Windows 10: Problem connecting new computer with Windows 10 to Server Essentials 2012

Discus and support Problem connecting new computer with Windows 10 to Server Essentials 2012 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, Been trying to connect my new computer but no luck. Found some links online to handle this, but 404 "not found" message pops up. How can I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AnthonyCasciato, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Problem connecting new computer with Windows 10 to Server Essentials 2012

Hello,

Been trying to connect my new computer but no luck. Found some links online to handle this, but 404 "not found" message pops up. How can I connect to the server? Only options when I type in "http://{server name}/connect"are options for Windows 7 or 8. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

AnthonyCasciato, Dec 13, 2019
  2. FSU-Law Win User

Windows 10 Pro connect to Windows 2012 Server Essentials R2

Hello All,

I am trying to keep my composure while writing this post. The Free Windows 10 Pro upgrade has some strings attached. Take that back, it has an anchor attached to it.

I have a small office. We have WSE2012 It has been running without issues for a year. It is running a DNS server, but DHCP is handled by my DD-WRT router. We have 7 client computers running Windows 7 pro. I decided to upgrade my computer to Windows 10 Pro.
    Upgrade went as planed, and no hitches during upgrade. The problem came when I tried to use http://[servername]/connect in order to connect the computer to my server. Each time I tried, the browser would return an error saying it could not find the server.
    A couple of quick google searches suggested that I download the
    Windows Server Essentials Connector for Windows 2012 R2
    . I downloaded the connector. Once I ran it, I would get to the step where the detector searches for the server. I kept getting an error stating "No Server Detected in the Network." I tried typing
    in the name of the server manually in the field below it, but I would get an error there too. The error says "Can not get information from server. Please contact Server Administrator" I can connect to the server using
    L: \\192.xxx.0.xxx, but not via \\[Servername].

I decided to call Microsoft support. They suggested that I post the question here, or pay $500USD to talk to their support techs!!!!!!!! Are they kidding? Really? This is the cost of the free upgrade? That's extortion. So, I will post it my question here,
    and hope that someone has had a similar situation.

I can ping, traceroute the server. As I said before, I can connect using the ip address. Some web sites suggest that connecting via Windows 10 is more secure, but considering I can connect via the ip, I doubt that is the issue. I have dropped the firewalls,
    flushed the DNS, and still nothing.

So, I upgraded a second computer to Windows 10. This on is the home version. It too could not connect to the server using the http://[computername]/connect. So I downloaded the connector on that computer. I got the same error messages as above. So the problem
    isn't my client computers, it seems to be a problem on the server side.

Are there steps that need to be done on the server prior to connecting Windows 10 computers? Is there a best practices white paper or a server readiness tool? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

FSU-Law, Dec 13, 2019
  3. Robag Win User
    Windows 10 PRO and Windows Server Essentials 2012 Client Connector

In my case I upgraded with the Windows Essentials 2012 Connector installed. Since it was previously installed, all the entries were there and the ones I have all start with
    Windows Server ..., so if you haven't installed the connector yet, then you need to do that and then hopefully it all works. (There about 8 entries that start with
    Windows Server listed under the services on my computers.) I am also NOT using Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2, so there may be something different going on.

Robag, Dec 13, 2019
  4. Problem connecting new computer with Windows 10 to Server Essentials 2012

Server 2012 essentials and windows 10

I have installed server essentials 2012 r2 on a new server. Then I set up the user account on the server. After installing all the updates available I installed the connector to the client computer which has an up to date version of windows 10 pro. Now after
    the restart the computer has the error "the user profile service failed the sign-in. User profile cannot be loaded." All the help I can find tells me to change to another user profile that works. Except it's trying to auto start the client setup profile so
    I can't select the admin login to fix it.

Does anyone out there know why this is happening and how to fix it?

Shannon Mead, Dec 13, 2019
Thema:

Problem connecting new computer with Windows 10 to Server Essentials 2012

1. Problem connecting new computer with Windows 10 to Server Essentials 2012 - Similar Threads - Problem connecting computer

2. In Place Upgrade of Server 2012 Essentials to 2016 Essentials - Keeps Files & Apps Option...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    In Place Upgrade of Server 2012 Essentials to 2016 Essentials - Keeps Files & Apps Option...: I'm trying to do an in place upgrade of a server running Server 2012 R2 Essentials to Server 2016 Essentials as a temporary patch until a new server is installed in January. However, when I get to the selection as to keep everything or not The option to keep existing files...
  3. Move Server 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Spaces to Windows 10 Pro

Move Server 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Spaces to Windows 10 Pro: My 10-year old home-built Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Essentials server just died. It is not worth the expense to repair or replace it. Instead, I want to go to a Synology DS220+ NAS to handle my backups and shared folders. The first thing I need to do is to recover the Storage...
  4. Move Server 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Spaces to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move Server 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Spaces to Windows 10 Pro: My 10-year old home-built Microsoft Server 2012 R2 Essentials server just died. It is not worth the expense to repair or replace it. Instead, I want to go to a Synology DS220+ NAS to handle my backups and shared folders. The first thing I need to do is to recover the Storage...
  5. Move Server 2012 R2 Essentials Storage Spaces to Windows 10 Pro

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. Replacement media or downloadable ISO for Server 2012 Essentials

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Replacement media or downloadable ISO for Server 2012 Essentials: I wanted to get the install media for Server 2012 Essentials in case my customer can't come up with it in an emergency. It came pre-installed on a Dell PowerEdge server. On this download page, I see Server 2012 R2 Essentials, but NOT the non-R2...
  7. Replacement media or downloadable ISO for Server 2012 Essentials

Replacement media or downloadable ISO for Server 2012 Essentials: I wanted to get the install media for Server 2012 Essentials in case my customer can't come up with it in an emergency. It came pre-installed on a Dell PowerEdge server. On this download page, I see Server 2012 R2 Essentials, but NOT the non-R2...
  8. New Windows 10 PC will not connect to server 2012 r with server name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Windows 10 PC will not connect to server 2012 r with server name: I have a new windows 10 pc and I am trying to connect to the server with it. I can get to the server by IP address but not with the server name, in this case it is \\Server-01. It is telling me that the dns server is not responding or incorrect. I have several other PCs...
  9. Installation of Windows Essentials 2012

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation of Windows Essentials 2012: Why can I not fully install wndows essentials 2012 in my windows 10 laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/installation-of-windows-essentials-2012/ed8e6dd6-57bf-4d6d-9628-531e4b443af0
  10. Windows Essentials 2012

Windows Essentials 2012: Is it safe to install Windows Essentials 2012 on a Windows 10 Surface Pro 3? Photo Gallery is what I am really after because it has a photo resize function where W10 Photo app does not. 40243