Windows 10: Privacy and Windows 10

Discus and support Privacy and Windows 10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Still there are people don't buy that. At least I believe these facts are good. Like religion, operating systems and software in general are "faith... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Brink, Sep 27, 2015.

1. mousegolf Win User

Privacy and Windows 10

Like religion, operating systems and software in general are "faith based". One chooses to believe or they choose not to believe. Very much the same as believing a story sincerely told to you.

mousegolf, Sep 28, 2015
  2. Cliff S New Member

Oh don't forget
    Privacy and Windows 10 [​IMG]

Cliff S, Sep 28, 2015
  3. zooburner Win User
    *my bold

Not only that if they don't have a method to connect you to the data (which they suggest), then handing it over would be a meaningless exercise. You can minimise (supposedly) the data sent but what is 'basic' information or data ??

Saying 'we do not collect or use data for the purpose of......' is not the same as saying 'we do not collect data' I'm surprised people as so easily fooled by such sleight of hand.

I guess people will read into or out of it whatever they wish !

zoo

zooburner, Sep 28, 2015
  4. Gary Win User

Privacy and Windows 10

They do collect data but I just no longer care if they do or what they do with it. They claim they are not using it for advertising, I suppose Google isn't either??*Smile

5. zooburner Win User
    Yup I'm in pretty much the same position, assume nothing is private on windows10 that way you stay safe. I have already moved internet banking, letter writing, and on-line shopping, anywhere is use my Credit Card or need private correspondence or want to keep my passwords safe to Linux (Mint) this past month.

I will continue to use Windows10 for less private things like You Tube, Games (for which it is great) etc.. in effect its been relegated to an entertainment system it cannot any longer in my mind at least be considered a O.S. alone.

The whole security issues whether real or imagined which is now irrelevant to me has encouraged me to make this move Linux Mint is actually a very swish O.S. I like almost everything about it, I'm enjoying running both systems all my work is now done on Linux.

zoo

zooburner, Sep 28, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
    Actually they quite clearly claim the ARE using it for advertising.

Look at Windows:

Or Skype:

If I have to have an advert I'd rather have an ad for something possibly interesting to me (a new SSD perhaps or a book I might like) than something not interesting to me at all (a deal on cheap diapers or cruises for the over 90's).

There is nothing sneaky or hidden here - it is obvious and you can choose. You either accept it or not.

If you really don't like it then you can always use something else (although it might have to be a notepad or a typewriter).

7. Cliff S New Member
    *Ditto

Cliff S, Sep 28, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Privacy and Windows 10

*Ditto*Ditto

BunnyJ, Sep 28, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    [youtube]TU9ECwhi3hc[/youtube]

Enjoy

10. IE can remember my logon credentials/passwords to sites, if I want it to. For example, when I originally logged into Ten Forums IE asked me if I wanted it to remember my password for that site. I said yes. Now I just have to type in my username and it fills in the password part. You can say no, not for this site. That info can be synced to my other PC's. I find it convenient.

alphanumeric, Sep 28, 2015
  11. Gary Win User
    Those words were taken right out of Their VP's Blogpost

12. Drybonz Win User
    I don't think there's anything in these articles that is going to reassure anyone who had initial concerns about privacy and information collecting. It's basically a PR statement with no new information. No, we aren't going to sell your information... Yes, Cortana does collect your personal information because it has to... etc, etc... nothing new.

Drybonz, Sep 29, 2015
  13. zooburner Win User

Privacy and Windows 10

Hmmm yes I saw that of course, what exactly does 'reset your ID' mean, does it mean a new ID? does it mean your ID is not passed on? Why do you have to turn on off, instead of on? I think this is perhaps part of Microsoft's problem, i.e. they simply do not explain very well.

No need to use a typewriter or a notepad, you can use a modern up to date operating system like Linux to do sensitive and important things, and use windows10 for what it has become.. an entertainment system with built in payware, solitaire for example and who's to say what will come next? office perhaps downloaded in the background and installed 'for your convenience', and use your computer and bandwidth as a server for strangers. (something they already think it's fine to do by default)

My prediction is it will become more and more invasive as time goes by, which of course is fine for a games system but not for a serious O.S. I suspect also people will become desensitised to invasive apps and software, and will actually expect shiny new things to be auto downloaded and installed for the fan base to coo at.

As a few have said, I think a lot have already made their mind up, lets see where it goes and how it all works out, but for now I'm assuming nothing is private on Windows10.

zoo

zooburner, Sep 29, 2015
  14. fredc Win User
    Excellent post and i believe the same to be the case. Look at "facebook" , people actually seem to not mind what personal info they keep hounding you for , i found it outrageous , my parents don't even know what they kept inquiring about lol.

Within a two week trial period i had all these "so called friends" wanting to be friends , who are these people lol , some looked to be real nut jobs , most members had thousands of these "so called friends" , definitely not for me .

And another thing , i don't like to be followed , people want to follow you , what for ? I guess Win 10 isn't as bad as i thought .

fredc, Sep 29, 2015
  15. LEE
    Lee Win User
    . . .for the last time; if this bothers you so much then it is time to disconnect from the internet, throw out your cell phones, dispose of your tablets, tear up your credit/bank cards, and head for the backwoods, and hope no one ever fines or even sees you. . .*really.

Thema:

Privacy and Windows 10

1. Privacy and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Privacy

2. is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam?: is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-the-legitimate-owner-or-is-the-email-a-scam/43f61c67-66d2-4f6c-83d9-8c07efd0d7e8
  3. is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam?: is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-the-legitimate-owner-or-is-the-email-a-scam/43f61c67-66d2-4f6c-83d9-8c07efd0d7e8
  4. is *** Email address is removed for privacy *** the legitimate owner or is the email a scam?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone: Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-on-privacy-protection-on-ms-defender/eb14a286-90d5-47f7-bdfb-9aa6a5e7508f
  6. Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone

Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone: Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cannot-turn-on-privacy-protection-on-ms-defender/eb14a286-90d5-47f7-bdfb-9aa6a5e7508f
  7. Cannot turn on Privacy Protection on MS Defender in iPhone

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
  8. Missing Windows Security in Privacy & security settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Missing Windows Security in Privacy & security settings: I recently bought a new PC and it seems a lot of windows features are still missing, one is Windows Security. I have watched tutorials online and saw that they have Windows Security in Privacy & security settings but my PC doesn't have that option, only Find my device is...
  9. Missing Windows Security in Privacy & security settings

Missing Windows Security in Privacy & security settings: I recently bought a new PC and it seems a lot of windows features are still missing, one is Windows Security. I have watched tutorials online and saw that they have Windows Security in Privacy & security settings but my PC doesn't have that option, only Find my device is...
  10. Disabling Copilot and personal privacy

Disabling Copilot and personal privacy: Hello! I would like to have no interactions with Copilot, including having my inputs captured for "training" purposes.Can you please clarify if disabling Copilot through the registry will also accomplish the goal of preventing user inputs from being captured by Copilot, are...