Windows 10: Problem ejecting external HDD

Discus and support Problem ejecting external HDD in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by CameronOlson, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Problem ejecting external HDD

Hello MS Community,

I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though Performance in Task Manager says otherwise. The light is still intermittently going on/off after I hit Eject. I've accidently unplugged it a few times while it was doing this and no corruption or damage occurred. The only way I've been able to do it safely is go to Disk Management and change it to Offline. But thats not practical. Does anyone know why this is doing this? Problem ejecting external HDD df65d9d7-3619-4053-8f97-b04b8687ada3?upload=true.png

:)

CameronOlson, Aug 27, 2020

2. Can't Eject External HDD After Upgrade

my windows 10 Home version is 1803, Build 17134.285 after upgrade. however, now i can't eject safely external HDD. i thought it was one of my HDD but then i tried all my HDDs, and they won't eject safely with a message "drive is currently in use ..... ".

no problem with my usb sticks.

thanks.

SoniManUtd, Aug 27, 2020
  3. external HDD

Hi,

Usually, this problem occur due to software incompatibility or corrupted USB drivers. For us to better assist you, we would like to clarify the following:

• Have you made any recent changes on your computer prior to the issue?
    • Which driver did you uninstall? Have you reinstall the driver? If yes, how did you reinstall the driver?
    • Have you check if the external HDD is visible in Device Manager?

If the issue still persists after uninstalling some games, we suggest that you run the troubleshooter for hardware and devices. If you're using the latest Windows 10 version, follow these steps on how to run the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter:

• Click the Start button and select the Settings
      icon.
    • Choose Update & Security from the list.
    • Click Troubleshoot in the left pane of the window.
    • Under Find and fix other problems, select Hardware and Devices and click
      Run the troubleshooter.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Gerard Qui, Aug 27, 2020
  4. enjonkou Win User

Problem ejecting external HDD

Can't eject my external HDD safely

i know i can just plug it out, but i do not want to take that risk because it has really important files inside it. it says the hdd is being used, and in the event log i see theese two errors:

1- The application System with process id 4 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25E1\5758383141433648484E3144.

2- The application \Device\HarddiskVolume2\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe with process id 2488 stopped the removal or ejection for the device USB\VID_1058&PID_25E1\5758383141433648484E3144.

what can i do about this?

Moved From:

enjonkou, Aug 27, 2020
Thema:

Problem ejecting external HDD

1. Problem ejecting external HDD - Similar Threads - Problem ejecting external

2. external hdd problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external hdd problem: hi my external hard drive is corrupted what do i do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hdd-problem/097d2cba-a617-47af-8600-fe5eeade7e81
  3. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  4. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't safely eject an external HDD: I used an external HDD to download a game Forza Horizon 5 and now I can't safely eject it I get the "Device in use prompt". Before whenever I turned off the laptop or ejected the HDD the power light turned off but now even when I shut down the laptop the power light stays on....
  5. Can't safely eject an external HDD

in Windows 10 Gaming
  6. No eject for Seagate external HDD

No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  7. No eject for Seagate external HDD

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    No eject for Seagate external HDD: There is no eject in the right click menu of my Seagate Expansion. As it's a USB HDD should it not have eject in the right click menu? I have no way to eject this drive. Safely remove hardware from the Task bar always gives me "this device is currently in use". The Seagate...
  8. Problem Ejecting External Drive

Problem Ejecting External Drive: I've been using a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive via USB for quite a while. Recently when I go to eject the drive, I get the following pop up. Before I get scathed, I realize that I don't need to eject it via taskbar icon, but I've been doing it that way for quite a long time....
  9. Problem with External Driver ejection

Problem with External Driver ejection: So i have had problems of ejecting my drive for weeks now and had multiple folder corrupted because of it and i have now found 1 of the reason i can't eject it and what is stopping me is apparently the system and MsMpEng.exe which is very annoying and i am annoyed having my...
  10. Unable to "safely eject" external HDD

Unable to "safely eject" external HDD: I've been experiencing this for a while now. Whenever i try to safely remove my Seagate External hard drive, an error pops up which says its being used by some programs when i am not actually using it. I tried to find out what was causing the problem and i found two warnings...