Windows 10: Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive

Discus and support Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Whenever i try to eject my Sandisk flash drive, by right-clicking on it's icon and clicking on "Eject Cruzer", I get an error window with the title,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by retroboy87, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive

Whenever i try to eject my Sandisk flash drive, by right-clicking on it's icon and clicking on "Eject Cruzer",
    I get an error window with the title, "Problem Ejecting USB Mass Storage Device".
    The message says, "Windows is unable to stop the device 'USB Mass Storage Device'.
    Don't remove this device while it is still in use. Close any programs using this device and then remove it."

This only happens the first time I attempt to eject my flash drive since connecting it.
    The second time I try to eject it, it always works.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
    I know it's not a problem with my flash drive, because it works just fine on other computers.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver for the flash drive in the Device Manager, but that didn't work.

:)

retroboy87, Feb 26, 2016
  2. 'Mike P Win User

Flash drive doesn't appear on PC

Sounds like you have a bad
    Sandisk
    drive. Sorry, check out their support pages - hope you get lucky and its something simple.

Restart the computer with the drive plugged in. That's fixed usb thumb drive here when unplugged without ejecting that wouldn't work.

'Mike P, Feb 26, 2016
  3. Eject flash drive in windows 10 giving "Still in use message" first time, second try is ok

Hi All, I am running windows 10 and am have a problem ejecting flash drives on the first attempt. I see the message that the drive is still in use but on the second attempt it works correctly. Is there a fix to allow the drive to be ejected on the first
    attempt.

GeoffParker_753, Feb 26, 2016
  4. b1rd Win User

Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive

Hi retroboy87,

I don't why that's occurring, but just so you know, you should be able to configure the flash drives so they are safe to just pull out, rather than "safely removing them." I know this is not an answer, but more of a 'work-around' if needed. It should already be defaulted that way as well. More HERE.

Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive [​IMG]

5. WHS
    whs Win User
    The safely remove is there to make sure that all write buffers have been written. That is normally the case if you give it a couple of seconds. The 'false' busy signals can be ignored at that time.

6. Thanks for the replies.

I already have Quick Removal enabled.
    I know I can just pull my flash drive out without safely removing it, but I want figure out what's causing this problem.
    I'm fine with using Quick Removal in the mean time though.

retroboy87, Feb 26, 2016
  7. Cliff S New Member
    Is any program using it?
    I mean is it music that a media player is pointed to, is it being used to back up data?
    Is it mounted in File Explorer?
    You can also try running chkdsk in case it was pulled once when writing wasn't finished.

Cliff S, Feb 26, 2016
  8. bborden Win User

I have a GENPLUS USB-MSDC DISK A USB device with the same problem. There's no "quick removal" setting on the drivers panel. Neither is there a list of tasks

The only hint I have gotten from "troubleshooting" is that it's an older USB device that might not work with USB 3.0.... and I should plug it into a USB 2.0 port. (I'm not sure if I have such a device.)

bborden, Jul 21, 2017
  9. vram Win User
    You could use Process Explorer to see what is locking the drive. I find that it's often Explorer that's mucking up the works. I usually open task manager and restart Explorer and the drive will eject normally after that.

Process Explorer - Windows Sysinternals

10. f14tomcat Win User
    If you have USB 3.0 ports, it's near 100% certain you have 2.0 ports. 3.0 ports are backward compatible with 2.0 devices. Generally, the 2.0 ports will have a black visible connection, and the 3.0 ports will be blue. The female ends. See if you have one and swap the device.

f14tomcat, Jul 21, 2017
  11. Agreed.

I've only ever had one incident involving Flash sticks.
    However it happens ~50% of the time with USB HDDs (using W7 on my PCs).

The strange thing was that it was never a problem with W7 until MS released SP1.

It's gotten worse, as it used to be possible to kill the offending handles in Process Explorer and then eject the drive (without having to kill Windows Explorer).

lehnerus2000, Jul 21, 2017
  12. dmesal Win User
    i know this dosn't help, but if it say's something is using the disk why can't they (the O/S) just say what is using the disk with out having to go to process explorer or what ever if it is file explorer fine just say so

dmesal, Jul 21, 2017
  13. Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive

MS incompetence.
    Apple and Linux Distros can do it, but Windows can't.
    *Doh

A couple of years ago, when people were suggesting features for W10, I suggested a proper "USB Killer", but as you can see we didn't get one.

lehnerus2000, Jul 21, 2017
  14. vram Win User
    Lol, that'd be nice, wouldn't it? *Smile

Thema:

1. Problem Ejecting Sandisk Flash Drive - Similar Threads - Problem Ejecting Sandisk

2. Ejecting Flash Drive Issue

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Ejecting Flash Drive Issue: Hi!Why is it every time I insert a flash drive then ejecting it, It's always saying that the drive is in use even though I don't have any running applications in the background? I tried formatting the drive not quick, inserting the drive, and eject it after a few seconds but...
  3. Ejecting Flash Drive Issue

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Ejecting Flash Drive Issue: Hi!Why is it every time I insert a flash drive then ejecting it, It's always saying that the drive is in use even though I don't have any running applications in the background? I tried formatting the drive not quick, inserting the drive, and eject it after a few seconds but...
  4. ejecting flash drives

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    ejecting flash drives: I have been having this issue. I get the issue fixed and it comes back. I do not like to just pull a flash drive out. It will damage them and they cost too much.It seems to be an issue in Windows 10 2004 but IDK for sure. When I right click the icon down by the clock the USB...
  5. Sandisk flash drive

Sandisk flash drive: when I open my sandisk and try and open certain files I get error mesage the application can not open it because it can not find any editors for this type of file https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sandisk-flash-drive/5449e907-01a0-42dd-822b-0ebb51342083
  6. Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....

Ejecting Hard Drives and Flash Drives .....: Is it safe to keep hard drives and flash drives connected all the time (Windows 10), even when shutting down everyday ... ? Or should I use the Eject feature to be safe ... ? 128834
  7. eject flash drive in WIN 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    eject flash drive in WIN 10: How do you safely eject a flash drive in Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/eject-flash-drive-in-win-10/9529c934-1547-41d6-b2e7-ba498807f206"
  8. SanDisk SDCZ6-1024 flash drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    SanDisk SDCZ6-1024 flash drive: How do I install and startup a SanDisk SDCZ6-1024 flash drive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sandisk-sdcz6-1024-flash-drive/4af09317-8beb-410a-b3a3-5443b2d0acce
  9. SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Glider Flash Drive

SanDisk 64GB Cruzer Glider Flash Drive: I am unable to get Windows 10 to detect it. When I put it into any USB Port, I get a messaged saying that Windows can't recognize it. When I go into Device drivers, I see "(Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed) I've tried everything I can think of. I even thought that it...
  10. No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive

No Option To Eject USB Flash Drive: New Windows 10 Pro install. When I click on the USB icon to eject a flash drive the flash drive shows up, but the option to eject USB flash memory is missing. Windows 10 Issue [img] How it should look, but this is from a Win 7 machine. [img] 100030