Windows 10: Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

Discus and support Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50%... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by barence, Aug 31, 2015.

1. barence Win User

Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage

Every day, at intermittent times unrelated to anything I do [it happens when I'm doing nothing], Explorer starts running with each core at about 50% cpu usage, and does not stop. Temperatures and fan speeds rise, fans become very noisy.

Speedfan indicates core temps rise to ~ 70 degrees C, "Temp1" rises to 75 - 80 degrees, fan 1 speed ~ 4000rpm,
    fan 2 speed ~ 2500 rpm.

I have just installed Windows 10 so it seems it could not be caused by a virus/malware.

In windows 7 forums some users found the problem was caused by a corrupted file:

Explorer.exe 50% CPU usage - Windows 7 Help Forums

Since my problem is intermittent is it unlikely to be caused by a corrupted file?

I can't use the solution suggested in the W7 forums because when I kill explorer I lose my desktop.

I ran diskcheck on both my hard drives and it reported no errors found.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Can someone please explain why a corrupted file would cause explorer to run at 50% cpu usage?

:)

barence, Aug 31, 2015

2. 100% cpu usage windows 10

pattygraffuis, Aug 31, 2015
  3. windows 10 screnn blinking

After the installation after signing in it displays the Desktop. The screen blinks. The Desktop Icons are there one blink and not the next. Next to the mouse pointer there is ablue loading circle.

In Task Manager the CPU is clocking at 98% usage.

Host Processing For Setting Synchronization is jumping between 50 - 69 % of CPU usage

With Windows explorer clocking in at 15%...

So how do I fix it so that my laptop is usable again?

NadineCupryn, Aug 31, 2015
  4. barence Win User

Well - I finally did a clean reinstall of Windows 10 and the problem has not returned so far.

barence, Sep 8, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    That was probably the smartest thing to do! Did you verify you are activated? Are you running RTM or Insider?

f14tomcat, Sep 8, 2015
  6. barence Win User
    No, I'm not activated. The story is:

I upgraded from Windows 7. [I also downloaded W 10.]

Couldn't get satisfactory display resolution. Couldn't get a W10 driver from manufacturer's website or anywhere else. Rolled back to W7.

Later found a driver - [hidden on manufacturer's website].

Tried to upgrade to W10 again. Now got message: W10 incompatible your computer - no driver for your video card - couldn't upgrade.

Installed W10 from the copy I'd downloaded.

Installed the driver - [wouldn't install itself- required a trick I got from someone on the web].

Can't now activate.

I don't know what RTM and Insider are.

barence, Sep 8, 2015
  7. f14tomcat Win User
    Question... where did you get the Windows 10 download? Home page - Windows Insider Program

If you had a valid license on or win 7, it should have offered you an upgrade, for free, to win 10.

RTM means the Windows release that was officially put out on July 29th, 2015 to manufactures and the general public who had opted in to receive the free upgrade. Insider is an option to can do to test the OS by getting early releases and updates. The option is under Advanced in the Windows Update Setting.

If you do not have, did not have, a valid license for the Win 7.... you are basically going nowhere. A valid, installed Windows 7 or 8/8.1, and activated, is required to get to Windows 10, legitimately. Otherwise......

f14tomcat, Sep 8, 2015
  8. barence Win User

Download? From Microsoft, before I rolled back to W7.

No problems for the time being.

Cheers.

barence, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem: Explorer 50% cpu usage - Similar Threads - Problem Explorer 50%

2. GPU and CPU usage under 50% in most of the games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    GPU and CPU usage under 50% in most of the games: Hi, I just installed a new RTX 4070 Ti Super, and when I start for example MSFS2020, Cyberpunk, or other games on max settings, I see that my GPU and CPU usage is below 40-50% and I get below 60 fps, but I should get in most of those games more than a 100 fps, does anyone...
  3. GPU and CPU usage under 50% in most of the games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    GPU and CPU usage under 50% in most of the games: Hi, I just installed a new RTX 4070 Ti Super, and when I start for example MSFS2020, Cyberpunk, or other games on max settings, I see that my GPU and CPU usage is below 40-50% and I get below 60 fps, but I should get in most of those games more than a 100 fps, does anyone...
  4. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU: On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex...
  5. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU: On the latest update of windows 10, windows explorer is using upwards of 50% of my cpu consistently. Deleting temp files did nothing.I have no clue what is going on, so any help is appreciated.System Specs:i7-479016gb ram1tb hddnvidia quadro k2000 2gbchassis is an optiplex...
  6. Windows Explorer using upwards of 50% CPU

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. CPU usage problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CPU usage problem: task manager and msi dragon center showing different temperature. Task manager showing 100% usage whereas msi dragon center showing 1-6% usage. Wmi provider host is using most of the CPU. How will I solve this?...
  8. Windows Explorer CPU Usage

Windows Explorer CPU Usage: Since this morning Windows Explorer is running at over 30% while I'm doing nothing. The icons on the windows taskbar and the desktop are constantly refreshing and redrawing themselves. I have not installed anything at all this week. Running Windows 10 Version 1890...
  9. Windows10 Cpu usage problem

Windows10 Cpu usage problem: Hello i need help i really need hlp pls help me in my pc i notice after upgrading to windows it was using a little more cpu but later i notice it is using 100% cpu for all small task and i notice that when use any brower it use 100% cpu idk why but for even browsing sites it...
  10. Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows Explorer takes up 40-50% CPU usage: Hello, I have this problem where after some hours of use (~3, for example) the windows explorer takes up 40-50% of the CPU causing major performance loss. I do not know what is causing this problem, as it does have to do with my activity, since when this happens I am not...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. file explorer using 50% cpu

2. 50% cpu usage with no programs running windows 10

3. window explore 50% cpu

4. windows explore over 50% cpu,
  5. windows explorer uses 50% cpu