Windows 10: Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?

Discus and support Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to copy a ripped movie file (iso) from my G drive to desktop. The file is 45GB. It gets to 99% then a message comes up saying the process... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CountryBumkin, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?

I'm trying to copy a ripped movie file (iso) from my G drive to desktop. The file is 45GB. It gets to 99% then a message comes up saying the process can't complete because the System has the file open. I have nothing running and can't find anything where the System is accessing/linking to this file.

I thought it might be a permissions issue, so I wanted to download the Reg edit to add a "take ownership" command but the TenFourms link is not working. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html <<<< won't open web page.

I ran sfc /scannow and there are some errors reported that could not be fixed. There is a CBS.log file but I have not looked at it yet.

I also ran the DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth (I forget the full command line now) and it came back saying it could not find the files "online".

:)

CountryBumkin, Aug 4, 2015

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 4, 2015
  3. File or folder goes to left corner of the desktop.

I have latest version of Windows 10 and I am facing a problem while copying file or folder on the desktop it goes to left corner of the desktop .This is the main problem I am facing. I want that when I am copying a file or folder it should not go the left
    corner of the desktop .

if anyone has solution for this plz reply .

SHIBUJAISWAL, Aug 4, 2015
  4. Burien Win User

Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?

This is how I solved the issue with file permissions:

Choose the folder you want as your top down folder I.E "my documents" Right click - Properties.

Select the security tab

from the group or user names list, choose a user. click edit.

here you should be able to change the permissions. Tick all the boxes.

Click OK - APPLY.

I didn't use the take owner ship download, there was no need.

Burien, Aug 4, 2015
  5. I'm not sure that this is a permissions issue - it doesn't have the "you don't have permission" message that I'm use to seeing. This is a "System has file open" message. What does that mean?
    However, looking at file permissions is something I should try/check.
    Thanks for your reply.

CountryBumkin, Aug 4, 2015
  6. CountMike New Member
    Most likely that ISO is mounted. It would show up as an CD/DVD player in file manager.

CountMike, Aug 4, 2015
  7. It was an ISO that I mounted, but then "ejected". Perhaps windows just wouldn't let go of it.
    Thanks Mike.

CountryBumkin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open?

1. Problem copying file to desktop - System has file Open? - Similar Threads - Problem copying file

2. Files copying problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Files copying problem: i am copying data from my PC to SSD, copying showing files are copying but after compleation of process; files not showed in SSD. same problem with copying data from SSD and USB flash drive....
  3. Files copying problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Files copying problem: i am copying data from my PC to SSD, copying showing files are copying but after compleation of process; files not showed in SSD. same problem with copying data from SSD and USB flash drive....
  4. Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open: I am running Win 11 Pro in the most up to date personal use mode no insider code.This is a recent problem coincident with the most recent patch Tuesday updates 3/31/2023 KB5023778 and a OneDrive update. It was not present last week.All the "Explorer is slow" issue resolutions...
  5. Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open

Problems with opening files on desktop - slow start of file open: I am running Win 11 Pro in the most up to date personal use mode no insider code.This is a recent problem coincident with the most recent patch Tuesday updates 3/31/2023 KB5023778 and a OneDrive update. It was not present last week.All the "Explorer is slow" issue resolutions...
  6. Opening and copying files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening and copying files: Im trying to open a file from my USB and states "The destination file could not be created" and when trying to copy it I get the error code 0x80004005: Unspecified error with the following message: "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to...
  7. Opening and copying files

Opening and copying files: Im trying to open a file from my USB and states "The destination file could not be created" and when trying to copy it I get the error code 0x80004005: Unspecified error with the following message: "An unexpected error is keeping you from copying the file. If you continue to...
  8. Problem copy / open files from network

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem copy / open files from network: Good morning to you, a colleague informs me that when opening some excel files saved on the network drive, he detects problems. Deepening, I notice this behavior: I copy the file from the network drive to the desktop, the copying procedure is "completed", the file...
  9. problem with copying files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    problem with copying files: when i copy files with the same name in windows 10 to my phone why dont i see an option to 'compare both files'? instead it is just 2 options - 'copy and replace' or 'skip'...
  10. copied file has no file type

in Windows 10 Support
    copied file has no file type: Hello can someone tell me how to add the file type to a file? I copied 2 video files from my samsung galaxy onto my dell PC but when I open properties beside file type it just says file instead of mp4 which I know they are because I made the videos. Im assuming the solution...