Windows 10: Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows?

Discus and support Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, first of all, sorry for the bad "headline". I'll just get started: I got my SSD today, so I just plugged you in normally. Worked, cloned... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by GeorgeW22, Aug 6, 2020.

1. GeorgeW22 Win User

Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows?

Hello, first of all, sorry for the bad "headline".

I'll just get started:

I got my SSD today, so I just plugged you in normally. Worked, cloned you, and everything worked. When the computer rebooted, it still booted from the HDD and not from the SSD. Thereupon I asked a colleague, he said to the Bios etc. and I should change something there. I just did not come to the Bios to set the SSD. Then he told me, I should exchange the SATA cables from the SDD and HDD. I did that, thereupon came as I started my computer: winload.exe missing etc. Repair the device... Then nothing worked anymore, I took a USB stick, installed an ISO file on it and then booted with the USB stick. Then I installed Windows again, but this time on my SSD. Now my problems:

I no longer have access to my other Windows where I had important documents on my desktop, and now I have a brand new system where everything is brand new. I also have 2 Windows options to boot. When I select the other Windows boot option, I get exactly the same error message again with Repair device: windload.exe missing etc.

Is there any way I can still boot the second operating system so that I can at least take the documents? And the other operating system where my SSD is, should stay like that, I only need the stuff from my HDD on the desktop. Hope I could explain it to some extent.

Have a good night.

:)

GeorgeW22, Aug 6, 2020

2. OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Aug 6, 2020
  3. BulldogXX Win User
    HDD to SSD

I don't understand why you changed the boot order in your BIOS.

When you image or clone an HDD, and restore the image or clone to an SSD, you've got an identical copy of your computer on a different hard drive. Nothing has changed, really. So the next step is to remove the HDD from your computer and replace it with the
    SSD, then carry on as normal.

BulldogXX, Aug 6, 2020
  4. Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows?

Windows 10 can not optimize HDD, says it is a SSD Help

Hi Steve,

Thank you for posting your question in the Microsoft Community.

Appreciate your efforts to work on this issue.

• Does the BIOS recognizes the disk as HDD or SSD?

Suggest you to set the Optimize Drives Service to start automatically from the services window to check if that helps.

1. Open the run window, type ‘services.msc’ and press Enter.
    2. Search for Optimize Drives Service and select the start-up type as automatic. Also ensure to start the service.

If you have set SATA controller to AHCI mode for Solid State Drive, in Device Manager it would show as SATA hard disk.

Follow these steps:

1. Click start, type “Defragment” and click “Defragment and Optimize your drives”.
    2. On the “Defragment and Optimize your drives” window. Make sure that your SSD is categorized as an SSD.
    3. If it’s not, then you can set it as a SSD on your bios. This way, you don’t have to exclude your SSD or disable any scheduled defragmentation.
    Disclaimer: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring
    of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed.

Regards,

Srimadhwa B

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Srimadhwa_B, Aug 6, 2020
Thema:

Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows?

1. Problem because of SSD/HDD and Windows? - Similar Threads - Problem SSD HDD

2. Ssd to hdd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Ssd to hdd: I recently purchased a new ssd for my PC but realised the secondary slot doesn't support it gen 4. My current ssd is gen 3 and is supported by the secondary slot. However my OS and things are installed on it. If I installed the new one and moved the old to slot 2, would that...
  3. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  4. HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    HDD to SSD: how do I transfer my windows 10 OS to my new SSD, so 2 Drives. Old SSD with the old files and New SSD with the windows 10. But still being able to access the data on the old.The new SSD is a Samsung 870 EVO SATA 2.5" 1TB.spec:Dell Inc. 0PXWHKi7-8700non-kgtx 1060 16 gb ram...
  5. windows moved from hdd to ssd problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    windows moved from hdd to ssd problem: so i moved my c drive from hdd to ssd but my files are still in the hdd, theres windows 10 on the ssd but it dosent have my files, to access the files i need to go to the hdd is there any way to move the files into the ssd i hope you understand my situation...
  6. Replace HDD with SSD Problems?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Replace HDD with SSD Problems?: Hello, community, I bought an SSD today and wanted to replace my old HDD with this one. I have successfully cloned the content of the HDD onto the SSD and now I wanted to put it into operation. But if I select the SSD in the boot menu as boot device, the screen stays black...
  7. Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problem with having add an SSD and HDD: I have a relative new pc with Asus A68HM Series motherboard that came with 1TB Toshiba HDD and I decided to disconnect it and fit a brand new WD Blue 500GB SSD which I had spare. Connected the SSD and installed Windows 10 1909 and tasted the pc and all worked fine. I...
  8. Problem with having add an SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem with having add an SSD and HDD: I have a relative new pc with Asus A68HM Series motherboard that came with 1TB Toshiba HDD and I decided to disconnect it and fit a brand new WD Blue 500GB SSD which I had spare. Connected the SSD and installed Windows 10 1909 and tasted the pc and all worked fine. I...
  9. SSD and HDD

in Windows 10 Customization
    SSD and HDD: I just purchased a new PC with a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. Why can't I install some apps on the HDD? They state that they need to be installed on a system drive. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you...
  10. ssd and hdd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ssd and hdd: What should i buy? 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd or 500gb ssd. And if i will buy 128gb ssd and 500gb hdd and i will install win10 on the hdd, the ssd will help win10 to boot? 23715