Windows 10: Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy

Discus and support Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Clean install just before Christmas, all good. After New Years, I realised that my bios was set to IDE. Ssd's work faster if they are set to AHCI. So... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Apples, Jan 14, 2019.

1. Apples Win User

Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy

Clean install just before Christmas, all good.

After New Years, I realised that my bios was set to IDE. Ssd's work faster if they are set to AHCI. So I changed the bios to AHCI and then performed a clean install.

Long story short, since swapping from ide which worked fine. To now on AHCI, every time I try to play any games the graphics card lags out. From say 60 down to 7, then 65 down to 10 fps etc.

Every thing I can think of has been updated.

What is causing this issue?

I have read about using the intel RST software and drivers.

Also my ssd is a crucial 2.5" 128gb.

What is going on.......

Peter

:)

Apples, Jan 14, 2019
  2. Rudy Mas Win User

AHCI vs regular Native IDE

If you want to change IDE to AHCI in windows 10, without a clean install, do the following steps:

• Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
    • Restart PC and go into you BIOS -> Set IDE to AHCI
    • Windows 10 will start if Safe Mode
    • Open Command Prompt (Admin)
    • type: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
    • Restart and Windows 10 should load with AHCI enabled now

Until now, I had a 100% succes rate with this, but in the case Windows 10 wouldn't start, go back into your BIOS and set AHCI to IDE.

Rudy Mas, Jan 14, 2019
  3. wwsras Win User
    W10 AHCI Reverts Back to IDE

I initially had difficulty with W10 recognizing AHCI properly in order to use my SSD drive. I located a fix which provided instructions to change 2 registry settings:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\....Change Error Control entry and StartOverride to 0

I did so and everything works fine for awhile but W10 eventually drops the AHCI controller causing my PC to more or less come to a standstill. The registry changes I made actually revert back to the original settings before I changed both to 0. How strange.
    I have to reboot, disable AHCI in BIOS, change the registry settings back to 0, reboot, re-enable AHCI in BIOS and everything works again as planned...until it happens again.

Any suggestions why this keeps happening and how I can permanently configure W10 and the registry to always recognize AHCI?

Thanks

wwsras, Jan 14, 2019
  4. wwsras Win User

W10 AHCI Reverts Back to IDE

I've never received a response after posting my question in Technet. Since that time I've continued to experience the same issue. For now I've given up trying to make AHCI work consistently with W10. I've changed BIOS to IDE and also changed back the registry
    settings. I'm hoping I see no new problems arise. If so I'll repost.

wwsras, Jan 14, 2019
Thema:

1. Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy - Similar Threads - Problem clean install

2. IDE to AHCI new install Help

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    IDE to AHCI new install Help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD870 EVO. I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  3. IDE to AHCI help

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    IDE to AHCI help: I have a somewhat dated system with AMD. I finally decided to switch from a mechanical to a SSD(870 EVO). I'm not totally "new" to computers, but there is quite a bit I'm not familiar with. I bought a SSD because I do quite a lot of gaming and what not. HDD seem to slow that...
  4. Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation

Change Windows 10 install FROM AHCI to IDE/ATA after installation: I need to change an existing Windows 10 Home 64-bit installation startup drive from AHCI to IDE a step backwards, but is needed to accommodate another operating system in a multi-boot environment. I do not wish to install Windows 10 again. I am able to change the motherboard...
  5. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  6. AHCI and IDE

in Windows 10 Support
    AHCI and IDE: Hello, I'm going to put two SSD and one HDD into a desktop. They should arrive from NewEgg today. I know the SSD's need to be AHCI, but looking in the bios I see I can set SATA channels 1 - 4 as AHCI but still have the option of setting 5 & 6 as IDE. Is it best to put the...
  7. Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem after clean install of W10. IDE to AHCI, graphics now laggy: Clean install just before Christmas, all good. After New Years, I realised that my bios was set to IDE. Ssd's work faster if they are set to AHCI. So I changed the bios to AHCI and then performed a clean install. Long story short, since swapping from ide which worked fine....
  8. Clean install after upgrading to W10?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clean install after upgrading to W10?: It appears that I have to upgrade install w10 to get the free W10. After that, is it possible to clean install the W10 in place of the W10 install upgraded from W7 or W8.1? 9204
  9. AHCI vs regular Native IDE

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    AHCI vs regular Native IDE: Hello. I feel that setting your SATA harddisks to AHCI mode can be mandatory when you have a SSD drive. Doing some benchmarks on my Intel i7 shows that my SSD it's 50% slower running under IDE. Besides I am not sure but does IDE support TRIM commands? But what about...
  10. Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.

Problems installing W10 to a clean/new SSD.: So i just bought a bigger SSD to install w10 on and the installer runs fine right up until the first restart. Computer restarts and the W10 installer is back at the start where I select the language. Im installing from an USB boot stick which I made with microsofts own tool....