Windows 10: Private Network situation making me crazy.

Discus and support Private Network situation making me crazy. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have been working on this for a while and it is just driving me insane so I am finally looking for help. Here is the situation. I have a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by emhouston, Feb 25, 2017.

1. emhouston Win User

Private Network situation making me crazy.

I have been working on this for a while and it is just driving me insane so I am finally looking for help.

Here is the situation.

I have a private (home) network connected to the Internet (Infinity) through my Linksys Model EA3500 router. All is good.

Connected (wirelessly) I have 2 desktops (1 Gateway, 1 Asus) and a laptop (HP) all running Windows 10 latest update. Also connected I have an Xbox One, 2 Cells (1 Galaxy4, 1 Galaxy 5), 4 tablets (2 Kindle Fire, 1 Lenovo, 1 RCA).

All are visible from the Router.

HP laptop can see and connect to both the Asus and Gateway desktops and share files
    Asus can connect to HP laptop and share files and can see but cannot connect to the Gateway desktop.
    Gateway desktop cannot see Asus desktop on network but can see and connect to HP Laptop.

I created a workgroup on the Gateway (which I consider the main computer on the network) but none of the other computers are given the option to join the workgroup. They only have the option to create a new workgroup. I have gone around the house and none of the machines can see a workgroup created on any of the other machines to join it. They all say there are no workgroups created on the network. !!!!!

All machines are set to the same network. All machines have discovery turned on. What $#@ is going on here? Is it a conspiracy? Have the machines finally turned against me? Help!

:)

emhouston, Feb 25, 2017
  2. Saltgrass Win User

Network connection duplicated

If it is showing as Public, maybe you have a setting in the Network & Internet which is allowing automatic connections to Hotspots or some similar situation.

There have been times, after an update where my local network will be shows as Public. Of course, the system wants to make it discoverable so that is a sign to me to check my connection to make sure it is set as private.

Saltgrass, Feb 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 won't download updates

I have another thing to check. make sure you are on a "private network" not a "public network".

Control Panel\Network and Sharing Center. Make sure Network is private.

This stopped me from updating, it also took down Windows Defender.

John Hastie, Feb 25, 2017
  4. bro67 Win User

What Internet Security software are you running?

bro67, Feb 25, 2017
  5. emhouston Win User
    I'm running Windows Defender and yes, I have checked the firewall.

emhouston, Feb 25, 2017
  6. bro67 Win User
    All computers need to have the workgroup named "Workgroup". If you do not place all machines to use the same workgroup name, you will not see all of them.

bro67, Feb 26, 2017
  7. Kyhi Win User
    Also all computers must be using Private network setting - not public network

windows 10 by default makes all networks a public

8. bro67 Win User

The other is that your Linksys is the Gateway, all machines are just workstations. Using two devices to hand out IP's will just cause problems.

bro67, Feb 27, 2017
  9. ALL computers on a network MUST have the same workgroup name. You can change the workgroup name of your pc as shown on the attached simply by going to Control Panel/ System. From there click Change Settings and on the box which comes up simply type the desired workgroup name as shown. Click OK and then re-boot.
    Click on the image to get a larger view.

Private Network situation making me crazy. [​IMG]

oldtraveler, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Private Network situation making me crazy. - Similar Threads - Private Network situation

2. Windows 10 makes me crazy

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 makes me crazy: I used to print greeting cards of my own design from templates I set up in Word. They printed fine in Windows 7. But, on my "new" computer with Windows 10, no matter what settings I use, the pictures on the front of the cards partially print in the center at the top of the...
  3. Windows 10 makes me crazy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows 10 makes me crazy: I used to print greeting cards of my own design from templates I set up in Word. They printed fine in Windows 7. But, on my "new" computer with Windows 10, no matter what settings I use, the pictures on the front of the cards partially print in the center at the top of the...
  4. Windows 10 makes me crazy

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. DPC Watchdog Violation is making me crazy

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    DPC Watchdog Violation is making me crazy: Hi,since a few weeks, my PC keeps crashing, mostly when playing games. Nothing is overclocked. Nothing is overheating. Standard BIOS settings. Pretty much everything has new drivers, i did not recognize this behaviour shortly after installing a new driver but its too long...
  6. new build make me crazy

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    new build make me crazy: hi, I built a new pc to replace the old one which was 15 years old. I choose Ryzen 3800x Gigabyte rtx 2060 super gaming Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS samsung EVO 970 nvme m.2 Windows 10 and i always try last windows insider version 19041 All drivers and bios are up to date...
  7. Making All Networks Private By Default

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Making All Networks Private By Default: Hello. I have Windows 10 and I exclusively use ethernet, I don't even have an adapter to be able to connect to a wireless network, so logically any network I will ever connect to will most likely be private as I won't have ethernet access to any public networks, yet Windows...
  8. How to make Private Network Connected

How to make Private Network Connected: Hello I’m not able to connect to the internet because my Private network says its “Not Connected”. Does anyone know how i can make it “connected”"? Thank you [IMG]...
  9. Making a public network private

Making a public network private: I recently got a new router to increase my internet speed and every thing I've seen on the internet on how to make my network private doesn't work. This is very frustrating and I never use forums like this to help but It seems to be the only choice I have....
  10. Need to make network connections private

Need to make network connections private: Hello, I have tried for 3 hours tonight to get my computer to connect to the Internet at my dad's house and I cannot do it. I have tried many of the tings listed in other posts and no results. I am wondering If I can no longer set up new WiFi spots on my laptop at this...