Windows 10: Private or Public Connection Required?

Discus and support Private or Public Connection Required? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 which is for personal use only and no-one uses it but myself. I noticed on my connection to broadband fibre... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by alfred sisley, May 21, 2022.

1. Private or Public Connection Required?

I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 which is for personal use only and no-one uses it but myself. I noticed on my connection to broadband fibre it showed `public connection`. I tried to change it to private but it has not changed. Can anyone please explain this to me and what I should do to change it to `private`.Thank you.

:)

alfred sisley, May 21, 2022
  2. Winuser Win User

Private or Public

I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box on the task bar it only shows my wi-fi connections and not my wired connection. I'm connected by wire to the router. I'm using build 10162 upgraded from Windows 8.1.1.

Winuser, May 21, 2022
  3. Change Network from Public to Private

Hi,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

I suggest you to follow the steps below to
    change your network from Public to Private:

• Type PowerShell in Search Window and then right click on it and click on
      Run as Administrator.

• Type the following command to find your interface Index:
      Get-NetConnectionProfile

• Use your interface index (for example 5) with this command:
      Set-NetConnectionProfile -InterfaceIndex 5 -NetworkCategory Private

• Now reboot the device and check if the network has changed from Public to Private.
    Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Giridhar J, May 21, 2022
  4. PatA& Win User

Private or Public Connection Required?

Changing wifi settings from public to private

I have seen the same question being asked with the same answer that apparently does not exist: I want to change my WiFi connection from public to private. The suggestion I keep seeing is:

1. On the right side of the taskbar, select the Wi-Fi network icon.
    2. Under the name of the Wi-Fi network that you’re connected to, select
      Properties
    3. Under Network profile, select Public or
      Private
    Well I am running WIndows Home version 1903 and there is no link called
    Network profile
    where I can select between Public or
    Private

PatA&, May 21, 2022
Thema:

Private or Public Connection Required?

1. Private or Public Connection Required? - Similar Threads - Private Public Connection

2. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  3. Public/Private WiFi Connections

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Public/Private WiFi Connections: Hi,Just setting up Windows 11 for the first time and the public vs private seems back to front with the description and recommendation.Am I missing something??...
  4. Private or Public Connection Required?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Private or Public Connection Required?: I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 which is for personal use only and no-one uses it but myself. I noticed on my connection to broadband fibre it showed `public connection`. I tried to change it to private but it has not changed. Can anyone please explain this to me...
  5. Private or Public Connection Required?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Private or Public Connection Required?: I have a desktop computer with Windows 10 which is for personal use only and no-one uses it but myself. I noticed on my connection to broadband fibre it showed `public connection`. I tried to change it to private but it has not changed. Can anyone please explain this to me...
  6. Public or Private

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public or Private: I have a PC on my network connected via Ethernet, should I set the network profile to Public or Private? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/public-or-private/b5726991-3097-48a7-8942-a09107bd04d3
  7. No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection

No Private/Public switch for Ethernet connection: Hello, Where is the Public/Private switch has gone for Ethernet connection? I need to switch my ethernet connection from public to private. I have connected two PCs using ethernet cross-over cable Thanks Windows 10 Pro 1909 18363.592 [ATTACH]...
  8. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  9. Public to Private

Public to Private: Can't switch from public to private with 1083 build. Is there a solution? I've tried some from the internet, none worked. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/public-to-private/19e102bf-9b7f-43d5-8d3b-affc260109c3
  10. Private or Public

Private or Public: I just noticed in Windows defender My network is listed as public. Does it matter if my network is listed as private or public. I found how to change it if I have to. I just want to know if it matters. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. In the network box...