Windows 10: Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc

Discus and support Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; 1) NETWORK NAMES- See below, My 'automated' private network number/names are showing up different on all my machines. Is there a way to make them all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by mediaman09, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc

1) NETWORK NAMES- See below, My 'automated' private network number/names are showing up different on all my machines. Is there a way to make them all the same? Or rename them? Is this the same or different than the old Workgroup name? I can currently see all my other machines, so this appears to be only a naming situation.

2) HOMEGROUP - I currently have HomeGroup OFF everywhere. Never used it in the past, and I see a few posts about problems. Am I missing something by keeping HomeGroup off?? I have most machines on Windows 10, but still two oldies on XP. I keep a common user account on all machines.

Many thanks

Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc [​IMG]

(PS The reference to "Public" in the screen shot is only because PIA VPN is running)

:)

mediaman09, Aug 18, 2015
  2. buzzed55 Win User

4 computers, 2 active networks?

I have 3 computers on a private ethernet LAN using a Frontier/Netgear 7550 router. All three computers are running Win10 64 Pro.

The network and sharing center status is as follows:

Computer 1 - View active network = "Network 2 private network"

Computer 2 - View active network = "Network Frontier4673 private network"

Computer 3 - View active network = "Network private network"

How did Windows determine these names, what significance do they have, and why can't they be changed?

All three computers show "ready to create" homegroup status. I can create a homegroup on any or all of these computers. When I do, the computer I create the homegroup on shows "Joined" status. None of the other computers see or can join any of these homegroups
    on the other computers though.

The homegroup troubleshooter finds no problem and refers me to the network troubleshooter, which also finds no problem.

I have to assume that the goal of a homegroup is to create a homegroup on one of these computers, and it would then be visible and available to join from any of the others for the purpose of sharing data between the networked computers. Right?

This appears to be a common problem with no definitive solutions. I have found numerous similar problems described on numerous forums all over the web.

buzzed55, Aug 18, 2015
  3. Homegroup isn't working properly

Look for clues with Get-NetConnectionProfile (in PowerShell). In fact, to avoid some gyrations with the the Homegroup troubleshooter I use secpol.msc to allow Private instead of Public as a default location. Otherwise, notice that you may have to avoid
    the offer from the Homegroup troubleshooter of doing Network troubleshooting to be offered the help of making it Private. Etc.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle

---

Robert Aldwinckle on forums, Aug 18, 2015
  4. Zjak Win User

Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc

On no 2)
    Homegroup makes it easier for you to share data between your PC's. Also it makes printer sharing or printing over the network a breeze.

You can select what data you want to share over the network and what you want to keep private. Let me give you an example:

I use my Desktop PC as a backup/server all my important data is stored on it, because of that I minimize the use of it on the internet (for security and privacy reasons) and use my Laptop to do the browsing and downloads etc. Further I allow the other PC's on the homegroup to have access to the video and Pic's on the Desktop, thus I can watch my backed-up series on my Laptop while it is stored on my Desktop. Also because my Desktop is stationary I use my desktop printer as a network printer thru my Desktop PC. as long as my Desktop PC is on I can print from any ware in the house or from any PC and just pick it up when I need it.

You can get your XP machines to connect to the network, just not so sure if it will have the same versatility and functionality thu... here is a link on how to do it...
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...0-802fb585673b

5. Zjak Win User
    PS: This to link it to windows 7... so I hope it works for windows 10... Still a bit of a noob on Windows 10... LOL

6. Re (1), changing the Network 11 name to something else, I suppose a careful regedit search and edit might do it ; just thought there would be a more elegant solution ( like click or right click or edit).

mediaman09, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc

1. Private Network Number/Name, Homegroup etc - Similar Threads - Private Network Number

2. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  3. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public or Private etc.: May have asked before but security is key. If im on computer at home in a highly networked area,computer is personal use not work,,is it Public or private i have to make sure its on????. Network wise?.If it was on the wrong one,,,,, at some point could people get into my...
  4. Public or Private etc.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Private Network

Private Network: Can I still browse the internet if I set my network status to Private? It is currently on Public. I have a second PC that I want to be able to share files and devices. I am assuming is that sharing on public network is more problematic from a security point of view...
  6. Virtual Private Network

Virtual Private Network: Hi, Is there a way to determine if I have a VPN installed. I did not install one. Yet, I see these switches on: Settings > Network and internet > VPN Allow VPN connections over metered networks - on Allow VPN to connect while Roaming. - on I don't see any VPN...
  7. Portable Router for private wifi etc

Portable Router for private wifi etc: Hi folks Increasingly Hotels etc are charging extra for their wifi if you have more than one connection in the room Well using a portable router creates your own private wifi network which you can share with other people / devices -- this one also has 5GHZ capability so...
  8. Networking issue (Homegroup etc)

Networking issue (Homegroup etc): Hi, I have been trying to setup a network between 2 Windows 10 computers. I have tried the homegroup route but receive an error. I have turned off firewalls, AV Protection, etc. I have tried just sharing the folders out over network but cannot do it. I am stumped. I need...
  9. Homegroup/Networking Problems

Homegroup/Networking Problems: I adopted the Windows 10 preview back before July, did a fresh install and had it working with another PC here at home which was Windows 7 Ultimate x 64. The homegroup worked fine between the two... but after I upgraded the Windows 7 machine, it stopped working. I used the...
  10. Computer Name Wrong in Homegroup But Right on Network?

Computer Name Wrong in Homegroup But Right on Network?: I have what I think is a simple problem. Here is a picture of the swapped names as I can't seem to find anybody else with this issue as I searched. [img] How do I get 1 out of 2? What have I done wrong? Thanks for the help! . . . 78489