Windows 10: Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

Discus and support Problem creating GPT VHD automatically in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have a script which produces a diskpart script to create a virtual hard drive. Code: create vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx"... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by cereberus, Jun 14, 2020.

1. cereberus Win User

Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

I have a script which produces a diskpart script to create a virtual hard drive.

Code:
    This works perfectly but when I try and produce a script for a GPT VHD (I want more than 4 primary partitions, I alsi have t select a volume.

Code:
    Problem is a GPT drive also requires the volume number. I have to manually enter the Volume number # into my script that creates diskpart.

Only way I can think of doing it is to run diskpart list volume command outputting list of existing drive volumes to a text file, parse text file to get last volume number, then add 1 (or 2 maybe), then running diskpart script in a separate batch file, passing volume number as an argument.

Can anybody think of a simpler way?

:)

cereberus, Jun 14, 2020

2. How to mount a vhd automatically on startup

I seem to have found a solution to the problem of moving OneDrive folders to a SD Card in Windows 10.

The solution in a nutshell is to create a vhd on the SD card, unlink Onedrive from the Microsoft account.

On re-starting OneDrive you can change the location of the OneDrive folder to the vhd on the SD card! Yay!

My question is, how do I get the vhd to mount automatically when the tablet is started up, and can that be programed to happen before the OneDrive sync service starts running?

Gordon B-P, Jun 14, 2020
  3. Cannot convert GPT to MBR.

Hi Michael,

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

This method you have to backup all your data and delete all partitions and volumes. Then use the
    DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of disk you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disk number of disk
    • Finally type in convert gpt.
    Hope the information helps. Do reply if you need further assistance.

Anup Karkal, Jun 14, 2020
  4. Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

How to mount a vhd automatically on startup

Windows 10 - How to Run Program Automatically at Startup

It took me a good while to find an answer for this one, and so far this is the simplest I've found, but not without its faults.

Follow the instructions to create the shortcut to the *.vhd file. When creating the shortcut, I also selected the
    Run>Minimized option so it would not open the window on my display, but it still opens as a window anyway.

The only problem -- and its really just an annoyance, is that OneDrive still starts before the VHD is running, resulting in the error window, but the OneDrive error screen will go away on its own after OneDrive realizes the drive is available. If only
    there was a way to delay the OneDrive connection for 20-30 seconds or so...

This is on an Asus T100 Chi detachable...

DaveThomasvx, Jun 14, 2020
Thema:

Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

1. Problem creating GPT VHD automatically - Similar Threads - Problem creating GPT

2. Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows installation wouldn't create GPT partition.: Trying to install new hard drive on my laptop. I have a blank brand new 1 TB hard drive and partitioned as GPT Style partition. Downloaded the mediacreation tool for windows 10 and 11 and installed the boot disk on the blank HDD. When I try to install windows on my laptop, I...
  3. Vhd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Vhd: How do I convert back from a vhd after I made it I realized I do not need it and it's taking up a lot of my storage space how do I flip it back into physical storage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/21a5eb1e-18bf-4f96-88c4-0d7a95ab3a73
  4. Problem with disk management and vhd

Problem with disk management and vhd: I have a system image backup file vhdx, when i create a virtual drive it shows as disk 2 basic. Unallocated with a black bar and doesn't show in volumes. I made the backup in Windows 8.1 and trying to get individual files onto my new Windows 10. I've tried many times with the...
  5. Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD

Creating Virtual Hard Disks - VHD: I have a TB to choose from and I Made it 1,000,000,000,000,000TB to see if it was a 1,000YB which I went online to see how much it was and it said 1000 that is 1,000 YB but on my computer, after it was formatting it said 1024.98 GB and then I thought to my self boy that...
  6. MBR to GPT problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    MBR to GPT problem: While picking a partition for dual boot windows says it cannot be installed on mbr drive. Now i used diskpart to split the partition then nothing happened, it says it cannot process because the memory was low. How can i fix it....
  7. Problem creating GPT VHD automatically

in Windows 10 Support
    Problem creating GPT VHD automatically: I have a script which produces a diskpart script to create a virtual hard drive. Code: create vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx" maximum=60000 type=expandable select vdisk file="F:\hyper-V\virtual hard disks\2004dn.vhdx" attach vdisk create partition...
  8. VHD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    VHD: just a small question. can i delete a vhd after i hv mounted it permanently? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/vhd/deab598a-d7fe-4c5c-ace2-91003242d580
  9. Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 10 1903, DiskPart command 'convert gpt' automatically creates an MSR partition at the...: Tired of running out of space in the recovery partition and get windows image shadow copy error 0x80780119, I was just trying out the script to prepare the GPT partitions for windows 10 installation, but rather than using WinPE I just used the DiskPart command on a running...
  10. Problem switching to GPT

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem switching to GPT: The background :- 1. I installed Win10 pro over Win7x64 ultimate on Computer A which went smoothly. 2. I noted the install was on a single partition on the SSD. The SSD over provisioning area had vanished. There was no separate boot partition presumably because there had...