Windows 10: Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging)

Discus and support Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; My Toshiba Satellite L55-B5271 laptop updated to Windows 10 Version 1809 Build 17763.475 (Home, 64) a couple of weeks ago. Like every other update, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JDHinAL, May 7, 2019.

1. JDHinAL Win User

Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging)

My Toshiba Satellite L55-B5271 laptop updated to Windows 10 Version 1809 Build 17763.475 (Home, 64) a couple of weeks ago. Like every other update, I had mild annoyances occur. Like before, I fixed lost settings, file associations, and the like, while ignoring anything less intrusive to my work. Note: I used to chase down and try to fix every issue, but rarely was a fix ever available except to wait for Microsoft to patch things. So I decidedly jumped off of the merry-go-round until an issue surfaced that couldn't be wholly ignored.

Well, it arrived yesterday. My laptop gave me a critically low battery indicator message, then promptly shut down. Boom! Dead as a doornail. I thought, "Oops! My power got unplugged!" Not the case: power supply was intact everywhere. So I unplugged everything... power to wall, power to converter, and power to laptop... and plugged it back in. Booted laptop. Laptop came on, Windows began to load and battery indicator appeared to be charging. However, by the time Windows fully loaded, the battery indicator was back to its ugly state: 0% available (plugged in, charging). To date, it has not changed from that state.

I have done some research. Sorry Microsoft! But as usual, your ultimate response is to blame it on failing hardware. Some people have purchased all new hardware (power adapters to batteries), but are still having the same problem. So I am not going that route. In fact, through the years, if I had purchased a new pc every time there was a Windows mystery problem, I would be financially broke with a warehouse full of not really broken pcs. Furthermore, this problem is occurring on brand new out of the box pcs updating to Version1809.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall the 2 battery drivers. No joy.

My battery is not removeable. So I cannot discharge/reset it without opening up the back. Over my head! (PC manufacturers, I sure hope this was an obsolete trend (major faux pas) by the time I have to buy my next laptop.)

Flash the bios? Previously did that in real time with a manufacturer tech on a brand new Windows 8/Windows 8.1 Ready laptop and the laptop bricked. Only willing to do now as a very last resort.

Ran power trouble shooter. No issues found. Really?!? How can that be given the info to follow?

Read where power plan settings could be a problem. Set mine years ago, never looked at them again. Decided I should.

Wow! I found power plan settings in 4 different locations on this laptop!

1.) Toshiba eco Utility is accessed via the taskbar battery icon. It has 2 on/off switches for the eco power plan. The first switch is easily seen on main page. The second switch is a couple of levels deep. The switches appear redundant to me. But one of my switches was on, while the other one was off. I read them as both should be on, or both should be off.

2.) Windows Power Options had the power plan as Balanced with different inactivity/time-out minutes set than the Toshiba eco Utility.

3.) Windows Advanced Power Settings had different settings than the previous 2 plans in regards to inactivity/time-out minutes.

4.) Windows Mobility Center had a different power plan than Toshiba eco Utility.

Really?!? 4 location settings for just the battery? All with primarily non-matching settings? Plus the trouble shooter thought all was well? Oh, my!

Because I rarely use the battery (except to change rooms), I selected the eco setting across all 4 locations. Still no joy. Now I am wondering about my having a corrupt registry. I think I remember that can be repaired, but I will have to read up on it again before trying it.

The main purposes of this posting is:

1.) See if anyone else has a solution.

2.) Share what I think is odd about the 4 power setting locations.

3.) Ask everyone with this problem if they also have OEM installed battery software that maybe isn't playing nice with Microsoft so that a recognizable common denominator might be found.

4.) Ask Microsoft if the OEM installed battery software can be uninstalled so that only Microsoft controls my power/battery.

5.) Ask everyone if they had one of the laptops with a potentially bad battery that a special software install and check had to be done on a couple of years ago. (Just discovered that I never uninstalled my software check package. Hmmm, more outside interference? Need to uninstall it now?)

6.) And, sorry in advance... vent! Please Microsoft, would you please get an across the board stable Windows edition for most reasonably aged laptops before putting Windows on steroids again with more brand new features. (For example, if my home's roof leaks, I think that I should truly fix it instead of simply patching it before I install an Olympic size pool. Just saying.)

Hope everyone affected or interested will exchange thoughts or ideas towards a solution.

:)

JDHinAL, May 7, 2019
  2. Zeeba# Win User

0% availability (plugged in, charging)

If the battery is old it might have run its course but if that's not the can do the following to check what the problem

Computer laptop that is plugged in but not charging

• Shutdown the laptop
    • Remove the battery ( note some batteries cannot easily be removed you may need to consult your laptop manual on how to remove them)
    • Clean the battery and terminals with a dry clean cloth
    • Put the battery back
    • Turn on the laptop
    • If it still say plugged in but not charging dont panick continue to follow more steps below
    Reinstall Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery.

This is the software that control battery settings power mode and so on

This article describes the steps in detail
    http://accatech.com/dell-laptop-plugged-in-but-not-charging-fix/

Zeeba#, May 7, 2019
  3. battery charge problem - '0% available(plugged in, not charging) '

I am getting this issue for from last week.

Battery is not getting charged and showing as '0% available(plugged in, not charging) '.

I had tried with driver uninstall and install. And even if removing battery and adding again.

My laptop model is - Lenovo Flex 2.

Please share the solution soon.

sumanpatro, May 7, 2019
  4. Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging)

0% Available ( Plugged in , Charging )

Hello Community,

I have an Hp Pavilion Windows 10 laptop that is almost 2 years old.

The system has been off for sometime and not in use with the battery life low and now plugged in the notification bar has the battery icon not indicating that the battery is actually charging and when hovering over the battery icon It says, '0% available
    (plugged in, charging)'

When the power adaptor is removed from the power the battery appears to have no power available and the when plugged back in the power system does not actually recharge.

I have tried installing and re-installing that Microsoft ACPI -Compliant stuff then shutdown and start again but still the same thing.Battery starts charging for few minutes and it stops indicating '0% available (plugged
    in, charging)'

What do you think maybe the issue here with this system?

Regards

Florence

FlorenceKamara, May 7, 2019
Thema:

Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging)

1. Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging) - Similar Threads - Problem Battery Status

2. 0% available plugged in but not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    0% available plugged in but not charging: 0% available plugged in but not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0-available-plugged-in-but-not-charging/d36e7dcd-f476-45e9-b4ba-e763c5b1a0fb
  3. 0% available plugged in but not charging

in Windows 10 Gaming
    0% available plugged in but not charging: 0% available plugged in but not charging https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/0-available-plugged-in-but-not-charging/d36e7dcd-f476-45e9-b4ba-e763c5b1a0fb
  4. 0% available plugged in but not charging

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hi - laptop not charging when plugged in - Battery status 0% alvailabe plugged in - message...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hi - laptop not charging when plugged in - Battery status 0% alvailabe plugged in - message...: Hi - laptop not charging when plugged in - Battery status 0% available plugged in - message shown in bottom right hand corner on battery icon....
  6. Referring to: Windows 10-Battery status: 0% available, plugged in, not charging

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Referring to: Windows 10-Battery status: 0% available, plugged in, not charging: I haìve a not charging problem with my HP15 bv027, that started after the last updates unfortunately I could not say which oneTried all countermeasures found on internet, plus diagnostic of HP, without any benefit. The battery charges until the ac cable remain plugged in. If...
  7. HP Windows 10- Battery 0% available plugged in, not charging

HP Windows 10- Battery 0% available plugged in, not charging: I have been using the current HP laptop for 4 years. The processor is Corei5. However, the battery has stopped charging since 6 months and the laptop runs on AC. After seeking online assistance through various forums to check battery status I am left helpless. An attempt to...
  8. Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging)

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem - Battery Status: 0% available (plugged in, charging): My Toshiba Satellite L55-B5271 laptop updated to Windows 10 Version 1809 Build 17763.475 (Home, 64) a couple of weeks ago. Like every other update, I had mild annoyances occur. Like before, I fixed lost settings, file associations, and the like, while ignoring anything less...
  9. Windows 10-Battery status: 0% available, plugged in, not charging

Windows 10-Battery status: 0% available, plugged in, not charging: Hello, I have acer Aspire E15 E5 573G laptop with Win-10 Home edition. Recently I upgraded PC config to 480gb SSD (for OS only) and additional 4GB ram. After a week of usage, I stumbled upon the issue mentioned in the subject. I have tried following but in vain: Restart...
  10. Battery at 0%, plugged in not charging.

Battery at 0%, plugged in not charging.: Hi, Recently my battery has not been charging. Initially I would notice the battery status being "plugged in not charging". Removing the power cable and reinserting it would normally solve the problem. One night I plugged my laptop in to charge (while in sleep mode) and it...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. HP battery 0 available plugged in

2. how to solve the laptop battery that say say 0%available charging

3. 0% available (plugged in charging) for toshiba

4. 0 available plugged in charging dell,
  5. lenovo 0 available plugged in charging