Windows 10: Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update

Discus and support Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have tried everything, including the suggestions given by Microsoft, but despite plugging in a 120GB portable drive to help the download process, I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by ccchui, Sep 24, 2020.

1. ccchui Win User

Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update

I have tried everything, including the suggestions given by Microsoft, but despite plugging in a 120GB portable drive to help the download process, I am not given the option to use a portable drive. The upgrade tool simply shows the same error message as the update message, stating clear an additional 8GB of HD space. Can you help?

:)

ccchui, Sep 24, 2020

2. Can't install update on external hard drive?

Thank you for that information Laura.

Since the Update Assistant is still not offering the option to install updates in external drive, I suggest that you create a bootable media using a USB flash drive and another one where we will install the updates. See

Create Windows 10 installation media
    and follow the steps under "Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file)" to learn how.

Afterwards, follow the steps below on how to install updates :

• Connect both the USB flash drive with Windows 10 installation files
      and the other empty USB flash drive.
    • Double-click the Setup.exe file to launch the Windows 10 installation from the USB flash drive.
    • Select the Keep personal files and apps option to update your computer.
    • If you get the "Windows needs more space" option, click the
      Choose another drive
      or attach an external drive with 10GB available link.
    • Click Install
    • Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation process as necessary.

We appreciate your patience Laura. Don't hesitate to post back if you need more help.

Israel Arn, Sep 24, 2020
  3. External hard drive not suppoted after anniversary update windows 10

To isolate the issue, we suggest that you perform the following steps below:

• Connect the external hard drive to the different port and check if the issue persists.
    • Use different external hard drive to connect to the same port and check if same issue happens.

If the same issue happens after using different external hard drive to different ports, try to run
    Hardware and Devices troubleshooter as it checks for common problem and make sure that any new devices or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly. Here's how:

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device Troubleshooter.

After that, follow the steps on how to Install and Update drivers
    in Windows 10

Let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Acelyn Alc, Sep 24, 2020
  4. Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update

Help with external hard drive

Hi Debbra,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I appreciate your interest in windows 10 and also for trying the troubleshooting steps to fix the issue. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

I would suggest you to plug in hard drive then check in disk management you can see the drive or not.

Follow the steps to check Drive in Disk Management.

• Go to the Control Panel then click on the
      Administrative Tools. .

• Under the Administrative Tool Click on Computer Management.

• Click on Disk Management and check the External Hard Drive.

Also check in BIOS whether External Hard Drive is listed or not.

For help with the BIOS settings, refer to the computer manual or contact the manufacturer.

If it doesn’t work then, I would suggest you to update BIOS for updating BIOS contact Lenovo Support.

Follow the link:

http://support.lenovo.com/in/hi/

Disclaimer :

Modifying BIOS/complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings
    can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.

Hope this information is helpful. Please do let us know if you need further assistance, we’ll be glad to assist you.

Thanks.

Preeti Patel, Sep 24, 2020
Thema:

Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update

1. Problem in attaching external hard drive to install windows 10 update - Similar Threads - Problem attaching external

2. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  3. External Hard Drive Problems

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External Hard Drive Problems: External Hard connects to pc sound when connecting but is not shown in My PC on explorer - how do I fix this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/external-hard-drive-problems/2c02eed4-8548-4518-b309-27e1c253e5d6
  4. External hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  5. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I had been using my hard drive for a year and a half and today my laptop suddenly stopped detecting it even when it appears on the Devices under Settings. I tried every trick that's usually given like checking if the drivers were up-to-date if the USB cable was the problem,...
  6. Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive OS Repair/Access on a hard drive attached as a external hard drive: I have a computer originally from my son. It had not been running for 5-7 years, burnt power supply. I was updating to most current Win 10 and the files got corrupted at version 1909 and it won't boot. In Win PE recovery mode I've tried system restore, system reset, advanced...
  7. Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Stuck on BSOD with external hard drive attached: I was processing raw image files from an external hard drive when my screen went completely black. After a few seconds, I got the BSOD for the first time ever. It has been sitting at 100% complete for about 20 minutes. The fan is making a lot of noise (it's usually silent)....
  8. Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Unable to Boot Windows 10 with External Hard Drive Attached: So this question is asked here and there with nothing concrete. I have an alienware alpha with Windows 10. Whenever I plug in an external hard drive Seagate Backup Plus NAB90MJS 2019 the computer goes into black screen. Things I have tried: 1. Using Legacy BIOS 2....
  9. newest update external hard drive problem

newest update external hard drive problem: with the newest update that came out just yesterday. 9/14/2019. my external usb hardrive no longer reads. i have tried all of my usb ports. it only work under one instance. if i connect it to a usb hub that is connected tot he computer on a usb extension. which makes no sense...
  10. External hard drive problem

External hard drive problem: I have 2TB seaget hard disk (HD) . As soon as I attach my hard disk to surface go it shows 100% performance in task manager with 0 reading and writing speed. No antivirus is working as I start scanning it, it stays at 0% for long time until it detaches itself. Even the...