I tried "troubleshooting printing" option again today and it got stuck at 'checking for spooler service errors' and would not go ahead at all! I do not know if this could give you any clue as to what is going wrong!

YogeshPithwa, Sep 9, 2019
  3. Erika Aro Win User
    Microsoft "Print to PDF" prints out Garbage

Hi,

To better assist you regarding Microsoft Print to PDF, we just have a few questions for you:

• What are the documents that you're trying to save as a PDF file?
    • Can you provide us a step-by-step screenshot of how you print your documents as PDF?

Erika Aro, Sep 9, 2019
  4. Printing pdf file name gives gibberish

Print to PDF missing in Printer List

Hi William,

We suggest that you disable and re-enable the Print to PDF feature. Here are the steps:

• Click on the Start menu and type in Windows Features.
    • Choose Turn Windows features on or off.
    • On the next window, find Microsoft Print to PDF and disable it. Click
      OK to save changes.
    • Restart your PC.
    • Repeat the same steps to re-enable Microsoft Print to PDF.
    If the issue persists, we suggest that you perform the troubleshooting steps suggested on the link below under
    Advanced:

Fix printer problems

Regards.

Rolando Vil, Sep 9, 2019
Thema:

Printing pdf file name gives gibberish

1. Printing pdf file name gives gibberish - Similar Threads - Printing pdf file

2. Can't print pdf or files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't print pdf or files: It's been 2 weeks where I cannot print anything on my printer. I can only print notepad files but won't work pdf or other files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-print-pdf-or-files/e854f371-aca0-426b-8a0a-ed4beacc647b
  3. PDF with 2 .pdf’s at the end of the file name

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    PDF with 2 .pdf’s at the end of the file name: https://imgur.com/gallery/5q2aEYI I know that some malware try to hide their file ending by naming it twice or something like that. Could this be a similar situation or is this just normal? The weird thing is until I tried to delete it, it just said ergonomics.PDF without...
  4. Unable to print PDF file

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to print PDF file: I have received an error 800F0922 when trying to print PDF file using print-to-PDF feature. I tried to reinstall this feature but failed https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/unable-to-print-pdf-file/1a6b754f-889d-4cba-9493-06a5b99d2682
  5. Unable to print PDF file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to print PDF file: I have received an error 800F0922 when trying to print PDF file using print-to-PDF feature. I tried to reinstall this feature but failed. Suggest a way to fix this......
  6. Will not print PDF files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Will not print PDF files: I can display the file, but cannot print attached PDF files that I am getting sent. So I have to use "Print display page" which is a god awfully slow process. I thought PDF files were universally accepted format. Do you know why it hangs up ? It just sits there, does...
  7. Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Gibberish or question marks ? in some folder and file names: The File Explorer windows 10 on my Lenovo Laptop shows at least one folder with music files in which the folder and file names appear in Greek/gibberish characters. Some pdf file names appear as question marks within a diamond shape! Most probably originally all these have...
  8. Can not print a pdf file

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can not print a pdf file: I am having this problem with both laptops, one an HP and the other a Lenovo. I can open the pdf file but when I click print nothing happens, I get no response from the HP printer which I have not had any problems with. I would include the Windows version number but do not...
  9. PDF print files

PDF print files: What inexpensive or free app or download is recommended to print to pdf large or custom paper sizes such as ArchD? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pdf-print-files/ba3eb7df-2b84-401a-ab03-cc8ae2dcd5f7
  10. Error printing a pdf file

Error printing a pdf file: When I try to print a pdf file or anything from the internet I get an error "your printer has experienced an unexpected configuration problem 0x80070241" it prints from microsoft applications ok, and I tried to uninstall and reinstall the print driver and still get the same...