Windows 10: Private and Public Network Problem

Discus and support Private and Public Network Problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Here's what I am trying to accomplish We have events at different locations where we need a private network. The network is wired between a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by ej53, Feb 22, 2018.

1. ej53 Win User

Private and Public Network Problem

Here's what I am trying to accomplish

We have events at different locations where we need a private network.

The network is wired between a workstation (that acts as a server) and 2-4 data input stations. They are all connected through a switch, which is connected to a router.

There is not connection to the internet and none is need for this situation.

We are running Windows 10 Pro on all computers.

I would also like to establish a WiFi connection (on the workstation) so we can upload/download files (as necessary) to Dropbox or other services.

The WiFi connection is usually either a hotspot or sometimes the WiFi at our location (hotel, arena, school, etc.).

I have been able to make it work, but not consistently.

It will usually work for a short time and then I might need to go look something up on the web and it won't find the WiFi and I have to disconnect from the private network to make the WiFi work again.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas on how to make this work consistently.

Thanks

:)

2. Eric Ber Win User

Domain Network, Private Network and Public Network Actions Need in McAfee Firewal

Hello Ken,

We appreciate your response. It seems that McAfee Firewall was previously installed on your computer. We suggest that you completely remove all the traces of the program and check if you will still encounter the same issue. You can check this

link
    and go to the McAfee section to completely remove it from your computer.

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Domain Network, Private Network and Public Network Actions Need in McAfee Firewal

These issues just came up and I am trying to fix them. Any ideas where to go to fix these. I recently received windows updates.

Thanks

Ken

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 10 / Security & privacy]

LTC Ken Robinson, Feb 22, 2018
  4. Samuria Win User

Weome to the forum. It should all work on a private network. Its how you connect to the wifi thats the question do you then disconnect from the network you set up or still have that via cable? We need more details as how this is done

Samuria, Feb 22, 2018
  5. Please also check your wifi adapter in device manager, properties, Power management. Disable the ability to shut the wifi adapter down to save power.

Caledon Ken, Feb 22, 2018
  6. ej53 Win User
    Thank you for the responses. To clarify, I would like to be connected (the server workstation) to both networks at the same time.

I will check the settings for the WiFi card in the device manager.

Thank you.
    Elliot

7. Boomhauer Win User
    i also have a similar but different problem if i may. not to cut in and im sorry if i am out of place but i can usually sort this stuff out but this escapes me and forum etiquette is not my specialty. i have been until recently connected thru ethernet to my wireless repeater bridge thru router number 2. win 10 pc. lately, last week or so, for whatever reason the signal drops and upon investigation my network has gone public with no internet access and the option to change back to private are no longer available. i can temporarily get back to private thru the homegroup troubleshooter but moments later its public again and no connection. i can however still connect thru same router wirelessly as it remains private. the only thing i have really been able to do to fix is a clean install but it does happen again luckily it started right at time i was contemplating a clean install anyways. system restore does not seem to help. well it does not help i should say. i have uninstalled all network adapters and rebooted but never any joy. it is also a dual boot setup and it affects the other os even though it may have been days since one or the other was touched. win 7 and 10. i am myself leaning towards the intel network adapters as both os's do share this bit of network software but after that and the fact that "option to change network settings is nonexistent" i am at a loss. any ideas? google that phrase and youll get a clearer picture of the problem possibly thank you

Boomhauer, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Private and Public Network Problem - Similar Threads - Private Public Network

2. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  3. Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Network showing as 'public' not 'private'.: My private network shows up as 'public' on my new laptop and 'private' on my 1-year old desktop. Both are using Windows 11. How do I get it private on the laptop?...
  4. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  5. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private network question: OK so in in Windows 10 you can choose whether your computer is on public or private network. I did my homework so I know that Private is recommended for home and it makes your PC discovarable and opens file sharing and public is recommended for public places like coffee shops...
  6. Public or Private network question

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  7. public or private network settings

public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  8. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  9. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  10. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...