Windows 10: Problem connedting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98

Discus and support Problem connedting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; During many years of use, I have been able to connect my Windows 10 pro computer to Windows 98 computer using Windows Explorer. In the last few weeks,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by stanhilliard, Nov 30, 2020.

1. Problem connedting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98

During many years of use, I have been able to connect my Windows 10 pro computer to Windows 98 computer using Windows Explorer. In the last few weeks, I can't connect anymore. I used to be able to connect through a Netgear 7000 router by wireless and also by Ethernet, neither method can access files on the Windows 98 now.

File explorer shows, from all three computers, the network as consisting of the same 4 items:

DELL T17000 (desktop)
    GRANDMABARB (laptop)
    READYSHARE (usb drive connected to the a Netgear 7000 router)
    TOWER (windows 98)

When I try to access the 98 now the error is:

Network Error
    Windows cannot access \\TOWER
    Diagnostic: "The remote device won't accept connection"

On the other hand I can connect to the win98 from a laptop running Windows 10 Home by wireless. Its File Explorer can access files on the Windows 98 with no problems.

All 3 PCs can access files on the drive that is connected to the router.

From the Windows 98, File Explorer requests a password when I try to connect to the other two computers. My login password of those computers does not work. For example, it asks for a password for DELL-T1700\IPC$.

The Windows 98 does not request a password when I turn it on. I tried to set a password intending to make it the same as the other two computers but it says I already have a password an won't accept it.

:)

stanhilliard, Nov 30, 2020

2. Windows 98 problem

why not try to use virtual PC and emulate windows 98 on a XP machine or did someone already suggest that?

brandonwh64, Nov 30, 2020
  3. DirectorC Win User
    Windows 98 problem

You are correct, Windows 98 IS a problem. Upgrade FFS.

DirectorC, Nov 30, 2020
  4. Clement Win User

Problem connedting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98

Clement, Nov 30, 2020
Thema:

Problem connedting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98

1. Problem connedting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98 - Similar Threads - Problem connedting pro

2. Windows 98

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 98: Hello. I have an old laptop which when bought had Windows 7 but now has Windows 10. I want it to only use to play a Windows 98 game age of empires. I have the original Windows 98 operating system disc. I imagine that Windows 10 will be taking up memory? What would be the best...
  3. Windows 98

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 98: Hello. I have an old laptop which when bought had Windows 7 but now has Windows 10. I want it to only use to play a Windows 98 game age of empires. I have the original Windows 98 operating system disc. I imagine that Windows 10 will be taking up memory? What would be the best...
  4. Windows 98

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Windows 98

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 98: I have an old computer game that I want to play from my child hood and it only operates effectively with windows 98. I was wondering how I could get a copy of windows 98 Operation software so I could execute this....
  6. Windows 98

Windows 98: I have an old computer game that I want to play from my child hood and it only operates effectively with windows 98. I was wondering how I could get a copy of windows 98 Operation software so I could execute this....
  7. How to fix a Windows 98 spooler problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix a Windows 98 spooler problem?: Have an old Compaq desktop with Windows 98 operating system. Need to print proprietary software documents and have a Brother HL-5040 I connected when I found a driver cd online. Getting a User Intervention Required message when I try and access the printer, meaning spooler...
  8. How to fix a Windows 98 spooler problem?

How to fix a Windows 98 spooler problem?: Have an old Compaq desktop with Windows 98 operating system. Need to print proprietary software documents and have a Brother HL-5040 I connected when I found a driver cd online. Getting a User Intervention Required message when I try and access the printer, meaning spooler...
  9. Problem connecting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem connecting Windows 10 pro to Windows 98: During many years of use, I have been able to connect my Windows 10 pro computer to Windows 98 computer using Windows Explorer. In the last few weeks, I can't connect anymore. I used to be able to connect through a Netgear 7000 router by wireless and also by Ethernet, neither...
  10. Windows 98

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows 98: Hi. I have a desktop running windows 98 as a hobby and i am wondering if There is an anti-virus program made by microsoft for windows 98, and if not, would windows security essentials or windows defender work?...