Windows 10: Printnightmare and Normal Users

Discus and support Printnightmare and Normal Users in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; There's a lot of talk lately about this new unpatched vulnerability. It seems that everyone is being implored to disable the print spooler service or... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Ronc, Jul 3, 2021.

1. Ronc Win User

Printnightmare and Normal Users

There's a lot of talk lately about this new unpatched vulnerability. It seems that everyone is being implored to disable the print spooler service or file and printer sharing in the Windows Firewall. Does this apply to normal users? Normal users are those with an internet connected nat router, networking together other devices on the LAN, like PC's, phones, network printers, webcams, and more recently, smart home devices. The local Windows computers print to network printers which do not run Windows. The local computers are not print servers, but they all have file and printer sharing enabled, so if someone were to connect a usb printer to one of the Windows computers, file and printer sharing would let other users on the network use that local printer. All of this equipment should be separate from the global internet, thanks to the nat router. Is this normal setup not safe from Printnightmare? Build: 19043.1081 (21H1)

:)

Ronc, Jul 3, 2021
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Jul 3, 2021
  3. Edge Search Does Not Permit Change of Region

I got these suggestions from the Microsoft Community forum.No. 1 worked for me:

Thank you for posting the query on Microsoft Community. I am glad to assist you on this.
    We have reproduce the issue here and we are able to access non-regional search for google using Microsoft Edge.
    I would suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.
    Step 1:
    Clear browsing data option of Microsoft Edge and check if you face the issue. To do so perform the steps below.

1. Click on the More actions icon next to the feedback icon present on top right corner of the Project Spartan homepage.
    2. Select Settings and click on Choose what to clear.
    3. Check the boxes Browsing history, Cookies and saved website data and Cached data and files and click on Clear.
    Step 2:
    I suggest you to create a new user account and check if the issue occurs.

1. Go to Settings.
    2. Choose Accounts and then select Family and other users.
    3. Select add someone else on this PC.
    4. Enter a user name and hit next.
    5. Click on Finish.
    6. Sign out from the current Account and Log into the new account.
    Step 3:
    It could also happen because of network issue. I suggest you to try with different network connection and check if it helps.

hurricane51, Jul 3, 2021
  4. deving Win User

User.000 issue after updating to 1909

I'm one of the many people suffering from issues with user profiles after applying Update 1909 to Windows 10. I've read all the threads I can find on the topic here and have followed the suggestions, all to no avail. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

After applying Update 1909, the ProfileImagePath was changed to c:\users\User.000
    One file that was always in use and couldn't be removed was left in c:\users\User (can't recall or find the exact file now), so I could never rename or remove the c:\user\User directory.

I followed the multiple suggestions from Brink and others:
    • Rebooted at least 6 times
    • Enabled hidden Administrator
    • Booted into Safe Mode
    • Changed ProfileImagePath
    • Tried to rename c:\users\User but couldn't because a file was still in use
    • Copied all data from c:\users\User.000 into c:\users\User
    • Rebooted and had temporary profile
    • Followed steps in Brink tutorial to change ImageProfilePath; rebooted with no change
    • Restored using Restore Point from before Update 1909 - returned to single profile state (User.000)
    • Removed each update that was installed individually and rebooted after each update removal - profile state never changed
    • After all updates were removed, repeated the steps above with hidden Administrator, changing profile, etc. - same issue with file in use in c:\users\User
    • Followed all steps above with hidden Administrator but without copying files from User.000 to User - same results

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

deving, Jul 3, 2021
Thema:

1. Printnightmare and Normal Users - Similar Threads - Printnightmare Normal Users

2. how to fix Printnightmare

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to fix Printnightmare: Hi All,I need to fix this print nightmare issue can anyone suggest it.I am using the windows server 2019 server and printer role configure after patching start facing issues for all users.Thanks Abdul Latheef...
  3. how to fix Printnightmare

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to fix Printnightmare: Hi All,I need to fix this print nightmare issue can anyone suggest it.I am using the windows server 2019 server and printer role configure after patching start facing issues for all users.Thanks Abdul Latheef...
  4. KB5004945 patch "PrintNightmare"

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    KB5004945 patch "PrintNightmare": Hello, I initially rolled out the KB5004945 patch via Intune in July. Lately the patch has stopped installing with Error code: 0x80070017Is this because there is another cumulative update that has been pushed via windows updates that takes precedence? If so which KB is it and...
  5. Latest patch for PrintNightmare

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Latest patch for PrintNightmare: This latest update has broken connection to clients for their networked printers. Is there going to be any update to fix this issue? I work at a large university and this patch broke connection to ALOT of printers that were already mapped via print server to our clients. Also...
  6. PrintNightmare Vulnerability - Status Question

PrintNightmare Vulnerability - Status Question: Has this been addressed? Do I still need to keep print spooler disabled? Yes or No. I've searched for a definite answer and have not been able to find one. I know there was an initial fix, but then heard that another vulnerability was discovered and that Microsoft was in...
  7. Printnightmare security patch

Printnightmare security patch: Hello. Looking for help finding and downloading this security patch. I have WIN 7 HOME PREMIUM 64 bit SP1. While searching, thought I found it. There were 2 options for download: XLSX MICROSOFT EXCEL & CSV COMMA VALUE. None of this means anything to me. Maybe I was in the...
  8. PrintNightmare and CVE-2021-1675

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    PrintNightmare and CVE-2021-1675: Does "2021-07 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 20H2 for x64-based Systems KB5004945" include the patch for CVE-2021-1675 i.e. PrintNightmare?If not, where do I find the proper update?Thank you in advance....
  9. Fix for PrintNightmare security threat

Fix for PrintNightmare security threat: How do I update my laptop to guard against the PrintNightmare security threat that the media is reporting? I am running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-for-printnightmare-security-threat/1a2bc736-558a-41ef-8a4d-b82f05350cae
  10. Fix for PrintNightmare security threat

Fix for PrintNightmare security threat: How do I update my laptop to guard against the PrintNightmare security threat that the media is reporting? I am running Windows 10. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/fix-for-printnightmare-security-threat/1a2bc736-558a-41ef-8a4d-b82f05350cae