Windows 10: Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair...

Discus and support Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair... in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; After August 02 2019 MS push of WIN 10 upgrade, my PC stopped printing to printer and, instead, offers to save prints as prn files. It does not matter... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MindTinker, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair...

After August 02 2019 MS push of WIN 10 upgrade, my PC stopped printing to printer and, instead, offers to save prints as prn files. It does not matter from which application the print command is issued. I've tried WORD, browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox), Adobe PDF, etc. All try to create a prn file. I have checked the Printer Application each time. The "Print to File" option is turned OFF. I have tried turning it ON, then OFF to try to jog it with no success. My printer, which has worked well for me for the past couple of years (until this MS OS upgrade), is set as the default printer. The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8710 and shows to be in "Ready" state. Running a test page from it also offers to create a prn file. I do notice under printer properties that the port for the printer now, for some odd reason, shows as "Print to File". I tried using the "Configure Port" option to change that, but a message pops up informing "There is nothing to configure for this port". The other options are "Add Port" and "Delete Port", which I have not tried doing at this time. … I am not a novice techy. My formal occupation involves me in computer software and hardware issues daily. Any Expert suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have already perused the older related posting, but they all appear to direct to the turn OFF the "Print to File" option, which is not the problem I appear to be having with my machine. … It is always something different each time Microsoft pushes a major WIN 10 upgrade. I know my weekend will be wasted trying to resolve a problem they create. … Thank you.

:)

MindTinker, Aug 4, 2019

2. Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair this?

After August 02 2019 MS push of WIN 10 upgrade, my PC stopped printing to printer and, instead, offers to save prints as prn files. It does not matter from which application the print command is issued. I've tried WORD, browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox),
    Adobe PDF, etc. All try to create a prn file. I have checked the Printer Application each time. The "Print to File" option is turned OFF. I have tried turning it ON, then OFF to try to jog it with no success. My printer, which has worked well for me for the
    past couple of years (until this MS OS upgrade), is set as the default printer. The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8710 and shows to be in "Ready" state. Running a test page from it also offers to create a prn file. I do notice under printer properties that
    the port for the printer now, for some odd reason, shows as "Print to File". I tried using the "Configure Port" option to change that, but a message pops up informing "There is nothing to configure for this port". The other options are "Add Port" and "Delete
    Port", which I have not tried doing at this time. … I am not a novice techy. My formal occupation involves me in computer software and hardware issues daily. Any Expert suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I have already perused the older related posting,
    but they all appear to direct to the turn OFF the "Print to File" option, which is not the problem I appear to be having with my machine. … It is always something different each time Microsoft pushes a major WIN 10 upgrade. I know my weekend will be wasted
    trying to resolve a problem they create. … Thank you.

MindTinker, Sep 30, 2019
  3. Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair this?

That worked Greg. Thank you.

I followed your written instructions, including those at the link. Deleted the printer and its drivers. While doing so, I discovered some drivers from old printers I no longer use, so I deleted those also. There was also an odd "Unknown" printer showing
    in the Device Manager listing. I checked the Events history on it and saw it was loaded the same day and time as my machine was upgrading the WIN 10 OS. It appeared non-functional. It would not identify itself as being valid and would not search for any drivers
    that may have been related to it; so, I deleted it as well. It may have been acting as a default and sending prints to prn (?? just guessing).

I did run into a slight glitch during the install of the printer software (which I retrieved from the HP site). It was searching for the networked printer, which it had found for the selections listed, but returned unable to install after trying a few minutes.
    The option was to Try Again or Cancel. Checking the printer, I noticed the printer had gone to sleep. I awoke it and issued a command to Try Again. The install was, then, successful.

MindTinker, Sep 30, 2019
  4. Pmeadow Win User

Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair...

Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair this?

I had this same problem today and spent the last couple of hours trying to fix it.

I didn't want to uninstall and re-install printer software and drivers etc. so I dug deeper and found the setting that loading the Windows 10 update had changed.

I have two HP printers available and only one was printing, the other wanted to create a *.prn file instead.

I compared the printer properties > ports and noticed that the working printer was assigned a WSD port and the non-working printer a File port, which means print to file.

There was another WSD port available which I clicked on and from that point on, my printer printed to the printer...

I had previously verified when trying to print a pdf in the advanced options, that print to file was unchecked.

Anyway, on my pc, this "fix" worked for me and perhaps it may help someone who is searching for a solution. Meanwhile I hope Microsoft will attend to this glitch as I am sure that loading the Windows 10 latest update was the root cause of this problem in
    the first place. I could print yesterday but after running the update today, I could not print.

Pmeadow, Sep 30, 2019
Thema:

Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair...

1. Prints defaults to PRN after Windows 10 pushed required upgrade yesterday. How do I repair... - Similar Threads - Prints defaults PRN

2. How to repair printing after Trojan.Agent.GBED ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to repair printing after Trojan.Agent.GBED ?: Hello,I have opened an pdf from email, from Outlook, and the antivirus, BitDefender, said it was a threat and deleted. The name of the Mallware is Trojan.Agent.GBED as detected by the antivirus. Since then i can't print o any of the printers i have installed on my computer...
  3. How to repair printing after Trojan.Agent.GBED ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to repair printing after Trojan.Agent.GBED ?: Hello,I have opened an pdf from email, from Outlook, and the antivirus, BitDefender, said it was a threat and deleted. The name of the Mallware is Trojan.Agent.GBED as detected by the antivirus. Since then i can't print o any of the printers i have installed on my computer...
  4. How to repair printing after Trojan.Agent.GBED ?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  5. How to do a Windows 10 Repair Upgrade

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to do a Windows 10 Repair Upgrade: How to do a Windows 10 Repair Upgrade Fix common windows issues by carrying out a simple windows upgrade. Before you start: Please ensure all of your personal data is backed up to at least 2 storage locations. These could be: USB Drive OneDrive etc. What you will...
  6. Password Required, but Not Required yesterday ?!?!

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Required, but Not Required yesterday ?!?!: My mother-in-Law is now presented with a password screen. She says she never had to enter a password before. She doesn't know what it is. I went into F2 set up, and created an administrator password, but do not get an option for "Other User", so cannot use Administrator to...
  7. Printing - .prn file?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Printing - .prn file?: When I attempt to print, I get a pop-up to save something as a .prn file and nothing is sent to my printer. I cannot print. I tried through several programs, but all of them do the same thing. This just started happening. I was able to print without issue a couple of days...
  8. Printing only saves to .PRN file after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1903

Printing only saves to .PRN file after upgrading to Windows 10 version 1903: Since upgrading to Windows 10 version 1903, whenever I attempt to print from any application, Windows offers to save the print to a .PRN file instead of sending it to a printer as usual. Saving to a .PRN file seems to be the only option available – there is no obvious...
  9. Files print to prn

Files print to prn: All my print jobs go to prn files. How do I unlock everyday printing to get my printer working? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-print-to/7e216e9a-2963-4ea1-b484-f72f3762d666
  10. How to disable PRN

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    How to disable PRN: How do you disable PRN ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable/21e00e4d-08bc-43ca-baf8-f13bde44946b"

Users found this page by searching for:

1. epson 2450 printing to printer results in prn file win10