Windows 10: Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

Discus and support Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello all, I've seen many forums with the same issues, but to no avail I still am experiencing the same problems. I was given my desktop about a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by EmeraldX, Jun 13, 2016.

1. EmeraldX Win User

Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

Hello all,

I've seen many forums with the same issues, but to no avail I still am experiencing the same problems.

I was given my desktop about a week ago by my uncle, and I wiped it cleaned and installed Windows 10 Pro. I go to connect the Ethernet cable and it says "Network cable unplugged".

I've tried updating the drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers, and even changing the duplex to 100 Mbps Full and Half.

The network adapter is a Marvell Yukon 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller.

Thanks.

:)

EmeraldX, Jun 13, 2016

2. Wi-Fi problems with internal network

My installation consists of the following:

Desktop computer connected to internet router via an Ethernet cable.

Laptop connected to internet router via Wi-Fi using one of two methods:

Using the Wi-Fi broadcast from the internet router itself

Using the Wi-Fi broadcast from a dLan AV wireless which is connected to the original internet router via an Ethernet cable.

The dLan installation is a powerline unit with the sender plugged into the room where the internet router is based and the receiver/Ethernet/Wi-Fi unit plugged into a socket in the room where the laptop is used.

My backup drive is a Seagate GoFlex Home unit which is connected to the internet router via an Ethernet cable.

When my old laptop was working on Windows 7 I was able to run back up via either of my two Wi-Fi options. My new Windows 10 (home) laptop can be connected to the back up drive if I connect an Ethernet cable between the laptop and the dLan AV receiver in
    the room however if I try to connect via either of the two Wi-Fi options I cannot find the backup drive nor can I create a network in order to add it.

I hope that this clarifies the problem.

Regards,

SouthEssex, Jun 13, 2016
  3. JonLe916 Win User
    Windows 10 can't connect to internet

Hello, I'm having some trouble connecting to the internet via Ethernet although I can connect to wifi via wireless adapter. When I diagnose the connection it says, "Ethernet does not have a valid IP configuration."

JonLe916, Jun 13, 2016
  4. Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

I haven't seen any W10 drivers for that adapter ( by googling ) and it originally came out in 2006 ( according to Marvell's support site ) so it's possible that it won't work with W10 or it could be that it just died. The newest driver I saw from Marvell was W8, did you find a W10 driver for it?

CADesertRat, Jun 14, 2016
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

If you have a decent fast Wifi system available - my advice would be to get a USB wifi adapter --they are really cheap now and you'll have the latest driver too so you know it will work.

If you go for a dual band one (ac protocol with 5 Ghz band) you can get a theoretical maximum speed of 433 Mib/s - more than fast enough for even direct streaming of 4K UHD movies !!!.

I know it doesn't solve your immediate problem but these days decent wifi is perfectly fast enough and avoids messy cables !!!!.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 14, 2016
  6. EmeraldX Win User
    I couldn't find any W10 drivers. I tried using W8 drivers but it didn't work. I guess i'll have to fork some cash out for a usb wifi adapter.

Any adapters you guys suggest?

EmeraldX, Jun 14, 2016
  7. RWOne Win User
    What occurred when you tried the W8 Drivers? Screenshot requested of device manager with network adapters expanded please.

RWOne, Jun 14, 2016
  8. EmeraldX Win User

It installed, no problems, but still won't budge.

Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet [​IMG]

EmeraldX, Jun 14, 2016
  9. RWOne Win User
    Thanks, and if opened, it says it is functioning correctly, yes?

Things to try:

1. Check other end of ethernet cable, that it is plugged in and to the correct device. If plugged in, move to different port on router or switch.

2. Try a different ethernet cable, preference would be for one that is already working with another device on the network.

Lastly, this is a desktop, is the ethernet port you are going into on the motherboard, or a add on network card? (Ensure it's in the correct lan port)

After that, remotely, I'm not sure what else I could offer, the port itself may be out but I'm only at 90% for that determination.

RWOne, Jun 14, 2016
  10. TrustMe Win User
    You could try a free program like DriverMax or Snappy Driver Installer. I used DriverMax and had good luck with it. It found a Windows 7 driver for an old XP sound card. I tried two other driver programs that failed. I've read good things about Snappy Driver Installer but never tried it. You can read about it here. It is from the creator of the program.

Snappy Driver Installer

If you do decide to try DriverMax be carefull when installing. It can be bundled with adware. Read each screen very carefully and decline any toolbars or other adware they offer. It's a legitimate program, but sometimes bundle with adware. I've also installed a clean version with no adware. I guess it depends where it's download from.

TrustMe, Jun 14, 2016
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

AVOID places like drivermax -- they are "Sneakerware". What they do is sucker you in and say we've foud a driver for you --but then you have to PAY to access that part of the site.

The best way of looking for a driver is to go to the EVENT LOG

In the windows devices -->properties etc

Then the text gives you the hardware id and you can then search yourself. That's what those "Sneakerware sites" do anyway and charge you for stuff that's freely available.

I'd still however be tempted to buy a wifi adapter --they work and will cost you probably no more than 15 USB for an acceptable one.

Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet [​IMG]

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jun 15, 2016
  12. TrustMe Win User
    Hi jimbo,

i agree, most driver programs are sneakerware but DriverMax is free, if you are patience. You are allowed to download one free driver each day. It is also free to backup and restore your drivers. I have used it in the past when I have done a clean install.

I know about hardware ID's but sometimes it seems impossible to find a driver that works. Like the old sound card I mentioned above. I upgraded from Windows XP to Windows 7 and none of the drivers I found worked. I also tried "compatibility mode" but that didn't work either. I installed DriverMax and it happen to find the correct one.

Cheers

TrustMe, Jun 15, 2016
  13. Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet

Ethernet is an older technology - it usually just works out of the box.
    Where are you getting the drivers to re-install ... on a disc?

Windows Update is very good, almost 100%, at supplying drivers that work with Windows.

Try this:
    Uninstall the driver in Device Manager
    !!!!! Remove software if prompted (might be a checkbox on the dialog box)
    Restart
    Run Windows Update manually

Slartybart, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem Connecting To Internet Via Ethernet - Similar Threads - Problem Connecting Internet

2. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet: I have three windows PCs that I just bought, all the same model. When I plug two of the PCs into ethernet, they connect to 'network 2' and get internet but when I connect the third PC to the same ethernet port, it tries to connect to network 3 and doesn't get internet....
  3. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet: I have three windows PCs that I just bought, all the same model. When I plug two of the PCs into ethernet, they connect to 'network 2' and get internet but when I connect the third PC to the same ethernet port, it tries to connect to network 3 and doesn't get internet....
  4. Computer not connecting to internet via ethernet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. No internet via ethernet

No internet via ethernet: Hello I'm having some trouble with my connection over ethernet. Wireless works fine and the same ethernet cable works on my laptop. The problem is my ethernet on my PC. Firstly I used the windows troubleshooter and got the error "No valid IP". I checked my ip using ipconfig...
  6. Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet

Experiencing problems with connecting via Ethernet: My computer has experienced a problem where when I plug in the Ethernet cable and connect to the network, it fails to connect to the internet says it is an "Undefined Network" and can't connect to the Internet. When I run a diagnosis it finds that Ethernet doesn't have a...
  7. Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless

Can connect to internet via ethernet but not wireless: My wireless symbol has changed and I can only connect to the internet when I put the ethernet cable into my laptop. What is wrong>...
  8. No internet connection via wifi or ethernet

No internet connection via wifi or ethernet: Please help. My laptop is for some unknown reason not connecting to the internet via wifi or ethernet. It will also not diagnose the problem as it says The Diagnostics Policy Service is not running and it cannot fix it. Please can someone advise - I'm not super techy. but I...
  9. Internet connection via ethernet problems

Internet connection via ethernet problems: I hope I'm putting this in the right place. We have two desktop pcs both running W10. Husbands PC was off for a while then wouldn't connect to the internet. Now mine has had to be switched off for a couple of months and we're having the same problem with this one too. Neither...
  10. Unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet Cable

Unable to connect to the Internet via Ethernet Cable: Thank you very much all, especially Samuria. I only needed to make use of "netsh winsock reset catalog" and it worked!