Windows 10: Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive

Discus and support Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have read everything on the internet but nothing seems to be offereing any solutions. So when I right click on the external drive i wish to eject,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by LaurenCox, Jun 8, 2020.

1. LaurenCox Win User

Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive

I have read everything on the internet but nothing seems to be offereing any solutions.

So when I right click on the external drive i wish to eject, I don't have the eject option only format. I have gone down to the little arrow at the right bottom of the screen on my taskbar and I no longer have the icon which tells me which devices are currently plugged in. I have updated my drivers but they didn't need updating. I have uninstalled and re-installed drivers and that didn't do anything. I have tried getting my icon on the taskbar back but when i go into taskbar settings there is no such icon anymore. I have tried device manager and disk management and that doesn't provide me with any solutions. I have close to a 1tb of data I cannot lose! Nothing on that device is opened I have throughly checked.

Any advice on how to safely remove the device and get my eject button back would be greatly appreciated.

:)

LaurenCox, Jun 8, 2020

2. Eject options inconsistent between USB stick and USB external drive - Windows 10

When I want to eject a USB stick I can do it 2 different ways (a) by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device (b) in File Explorer by right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB stick and clicking the Eject option

When I want to eject a USB external drive I only have one option, by clicking on the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' icon in the notification area of the taskbar and selecting the device. In File Explorer if I right mouse button on the drive letter
    for the USB external drive, there is no Eject option in the list of options.

Since I am usually in File Explorer when I have either a USB stick or a USB external drive plugged in, it is most natural to me to want to eject from within File Explorer after I have finished with the USB device.

Is there any way to 'switch on' an 'Eject' option within File Explorer for a USB external drive ?

Ron

PS this is true for both Windows 10 Home 32 bit and Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

Ron Hewett, Jun 8, 2020
  3. ejecting a usb drive in 10

Hi Walden,

I realize the inconvenience you are experiencing with accessing Safely Remove and Eject Media USB icon on the taskbar.

To assist you better, please provide us the below information:

• When you say that "not I can not get it to show up in bottom right lower", are you referring that you are not able to see the Eject USB icon under the show hidden icons?

I suggest you to follow the steps below to understand the system

1. Click on Search bar.

2. Then type "Select which icons appear on the taskbar" without the quotes in the search bar and click on it.

3. Turn on Safely Remove Hardware and Eject Media icon.

Reply to us with the information, so that we can assist you better.

Please get back to us with an update on issue, we will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Nyima Yonten, Jun 8, 2020
  4. Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive

usb external harddrive is not detected

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community, we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I understand the inconvenience you are facing with detecting external hard drive via USB 3.0 port, this issue might have occurred due to corrupted or out dated port drivers.

I suggest you to try few of the below troubleshooting steps and check.

Method 1: Run Hardware troubleshooter as it will help in resolving the issues with hardware and resolve any simple issues found.

• Write Troubleshooting
      in the search box and hit Enter.

• Click on Troubleshooting
      tab.

• Click on view all option on the upper left corner.

• Select the Hardware and Device
      options from the list.

• Click Next to run the
      Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Method 2: Uninstall and reinstall the USB driver for the computer and check if the issue persists.

Follow the steps:

• Press Windows and X together and select
      Device Manager.

• Locate the Universal Serial Bus Controller and expand the driver icon.

• Right Click on all the USB driver icon and select
      Uninstall
    Restart the computer. After restarting the computer, USB driver will automatically be installed.

As an additional resource, please refer to the below links and check if it helps.

Install USB 3.0 and other USB devices

(Applies to Windows 10 as well)

Hope it helps. Kindly get back with the status of the issue, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Jun 8, 2020
Thema:

Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive

1. Problem ejecting usb/external harddrive - Similar Threads - Problem ejecting usb

2. Can't safely eject external hard drive with error message: problem ejecting usb attached...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't safely eject external hard drive with error message: problem ejecting usb attached...: This happened after updating to the latest windows 11 version 22h2 from windows 11 21h2. There are no apps running.I tried multiple fixes like shutting down and restarting and logging out then in.I tried to use disk management but the options to eject or turn disk offline...
  3. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  4. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem with ejecting an usb drive: Good evening, I had a problem where when I was safely ejecting my USB drive, it showed me that the drive was in use and I had to close all the programs which are there in the drive running. No programs were running from the drive. I also tried to look in Task Manager but I...
  5. Problem with ejecting an usb drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  6. Cannot Eject External Harddrive Although it is reading it correctly on my computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Cannot Eject External Harddrive Although it is reading it correctly on my computer: So I've never run into this issue before, but I've been using various external harddrives on my computer, and none of them are allowing me to eject after I am finished with them. They all are reading correctly, and are letting me explore within them, create folders, etc., but...
  7. Problem Ejecting External Drive

Problem Ejecting External Drive: I've been using a Seagate 2TB Expansion Drive via USB for quite a while. Recently when I go to eject the drive, I get the following pop up. Before I get scathed, I realize that I don't need to eject it via taskbar icon, but I've been doing it that way for quite a long time....
  8. Problem with External Driver ejection

Problem with External Driver ejection: So i have had problems of ejecting my drive for weeks now and had multiple folder corrupted because of it and i have now found 1 of the reason i can't eject it and what is stopping me is apparently the system and MsMpEng.exe which is very annoying and i am annoyed having my...
  9. Problem ejecting external HDD

Problem ejecting external HDD: Hello MS Community, I had a brand new Toshiba 500gb HDD that I put in a case I bought online to use as an external HDD. When I shutdown all files/programs related to said HDD and try to eject I get error message saying the "device is currently in use" even though...
  10. Problem with USB eject icon

Problem with USB eject icon: On windows 10 (10240 build with all updated), lately I have a problem with the "eject usb" icon in taskbar, when I have a External HDD or USB in my PC (any USB 2.0 or 3.0 port) and then I do click in "safely remove hardware" in the eject icon, I don't get notification or...