Windows 10: private network setting

Discus and support private network setting in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; i can not open but i see my private folder on my network (i can open public folder only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by olivierKG, Jul 8, 2019.

1. olivierKG Win User

private network setting

i can not open but i see my private folder on my network (i can open public folder only

:)

olivierKG, Jul 8, 2019
  2. Stud_1946 Win User

How to change the network setting (Private, public, etc)

this answer from a different Microsoft page worked for me

private network setting [​IMG]
    Giridhar
    J
    replied on

• Microsoft

Accomplishments

• Microsoft

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Stud_1946, Jul 8, 2019
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, Jul 8, 2019
  4. redturtle Win User

private network setting

Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10  

Hi Brink and thank you for the welcome private network setting :)

I tried what you suggested but when doing this, i noticed that whenever i am connected to my VPN, the Windows network shows up as "unidentified network" instead of network 1,2,3 or whatever. So when i went into regedit and looked for networks, i found some but none called unidentified.
    There was one network with the value 0 so i changed it to 1 (private) but after checking, my VPN connection still shows as public.

I am not really sure why it says unidentified network in Windows when i am connected to the VPN but it seems that this is the cause for the problem. If i could only find the VPN network in the list of networks in regedit, i think i would be able to change the value to 1.

Hmm..not sure how to proceed with this. Any ideas?

private network setting [​IMG]

redturtle, Jul 8, 2019
Thema:

private network setting

1. private network setting - Similar Threads - private network setting

2. Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public or Private Home Wifi and Network Firewall settings?: I am a home user. I am confused as I read different descriptions of Public and Private and where they are used. What should my Home Wifi and Network Firewall be set as? Are the Wifi settings and Network Firewall settings two different Public and Private settings? 1. Windows...
  3. public or private network settings

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    public or private network settings: windows 10, network created as private to enable sharing of network devices, but the public network takes over when rebooting, how to make the private settings stay primary? aslo the subnet pickups up the wifi factory address as 192.168.7.1 and locks to 255.255.255.0 no...
  4. Public or Private Network

Public or Private Network: Hello, May I ask: Should a home PC user select (from their network properties) the Public or Private Network Option? I don't want my PC to be viewed or discoverable by any neighbors in the WiFi Network. I will not be file sharing. Just simply want security. Thanks...
  5. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?: I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The explantion of what the settings are, are confusing. Public says, "Your PC is hidden from other devices on the network and...
  6. Setting public to private networks

Setting public to private networks: I have a VPN for internet traffic which has a virtual adaptor, that is set to private. But the real adaptor is set to a public network and I want to set it to see other devices, therefore I want to change it to private how do I do this in build 1809? Winver says I have win...
  7. Private Network

Private Network: Can I still browse the internet if I set my network status to Private? It is currently on Public. I have a second PC that I want to be able to share files and devices. I am assuming is that sharing on public network is more problematic from a security point of view...
  8. ethernet private network

ethernet private network: [ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] What happen? เกิดอะไรขึ้น เราควรแก้ไขยั https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ethernet-private-network/2a07eab8-c986-44af-8ddc-4f3739420e53
  9. Virtual Private Network

Virtual Private Network: Hi, Is there a way to determine if I have a VPN installed. I did not install one. Yet, I see these switches on: Settings > Network and internet > VPN Allow VPN connections over metered networks - on Allow VPN to connect while Roaming. - on I don't see any VPN...
  10. Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Set Network Location to Private or Public in Windows 10: How to: Set Network Location to Private, Public, or Domain in Windows 10 How to Set Network Location to Private, Public, or Domain in Windows 10 A network location identifies the type of network that a PC is connected to with a network adapter. By default, the first...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. My Private Threads