Windows 10: Private network file transfer intermittent problem

Discus and support Private network file transfer intermittent problem in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two laptops and a desktop all on my home network. I use Laptop 1 for daily needs, Laptop 2 mostly for streaming to my TV, and the desktop as a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PapaBear260, Apr 6, 2020.

1. Private network file transfer intermittent problem

I have two laptops and a desktop all on my home network. I use Laptop 1 for daily needs, Laptop 2 mostly for streaming to my TV, and the desktop as a central "file server." All three of these are running Windows 10 Pro fully up-to-date. From time to time, I copy files from Laptop 1 to both Laptop 2 and to the desktop for backup purposes. The problem is, the desktop often becomes unavailable for connection in File Explorer until it gets a reboot. Laptop 2 is always there/always ready for a connection. I've disabled any forms of "sleep" on both Laptop 2 and the desktop they are always powered, and only the desktop occasionally becomes unavailable. Even when not available via File Explorer, the desktop will answer a ping from Laptop 1. I'm not sure how to proceed with troubleshooting, and any suggestions appreciated.

:)

PapaBear260, Apr 6, 2020
  2. rss81 Win User

transfer files between computers on a home network

I don't know why this is so hard to do but I would like to transfer files between a desktop PC running windows 10 pro and a laptop running windows 10 home. I would like to transfer files in both directions. Both computers are on the same home network and are connected wirelessly.

Could some one provide either specific step by step instructions on how to do this (I googled and found a countless list of instructions that don't work)

or a link to a reference.

Thanks,

I don't know if this is possible but it would be nice to see the computer sending the desired file in the explorer file manager of the computer receiving the desired file and then under the computer see a list
    of shared files and folders.

Again, this seems like such a reasonable way of sharing files and folders. Shouldn't there be a simple way to do this?

rss81, Apr 6, 2020
  3. newtekie1 Win User
    FTP file transfer not as fast as it should be

There is too much overhead with FTP, it rarely efficiently uses a direct ethernet connection.

Try using a network file transfer instead of FTP. If both computers are on the same private network, there is no reason for FTP.

newtekie1, Apr 6, 2020
  4. Private network file transfer intermittent problem

Error: "Can create home group in private network only" - the wireless network is private though

Hi Ron,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand your concern about connecting to HomeGroup network with error: Can create home group in private network only, we will help you with this issue.

I would like to inform that this issue might have occurred due to settings in the Network type on Windows 10.

Step 1: I suggest you to check with the network type on Windows 10, try the below:

Right click on the Network icon in the System tray
    and click on Open Network and Sharing Center.

Here you will see the network you are connected to and what type of network Windows 10 has identified it as. (Private/ Public).

Step 2: Also, I suggest you to change the network type to Private if it is not and check if it helps.

• Log-in as an Administrator, on the desktop, click on the Network system icon in the taskbar notification area.
    • Right click on your network connection and click on
      Turn sharing on or off
    • Click on Yes, turn on sharing and connect to devices.

• Accept the UAC (User Account Control) prompt and check if it helps.

For reference: HomeGroup problems in Windows

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this issue for further assistance.

Deepika Gowda, Apr 6, 2020
Thema:

Private network file transfer intermittent problem

1. Private network file transfer intermittent problem - Similar Threads - Private network file

2. File sharing over private network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File sharing over private network: How do I enable password protected sharing only for public networks? I want to achieve free sharing for all computers on the private network no passwords necessary, but prevent any sharing on public networks. Is this impossible?...
  3. How to share file access on private network

How to share file access on private network: Have 2 notebooks running Win 10 Pro wirelessly connected to an Xfinety Home F70A-5 gateway router. What settings do I need to configure to allow them to share file access on a private network. 165165
  4. problem sharing folder in private network

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    problem sharing folder in private network: hello, I try to share a folder in a private network. First strange thing is that in the Sharing dialog (that contains 3 sections: Network File and Folder Sharing, Advanced Sharing, Password protection) in the first section the 'Share' button is geyed and unaccessable....
  5. Private network and files

Private network and files: hi. my network is private and i dont have any file or drive shared.however when i pu my ip to file manager on android and put my username and my password i have access to all drivers even local drive C .Why?...
  6. File sharing across my private network

File sharing across my private network: Quite suddenly (I presume after a Windows 10 update) both of my TV media players are unable to access files on my Windows 10 computer. Amongst other things I have tried to turn off password protected sharing, but this change does not save correctly....
  7. Intermittent Problem copying files across my network

Intermittent Problem copying files across my network: I'm having a bizarre problem copying files from one of my networked computers to other computers on the network. Here are the details: I have four computers on my home network, as follows: 1. A home built PC running Windows 10 Home (see system spec in my profile). 2. An...
  8. Private Network

Private Network: Can I still browse the internet if I set my network status to Private? It is currently on Public. I have a second PC that I want to be able to share files and devices. I am assuming is that sharing on public network is more problematic from a security point of view...
  9. File sharing doesn't work in a private network

File sharing doesn't work in a private network: Hi, This problem has been bugging me for quite some time now and I just can't solve it by myself. I got two Windows 10 Pro 64-bit computers connected to a Asus RT-N56U and I try to share files between them. File shng works sometimes (not very often) when I keep restarting...
  10. Private and Public Network Problem

Private and Public Network Problem: Here's what I am trying to accomplish We have events at different locations where we need a private network. The network is wired between a workstation (that acts as a server) and 2-4 data input stations. They are all connected through a switch, which is connected to a...