Windows 10: Problem accessing other devices on my network

Discus and support Problem accessing other devices on my network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 7, if I needed to grab something off the desktop of one of my other boxes, I would just run something like the following...... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by dcj1978, May 8, 2016.

1. dcj1978 Win User

Problem accessing other devices on my network

In Windows 7, if I needed to grab something off the desktop of one of my other boxes, I would just run something like the following...

\\COMPUTERNAME\c$\users\myself\desktop

and it would open an explorer window to that folder on that box.

When I try this from the search bar on Windows 10, I get nothing but errors. Is there another way I should be doing this from Windows 10?

Thanks in advance

:)

dcj1978, May 8, 2016

2. Other names or devices on My Network

I just recently enabled network sharing on Windows 10.

When I click on Network I can see all of the computers on my network, but occasionally I see neighbors phones or other devices I do not recognize.

Did I set it up incorrectly or is it insecure? I set up a WD MyCloud storage on my LAN and certainly do not want others to have access to it.

Thanks for any help.

MikeCockayne, May 8, 2016
  3. Ian Ser Win User
    Other names or devices on My Network

Hello Mike,

Check out MrDave_007's explanation on this thread about why
    there are other devices showing up on your network. You can also try to read the other community member's posts on that thread for more information about this issue.

Let us know if you need further assistance.

Ian Ser, May 8, 2016
  4. RWOne Win User

How about listing the errors in detail?

RWOne, May 8, 2016
  5. wyldman68 Win User
    Have you tried using the IP address instead of the "Computername". Also, have you enabled file sharing in the Firewall?

wyldman68, May 8, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Why not just open explorer and find the Network share, or just Map it? You are doing three times the work for a one step solution.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem accessing other devices on my network - Similar Threads - Problem accessing devices

2. I can see all other devices on my network except to other computers, on other devices they...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    I can see all other devices on my network except to other computers, on other devices they...: I have tried many fixes and none have worked. Literally every other device is visble https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/i-can-see-all-other-devices-on-my-network-except/8f744a6c-dd13-4fd2-aa9a-217b5cb0af3a
  3. Can't access other computer in network but other can access mine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't access other computer in network but other can access mine: so i cant acces other computer via network sharing but other computer can access mine. im in windows 11 newest version please help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-access-other-computer-in-network-but-other/47ecbb83-f674-4a16-8b3b-9d94630e132e
  4. File sharing and network device access problem

File sharing and network device access problem: I have a problem with one of my laptops not being able to access shared folders. The network uses a TPlink Archer C2300 router and I have a desktop PC running Win 7 connected to this by Ethernet. I also have a Lenovo W530 laptop and a Lenovo ThinkBook 15-IML which both...
  5. Having problem with Imail, Elearn and Turnitin for not accessing other devices

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having problem with Imail, Elearn and Turnitin for not accessing other devices: Hi! I had a problem between my laptop HP Windows 10 and other devices. I can access my Imail, Elearn and Turnitin by using my imail and password by using my laptopHP Windows 10, but i cannot access my Imail, Elearn and Turnitin by using other devices like my phone, my...
  6. network access problems

network access problems: so i dont want one of my programs to access the internet so i went to firewall to disable the program from accessing the internet but it still connects can anybody help me with this issue...
  7. Network Access Problem

in Windows 10 Customization
    Network Access Problem: Computers: Workgroup WIN 10 Pro X64 running Version 1803 - Desktop WIN 10 Pro X64 running Version 1809 - Laptop Using the Network icon I am able to access both computers with the Laptop. Using the Network icon I am not able to access the Laptop from the Desktop. I get...
  8. No Other Devices Identified in Network?

No Other Devices Identified in Network?: Hi All, Any thoughts as to why my neighbors TV is showing on my PC devices as a "Display". I understand the Microsoft Wifi-Direct Principles and how to turn off, but I am on a LAN not Wireless and the virtual adapter is not present! If I can see their media devices, I am...
  9. Other Devices Identified in Network?

in Windows 10 Support
    Other Devices Identified in Network?: Hi All, Any thoughts as to why my neighbors TV is showing on my PC devices as a "Display". I understand the Microsoft Wifi-Direct Principles and how to turn off, but I am on a LAN not Wireless and the virtual adapter is not present! If I can see their media devices, I am...
  10. W10 no longer can access other devices on network.

W10 no longer can access other devices on network.: I THINK I found the problem/answer in another thread, ... but it is an old thread and I am not sure. That thread is here: Cannot access shared network drive In any case, here is the case: Computer #1 DELL W10-64 Computer #2 Toshiba W7-64 Computer #3 Acer W7-32 NAT...