Windows 10: Problem closing the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security...

Discus and support Problem closing the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have this really enoying problem not being able to close the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security settings to let... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by hjalpattvalja, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Problem closing the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security...

I have this really enoying problem not being able to close the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security settings to let myself get permission saving. That didn't work that well but now I can't close it because " You are about to change the permission on the root directory of the start up disk. This can reduce the security…" If i press no i can't close the window and when i press yes I get another warning Error applying security.

I quess It wants me to change back to the default settings before being able to close the window, but there isn't such setting.

Would really appreciate some help here

I run Windows 10 Pro

:)

hjalpattvalja, Dec 19, 2018
  2. Arun B J Win User

c drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern regarding the issue that you are facing.

• Is Windows 8 partition installed on the C drive?
    • Are any hardware or software changes made to the PC prior to this issue? Have you refreshed or Reset the PC?
    • Are you on a dual boot environment?
    • If you have another account on this PC, are you able to access the C drive?
    I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

Give permissions to the C drive and check.

a. Right click on C: drive and select Properties.

b. Go to the Security tab.

c. Click on Advanced and in
    Permissions tab, click on Add.

d. Click on Select a principal
    and type Everyone in the box and press Enter.

e. Click on Full control and then press on OK.

f. Then in the C: drive properties, click on
    Edit

g. Click on Add and then type
    Everyone and click on Full Control.

h. Press okay and close the C drive properties window.

Check if you are able to access C drive.

You may also refer to
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-security/c-is-not-accessible-access-is-denied/2514966c-c4f5-4619-a422-4ebeda5fcb36

Also, refer to this article: "Access Denied" error message when accessing or working with files and folders”
    in this link, this would help you to take ownership of the drive.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2623670

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 19, 2018
  3. Windows 10 c: drive not accessable

I was trying to solve a problem I had with accessing several folders, following the steps on a web site, and

I got a message that the owner of the C; drive was being erased!

Since then I have no access to the c: drive, I keep getting "access denied", "you don't have the proper permissions", "you don't have read permission", and when I finally got into Safe Mode and clicked on C:/properties/security, it said "Owner: Unable to
    display current owner".

I've tried more methods than I want to list trying to get ownership of the C: drive and set permissions back where they belong.

Where is the c: drive owner entered? Would I need to RegEdit? If so, please provide step by step because all I know about RegEdit is that it's dangerous to mess with.....

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Dave Ahlberg

DaveAhlberg, Dec 19, 2018
  4. Problem closing the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security...

"Must have read permissions to view the properties of this object" error message on trying to change permissions for C: drive on Windows 10.

Original Title: Lost administrator rights

Hi,

my computer has 2 accounts - one's mine (administrator) and the other is 'public' one. So one day I changed the privileges for drive C under 'properties-security' and ended up losing my administrative rights. By today the situation is that drive C 'is not
    accessible'. Access denied' . I can access only couple of sub-folder in drive C (due what-ever reasons).

Now when I try to chance folder options back under drive C properties-security ( i can't see any users listed there - only written that :'i must have read permissions to view the properties of this object') and click for advanced settings it says that 'unable
    to display current owner' for drive C. I can't chance anything there because 'i have no administrative permissions'.

When i check my user account settings i see that i'm administrator and belong in administrators group. But in the other hand i can't manage my user account or make any changes because of 'no permission'.

I have searched for similar problems from forums and what i have tried to activated this hidden Administrator (even with that drive C is not accessible and neither can I change it's advanced settings - 'access denied'), I've ran it on the safe mode and tried
    to change settings like that but so far with no results).

Messy situation but thanks for any help!

pssp&spps, Dec 19, 2018
Thema:

Problem closing the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security...

1. Problem closing the properties window of my c-drive after I tried to change the security... - Similar Threads - Problem closing properties

2. access denied after trying to change c drive owner

in Windows 10 Gaming
    access denied after trying to change c drive owner: if i am trying to save a file in C drive or like in desktop it shows me you need administration permission , so i changed C drive owner permissions and hit apply but i had a error where it say access denied to change permission the image i inserted were the pop up message i...
  3. access denied after trying to change c drive owner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    access denied after trying to change c drive owner: if i am trying to save a file in C drive or like in desktop it shows me you need administration permission , so i changed C drive owner permissions and hit apply but i had a error where it say access denied to change permission the image i inserted were the pop up message i...
  4. My Windows-Security keeps closing instantly after i start it

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My Windows-Security keeps closing instantly after i start it: So basically as soon as open the Windows Security it closes instantly again and it seems like it has been uninstalled from my pc as i cant even open it as as an admin in the search bar or anything else...
  5. windows security settings closing immediately after closing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows security settings closing immediately after closing: Whenever i open windows security, the window instantly closes. i've tried using sfc /scannow, reinstalling windows and checking for malware with Malwarebytes. However none of these solutions seemed to help me. i'm also missing the windows defender service and antimalware...
  6. windows security settings closing immediately after closing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    windows security settings closing immediately after closing: Whenever i open windows security, the window instantly closes. i've tried using sfc /scannow, reinstalling windows and checking for malware with Malwarebytes. However none of these solutions seemed to help me. i'm also missing the windows defender service and antimalware...
  7. windows security settings closing immediately after closing

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. A Windows Security error pops up when i try to change ownership of my C: drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    A Windows Security error pops up when i try to change ownership of my C: drive: So i wanted to change ownership of my c: drive with this - https://prnt.sc/xawiyv , so i pressed the Change button and an error pops up from Windows Security saying "Can't open access control editor. The specified module could not be found." - https://prnt.sc/xawrwr Soo ,...
  9. i have problem with my c drive!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    i have problem with my c drive!!: hi i have some issues with my local C drive for example my C drive have 50 gb free then i downloaded 20 gb game on other drive called E: for strange reason now my C drive became 30 gb free why?? i deleted the game from drive E: but still 30 gb free space why??? its...
  10. I tried to recover my C drive.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I tried to recover my C drive.: I tried to recover my C drive. Was working good, then virus software kicked in and it stopped. Now the recovery point is gone. Can I recover from the D drive?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. window closes after doing a properties on the drive