Windows 10: Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error

Discus and support Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; From some time when i make a backup with Acronis, my system alert me for some error on VSSD ref. 12293. Attached image of situation on c proprity and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by hispanico, Aug 31, 2020.

1. hispanico Win User

Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error

From some time when i make a backup with Acronis, my system alert me for some error on VSSD ref. 12293.
    Attached image of situation on c proprity and lof of VSSDoctor.
    When i go in system properties the protection is disable and is impossible enable ...
    I try also with powershell
    C:\> Enable-ComputerRestore -Drive "C:"but nothing

Please can you give me some advice to solve ??

Thank
    Hispa

:)

hispanico, Aug 31, 2020
  2. UdaySwami Win User

Persistent VSS snapshot gets removed from restored VM

Persistent VSS snapshot is getting removed for some volumes on my VM on VMWare, below are the steps I used to do this

1] Take persistent VSS snapshot of SQL using SQl writer

2] Take VM snapshot and backup with one of the backup agents

3] Restore the same snapshot of VM

When I power on the restored VM the persistent VSS snapshot I took before backup gets removed for one of the volumes for others it is still there as expected.

I have faced this issue very rarely, I use this method to take backups regularly but it has failed with this error only 3 times out of 1000.

Earlier I thought this was due to system drive but it has happened on other drives as well.

UdaySwami, Aug 31, 2020
  3. D_Watson Win User
    Veeam backups failing since 1803 install with 0x80042306 VSS timeout error

On desktop machine here, post 1803 update, Veeam backups are repeatably failing. Associated event viewer information:

Veeam Agent 'Backup Job DIYNUC' finished with Failed.

Job details: Creating VSS snapshot Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.

Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.

VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].

Error: Failed to create snapshot: Backup job failed.

Cannot create a shadow copy of the volumes containing writer's data.

VSS asynchronous operation is not completed. Operation: [Shadow copies commit]. Code: [0x80042306].

The shadow copy of volume \\?\Volume{0e1a4bd5-2758-4ab6-a00c-05bc7333610a} being created failed to install.

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error DeviceIoControl(\\?\Volume{0e1a4bd5-2758-4ab6-a00c-05bc7333610a} - 000000000000021C,0x0053c008,000001DDF8C0A6B0,0,000001DDF8C0B6E0,4096,[0]). hr = 0x80070079, The semaphore timeout period has expired.

This was working for months before 1803 installation. And works on my 1803 laptop.

Any suggestions?

D_Watson, Aug 31, 2020
  4. proton Win User

Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

I have a full disk no other partitions on the disk. I mean one partition only.

Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error [​IMG]

I restored from a previous backup and found out that my PC was booting from Disk Zero and not the Windows disk, so had to recreated the MBR. Which seems to work now. But still have that VSS problem.

proton, Aug 31, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem backup failed due to a VSS snapshot error - Similar Threads - Problem backup failed

2. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  3. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306: I have an HP Laptop that was native Windows 7 upgraded to Windows 10. Now in dealing with the User running out of HD space, I was going to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SATA HD to another larger SATA HD. In working with Macrium support and after attempting to use their...
  4. VSS Failure: Failed to create Volume Snapshot. Result Code: 0x80042306

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. VSS snapshots not successful after upgrading to win11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    VSS snapshots not successful after upgrading to win11: Hi,After upgrading to windows 11 we are facing an error on generating the VSS snapshots.We have gone through the below URL - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/volume-shadow-copy-service-eventsSome of the regsvr32 commands fail,...
  6. VSS snapshots not successful after upgrading to win11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    VSS snapshots not successful after upgrading to win11: Hi,After upgrading to windows 11 we are facing an error on generating the VSS snapshots.We have gone through the below URL - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/backup-and-storage/volume-shadow-copy-service-eventsSome of the regsvr32 commands fail,...
  7. Vss snapshot storage problem. Windows 10 pro system.

Vss snapshot storage problem. Windows 10 pro system.: I use a backup program from acronis.com and it gets errors due to problems with too little an amount of snapshot storage their tech said I needed to get microsoft to fix my vss storage. The version of acronis that have the problem with is true image 2020 and true image 2021...
  8. VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup

VSS/TPM errors causing inability to backup: Hi all! I have recently purchased Acronis True Image 2020 to use as my backup software. However, I have not been able to make a single succesfull backup. Whenever I try to make a backup whether that is to the Acronis Cloud or to an external HDD I get the following error...
  9. Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Failed to Create Volume Snapshot Macrium Error 0x8004230f VSS Error: Hi, So I upgraded my SSD from 250GB to 1TB, I used Clonezilla to clone my disk and I deleted all the extra partitions it had copied over. I assume this is where the restore or backup files were. Windows booted fine and I tried to do a backup with Paragon which failed. I...
  10. Unable to create VSS snapshot

Unable to create VSS snapshot: I'm using a tool to backup my Windows 10 system and it shows this error when I start the process: FAILED: The VSS snapshots cannot be stored because there is not enough space on the source volumes or because the source machine does not have any NTFS volumes. Error code:...