Windows 10: Problem in staying connected to a Wifi network

Discus and support Problem in staying connected to a Wifi network in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hello, I need help with the the issue I am facing consistently. I am not able to keep my device Acer Swift 3 connected to my home WIFI network. It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Sandeep Renduchintala, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Problem in staying connected to a Wifi network

Hello,

I need help with the the issue I am facing consistently. I am not able to keep my device Acer Swift 3 connected to my home WIFI network. It keeps getting disconnected after a restart or being idle for a few mins. It is taking a lot of hard work to connect it again. I am not facing this issue with my work laptop Windows 10 or mobile devices which uses the same network.

Error: " Can't connect to this network"

Troubleshoot Tried till now:

1:Ran the windows troubleshooter which fixed the issue temporarily a few times but not all the times.

In the report, problem can be found as "Problem with Wireless adapter or Access point"

2:Tried to forget the network Settings->wifi->manage Known networks

3: Tried to reset my router and Network Reset too.

4: I took chance and reset my entire PC : , Still the problem is same.

Additional info, When I try to connect after Network Reset, sometimes I notice available networks are getting replicatedex, XYZ can be seen as XYZ and XYZ2 and also there is a delay of more than 5 mins to stop showing in the available networks even when the router or Mobile Hotspot is turned off.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Sandeep Renduchintala, Jun 25, 2020
  2. coffent Win User

How to connect to an existing wifi network?

As you suggested, I tried disabling the ethernet adapter and that caused wi-fi to connect, so the desktop wifi does work. Also, I accessed the router and changed the wireless network name (to wfCHS). Thanks!

However many problems are still unresolved:

My laptop behaves just as I want it to. Assuming the router has wifi turned on and the laptop has an ethernet connection, connection to the internet is by ethernet (no private network name), and the wi-fi connection is to my private network "wfCHS", but with no connection to the internet. (If I disconnect the ethernet cable, then wfCHS becomes connected to the internet and stays that way even if I reconnect the cable.) A directory listing shows both laptop and desktop under "Network". Great!

Things are rather different with the desktop. With Ethernet disabled, the desktop shows a wi-fi connection to the internet. Under Settings > Status it's called "wfCHS" but under Network Connections it's called wfCHS2. If I then re-enable the ethernet connection, the wifi connection stays enabled for a minute or two, then disconnects. Further, the ethernet connection is given the name wfCHS2 under both Status and Network Connections.

Why does the desktop give an (unwanted) name to the ethernet connection while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop disconnect its wi-fi connection a minute or so after the ethernet connection is enabled, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the desktop give two different names to the wifi connection, depending on whether it's viewed under Status or Network Connections, while the laptop doesn't?

Why does the laptop show the desktop under Network, while the desktop shows only itself?

Things are so convoluted that I'd be happy to start over. I've had the desktop "forget" the wi-fi connection as you suggested, then re-established it, but this hasn't helped. Can the ethernet connection also be "forgotten"?

Really appreciate the help you've given so far!

coffent, Jun 25, 2020
  3. David Haz Win User
    WiFi Connection Problem

Hello Claire,

For us to isolate the issue you are experiencing, kindly respond to the questions below:

• When did the issue started?
    • Have you made any software or hardware changes to your device prior to the issue?

As a first troubleshooting step, we suggest that you run the Network troubleshooter. The Network troubleshooter can help diagnose and fix common connection problem. Here's how to run the troubleshooter:

• In the search box on the taskbar, type Network troubleshooter, and then select
      Identify and repair network problems from the list of results.
    • Follow the steps in the troubleshooter and see if that resolves the problem.

David Haz, Jun 25, 2020
  4. Problem in staying connected to a Wifi network

Problems with wifi staying connected

To answer your question, there is a way for you to know what's causing this issue to occur. Kindly run the network adapter troubleshooter by following the steps below:

• Go to Control Panel.
    • Under System and Security, click on Find and fix problems.
    • Click on View all which is located at the left panel.
    • Click on Network Adapter.
    • Click on Advanced, then click on Next.

If the troubleshooter can't identify the problem, kindly try the available troubleshooting steps that you haven't tried yet in this article:

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10

Let us know if you need further assistance with your concern.

Joshua Her1, Jun 25, 2020
Thema:

Problem in staying connected to a Wifi network

1. Problem in staying connected to a Wifi network - Similar Threads - Problem staying connected

2. Problems with wifi staying connected on windows 10.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with wifi staying connected on windows 10.: My wifi connects on my pc but downloads and runs very slow for about 5 minutes before it stops working, if i click on the wifi icon while its connected, i only see mines appearing for about 2 seconds before all the other networks pop up. its very slow and i can only download...
  3. Problems with wifi staying connected on windows 10.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problems with wifi staying connected on windows 10.: My wifi connects on my pc but downloads and runs very slow for about 5 minutes before it stops working, if i click on the wifi icon while its connected, i only see mines appearing for about 2 seconds before all the other networks pop up. its very slow and i can only download...
  4. Problems with wifi staying connected on windows 10.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. WiFi problem - Unable to connect to this network

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WiFi problem - Unable to connect to this network: I have a HP Elitebook 840 G6 which I didn't use for about 6 months. When I recently powered it back on, it recognized all WIFI connections as 'secured', but refused to connect to any of them. After going through the process to connect incl entering password etc, it says...
  6. wifi will not stay connected

wifi will not stay connected: i am beyond over this i did have an ethernet connection but have moved and that is not an optionstart off connected it may last 2 min may last 10 then drops and reconnects sometimes this is any wifi network including mobile hotspots.. i have updated drivers, restore factory...
  7. Wifi network connection range problem

Wifi network connection range problem: My laptop was working just fine till yesterday. Suddenly, I lost the connectivity to my wifi from my office desk in my room and had to come and sit near the router in order to get the connectivity back. The connection weakens with every step I move away from the router and...
  8. WiFi will not stay connected to one network in particular

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    WiFi will not stay connected to one network in particular: I am currently staying at a hotel for an extended period of time for work. Their WiFi isn’t the best, but until recently, it’s been consistent For the past 3 or 4 days, my pc connects intermittently to the WiFi network. It will connect, disconnect repeatedly. I have scoured...
  9. Windows can't stay connected to my wifi network

Windows can't stay connected to my wifi network: I recently built a new PC and have been having some recurring issues with my internet connection since I built it. Whenever I boot up the system, it says it connects to my home network, but cant get internet access. After much troubleshooting, I have figured a band-aid...
  10. WiFi Will not Stay Connected

WiFi Will not Stay Connected: I have a Asus Q200E and i have windows 10 on the computer. When using my Mac, it never has problems staying connected to the wifi so I know that is not the issue. I need help with this issue. Thanks...