Windows 10: Problem EFI partition

Discus and support Problem EFI partition in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; So I just bought a new PC that came without an SSD. I placed one in it and installed the OS on it. I have two other drives on the system as well. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Inexplix, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Inexplix Win User

Problem EFI partition

So I just bought a new PC that came without an SSD. I placed one in it and installed the OS on it. I have two other drives on the system as well. The 2TB HDD that came with the PC and a 1TB external HDD connected through USB. I'm trying to clear the 2TB completely to use for backing up the C: drive and the external disk but there's an EFI partition that I cannot get rid of. Even using diskpart "delete partition override" or "clean" both fail. It's just bugging me because it is sitting right between two unallocated sections,causing a split in the available space on the drive. An image of this in disk management is attached.

:)

Inexplix, Feb 19, 2017

2. Windows 10 1709 64bit, windows image restore to a new drive fails, error 0x80042302

Right?

Microsoft recommends that when partitioning a disk, the EFI system partition be the first partition on the disk. This is not a requirement of the EFI specification itself. On Windows XP 64-Bit Edition and later, access to the EFI system partition is obtained
    by running the command

The EFI partition is formatted with the FAT file system.

Try this with command prompt to create the first partition on the drive, then try to install image without formatting NTFS partition for 10 OS.

Go here on how to create, mount/format the EFI partition

EFI System Partition - ArchWiki

seahawks65, Feb 19, 2017
  3. EFI partition delete issues and restoration

If I delete the EFI partition accidentally in Windows 10, how do I setup or manage or restore the EFI partition?

Kaushik Guha, Feb 19, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Problem EFI partition

When you installed Windows 10 to the SSD, you still had the HDD connected as drive 0 and the UEFI firmware set to boot from it. Therefore, Windows used the EFI System partition on Drive 0 as the "system" partition that the computer boots from. What you should have done is connected the SSD to SATA port 1, left all other drives disconnected, install Windows 10, then connect the HDDs to SATA ports 2 and 3 and any DVD drives to port 4+.

Notice this in step 2 of our tutorial for installing Windows 10:
    Windows 10 - Clean Install

2. Temporarily disconnect all non OS hard drives until Windows installation has finished. This is to avoid Windows Setup from installing files on other hard drives by mistake.

NavyLCDR, Feb 19, 2017
  5. Inexplix Win User
    So I assume that I need to reinstall with the hdd disconnected? Wouldn't be a big deal if so since it's only been a few hours with the only thing I have done is update Windows.

Inexplix, Feb 19, 2017
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes, and physically connect the SSD to the lowest numbered SATA port.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem EFI partition

1. Problem EFI partition - Similar Threads - Problem EFI partition

2. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  3. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Gaming
    EFI Partition: Attached below is a screenshot of my disk managerI would like to make my C drive adjacent to the unallocated space so that I can expand the C drive into the 97 free gb. Is there a way I can move the EFI partition so that the C drive is adjacent to the unallocated space.Also...
  4. EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Multiple EFI Partitions

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Multiple EFI Partitions: Checked computer management and found 2 EFI partitions and also checked with a partition manager which displays 3 EFI partitions.Why so many?How do I know which one is being used?James...
  6. Two EFI partitions

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Two EFI partitions: I have SSD and HDDwindows is installed in SSDthere are Two EFI partitions totallyCan I delete the EFI partition in HDD Pls tell me what will happen if its deleted ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/two-efi-partitions/38ad9567-f3aa-49b0-909a-89d2aea81efe
  7. Location of EFI partition

in Windows 10 Customization
    Location of EFI partition: This may be posted in the wrong area and can be moved if necessary.The question is: Does it matter where the EFI partition is located on your System Drive?When you look at new UEFI install of Windows on a GPT disk, the EFI partition is usually shown as the first on the...
  8. Access to EFI Partition

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Access to EFI Partition: After the latest windows update, when I open file explorer, three extra drives were added besides the c drive. Winretool partition was assigned y drive, PBR partition was assigned x drive and ESP (efi system partition) was assigned e drive. I was able to remove the y and x...
  9. EFI partition deleted

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    EFI partition deleted: While installing a different OS. My EFI partition was wiped and set as unallocated space. I booted up a linux live cd and partitioned the unallocated space, formatting it back to FAT32. I was able to restore grub and boot into my linux distro. Now I want to restore windows'...
  10. EFI partition missing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    EFI partition missing: I bought a new SSD and did a clean installation of Windows 10 on the new drive, but i'm still keeping my old HDD into my laptop as a secondary drive. After the installation worked (the laptop was working correctly) I decided to format my old HDD. After a reboot i got this...