Windows 10: Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10

Discus and support Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I installed another hard drive. I went into Disk Management to format it. Disk Management asked me if I wanted to format it to GPT or MBR. I wasn't... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by DeniseJM, Oct 14, 2018.

1. DeniseJM Win User

Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10

I installed another hard drive. I went into Disk Management to format it. Disk Management asked me if I wanted to format it to GPT or MBR. I wasn't sure so I closed the box, opened a new tab and looked up to see what I should do. I found that I should format it as GPT. When I went back to Disk Management, the option to format the hard drive was no longer available by right clicking on the hard drive. I opened a new tab and found and did this:

Backup all your data and then use the DISKPART command.

• Open command prompt and type in DISKPART and press Enter
    • Then type in list disk (Note down the number of the disk that you want to convert to GPT)
    • Then type in select disknumber of disk
    • Finally, type in convert gpt.

It said that the disk was converted to gpt.

In Disk Management, the hard drive doesn't show up in the top panel where it lists all my hard drives. In the bottom panel, it says that the disk is Unallocated.

I rebooted by computer but it wouldn't go any further than a black screen that says that it's Verifying something. I waited about 5 minutes and it never went any further. I pressed reset, disconnected the hard drive and my computer booted back up to Windows. I then reconnected the drive with Windows booted up, went into Disk Management, and again the drive is not listed in the top panel and in the bottom panel, it's still listed as Unallocated.

What do I do now?

:)

DeniseJM, Oct 14, 2018
  2. Hitman Win User

Windows 10 formatting ?

Hello all
    I have 3 hard drives
    1 sata 1 tb with Windows 10
    2 older drives that are ide that I use for apps and data and not clutter my main drive.

I will be replacing the 2 older drives with a 2 tb data drive

I am thinking of formatting my main drive and starting all new and reloading everything.

My problem is that I was on Windows 7 pro 64 bit and got Windows 10 pro 64 bit upgrade free.
    So don't have Windows 10 CD or a code for it. So if I format will I be able to get Windows 10 for free
    Or I'll I have to buy the CD.
    Don't really want to spend 200.00 bucks right now.

Have not formatted in a while what's the best way now a days ?

Thanks Ruben

Hitman, Oct 14, 2018
  3. Paolo Mag Win User
    Formatting a dual boot system with windows 10 and ubuntu

Hi,

In Windows 10, you can easily format a hard drive or a partition by accessing Computer Management. For us to assist you, we suggest that you follow the steps listed below:

• Press the Start button.
    • Type Computer Management.
    • On the left side, click on Disk Management under Storage.
    • Locate the drive that you want to format.
    • Once located, right-click on the drive and choose Format.

If the hard drive has not been formatted with the steps that we have provided above, we recommend that you contact the manufacturer of your hard drive. Some hard drive requires a software that you'll need to use just to format it.

Let us know how it goes and if you need further assistance, feel free to post back.

Paolo Mag, Oct 14, 2018
  4. RejZoR Win User

How to format hard drive and still keep windows 10?

Though just formatting C: drive isn't enough. Old Windows created one extra hidden partition and Windows 10 creates another one, both together taking almost 1GB of space.

RejZoR, Oct 14, 2018
Thema:

1. Problem formatting hard drive in Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Problem formatting hard

2. Problems formatting my hard drive . . .

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Problems formatting my hard drive . . .: Problems formatting my hard drive . . .My computer is a Dell laptop, running Windows 10.Do to some problems, I had to reformat my hard drive.I have a USB drive, with installation media.So I clicked on startup, to get it going.Then it said, this won't take long.Then it...
  3. Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Formatting Hard Drives Windows Installation?: Hi. I have four hard drives in my computer. On one is Windows 10 and I want to reinstall the operating system. In the Windows installation manager (when booting from the stick etc.) you can format the hard drives. The only thing is that I have to unplug my remaining 3...
  4. Will upgrading Windows format hard drive?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Will upgrading Windows format hard drive?: Hi, I am currently having Windows 10 Enterprise 1803 installed on my laptop. I want to upgrade it using the ISO file downloaded from Microsoft's official website. So, my question is, will upgrading windows clear my hard drive all partitions: c,d&e? Thanks, Regards,...
  5. Formating a hard drive.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Formating a hard drive.: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  6. Formating Hard Drives

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formating Hard Drives: I want to format my Intel hard drive so I can have a clean reinstall of Windows 10 but I can't format it because the drive I am trying to format is where Windows 10 is and I am using Windows 10 to try to format it. I have looked up every possible way to do this but I still...
  7. Format hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Format hard drive: I cannot do updates because I am out of disk space but I cannot figure out how to free up disk space. I've deleted all unneeded program files and want to just reformat the hard drive. The option to reformat is grayed out, however. Sometimes the laptop will give me a gray...
  8. Password problem, removed hard drive, formatted hard drive, have windows 10 usb

Password problem, removed hard drive, formatted hard drive, have windows 10 usb: Hi, Password problem, removed hard drive, formatted hard drive, have windows 10 usb installer. How can I install the windows usb if the computer bios is not set to be 1st during boot? Thanks, Joe...
  9. formatting a hard drive

formatting a hard drive: does anyone know how to format a hard drive to load and run windows 10 ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/formatting-a-hard-drive/398827f9-3683-4e2c-a621-a32071e1d680
  10. Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10

Formatting Hard drive in Windows 10: If I want to make a bootable hard drive for Windows 10 in the NTFS file system with no partitions do I have to do it in the GPT format?...