Windows 10: Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings

Discus and support Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I discovered a problem on one of my two Windows 10 Pro PCs both with version 2004 installed not recognizing the private profile setting in advanced... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by MEA707, Oct 21, 2020.

1. MEA707 Win User

Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings

I discovered a problem on one of my two Windows 10 Pro PCs both with version 2004 installed not recognizing the private profile setting in advanced sharing.

When I have my WiFi or Ethernet connection set as Private, the Advanced Sharing Settings doesn't recognize that it is the current profile:

Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings 35be669b-5ae7-4120-a8a2-5589989e44a4?upload=true.png

My other PC detects it as a private profile automatically.

However, if I change the WiFi or Ethernet connection to public, it is automatically recognized in Advanced Sharing Settings no problem:

Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings a4e0e334-4b30-4b6d-b3fb-ef5e117e2d54?upload=true.png

I have tried disabling/reenabling network discovery and also doing a complete Network Reset, but it's not resolving it.

Anyone have any idea how to resolve this?

:)

MEA707, Oct 21, 2020
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Windows 7 advanced sharing settings not staying

In Windows 7, I can't get my advanced sharing settings to stick. If I change something in the Home profile, the Public profile might change along with it, or it just won't stick at all.

3. Zaffer Win User
    Main computer discovered on Public but not Private Profile

Hi,
    I am running Windows 10 on two home computers. I have them networked together via ethernet cable to my ATT modem/router. If I make my Ethernet profile Public, both computers One and Two are present/discovered, but if I change the setting to Private, only computer Two is present. I have File and Printer sharing enabled for both Public and Private Profiles in Advanced Network Sharing settings, and I have File and Printer Sharing as allowed apps in Windows Defender Firewall. I also have the following services set to Automatic: DNS Client, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery and UPnP Device Host. If possible, I would like to get both computers present while in Private Profile, but if that is not possible, can someone tell me if it's OK to run my network in Public Profile. Would this be safe given two home computers connected with Ethernet cables to a modem/router? Thanks.

Zaffer, Oct 21, 2020
  4. Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings

Windows 7 advanced sharing settings not staying

ugh, ive pretty much given up trying to understand how windows 7 handles sharing. i hope you get it figured out.

Easy Rhino, Oct 21, 2020
Thema:

Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings

1. Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings - Similar Threads - Private profile being

2. File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings: I experienced this problem after I can only assume an update to windows 11 features or a security update. Cannot nail down what caused it.Every time I clicked the save button after selecting the [turn on file and printer sharing] and then returned to look at the setting it...
  3. File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Share setting will not save on Manage Advanced Sharing Settings: I experienced this problem after I can only assume an update to windows 11 features or a security update. Cannot nail down what caused it.Every time I clicked the save button after selecting the [turn on file and printer sharing] and then returned to look at the setting it...
  4. Files and software being shared between profiles

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files and software being shared between profiles: I created another profile on my laptop to use just for my office. But when I create local user, it brings over stuff from my main account with games and other software. Also, I downloaded Adobe Acrobat on my work profile and it also shows up on my main profile. Is there any...
  5. Files and software being shared between profiles

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Files and software being shared between profiles: I created another profile on my laptop to use just for my office. But when I create local user, it brings over stuff from my main account with games and other software. Also, I downloaded Adobe Acrobat on my work profile and it also shows up on my main profile. Is there any...
  6. Advanced Sharing Settings not showing current network profile as Private.

Advanced Sharing Settings not showing current network profile as Private.: Hi, in my laptop I have noticed that in Advanced Sharing Settings, the current network profile is not showing as private by default.Whereas in my network settings, it is selected as private network.But when I'm selecting public network in the network settings, it is showing...
  7. Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings

Private profile not being recognized with Advanced Sharing Settings: I discovered a problem on one of my two Windows 10 Pro PCs (both with version 2004 installed) not recognizing the private profile setting in advanced sharing. When I have my WiFi or Ethernet connection set as Private, the Advanced Sharing Settings doesn't recognize that it...
  8. Advanced Sharing Settings keeps resetting

Advanced Sharing Settings keeps resetting: In order to share files between computers on the same local network I need to go into Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center/Change Advance Sharing Settings and enable "Turn on network discovery" and "Turn on file and printer sharing." I enable these settings on the three...
  9. Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?

Should Network profile be set on Public or Private?: I'm on my home computer, should I have my Network profile set on Public or Private? I do not want any my computer being detected by any network. The explantion of what the settings are, are confusing. Public says, "Your PC is hidden from other devices on the network and...
  10. Windows Firewall And Advanced Sharing Settings

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Firewall And Advanced Sharing Settings: Hello. I'm running the latest Windows 10. At the moment I'm running windows firewall. One of the reasons I'm using windows firewall is because in the advanced sharing settings, network discovery and file and printer sharing is turned off in private, guest and public, and all...