Windows 10: Problem installing KB5000842 via WU

Discus and support Problem installing KB5000842 via WU in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Saw this update and decided to run it. All seemed to go ok. I clicked on Restart now and the machine restarted. The update screen came on the and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Gator5000e, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Problem installing KB5000842 via WU

Saw this update and decided to run it. All seemed to go ok. I clicked on Restart now and the machine restarted. The update screen came on the and it got to about 30% and then the machine rebooted again. Nothing overly unusual.

In most cases, it would reboot and then resume with the update. Now, however, it did not. It started the reboot but now all I am seeing is a blank black screen (as if the computer is off). Nothing appears to be happening as far as i can tell. I do not see any activity on my hard drive light. But my screen power is lit as if the computer is on. It has been about 15 minutes since this happened.

I guess I could do a hard power off but am afraid to do that. So any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I did the hard shut down as I couldn't wait anymore and got a blue screen that says Windows was repairing something (it didn't say what) and then it rebooted and now it is saying Windows couldn't complete the updates....undoing changes. Now it is restarting again. Now it restarted again. Now it says getting Windows ready and finally rebooted to my log in screen. Damn, when I saw the Repairing screen, I got pretty darn nervous. Never had an issue with WU before today. Now I am getting a message that my computer recovered from a start up failure on W10, ver 1903. That was not fun.

:)

Gator5000e, Mar 30, 2021

2. windows xp installation and dual core am

could someone please list the steps they follow to install windows with a dual core processor and windows xp service pack to. I'm reletively new to amd dual core and i feel i'm missing a step. All help will be appreciated. thanx

exodusprime1337, Mar 30, 2021
  3. How to install 20H2 when WU is having problems

I would try upgrading again "manually"...meaning download the 20H2 ISO, right-click on the ISO and select Mount, double-click on setup.exe

There is a step at the beginning of the install process where you can tell the installer not to download updates at this time.

Select that.

Problem installing KB5000842 via WU [​IMG]

Problem installing KB5000842 via WU [​IMG]

If it fails, download and run SetupDiag -

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...rade/setupdiag

Post the results.

OldNavyGuy, Mar 30, 2021
  4. Problem installing KB5000842 via WU

Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

Problem installing KB5000842 via WU

1. Problem installing KB5000842 via WU - Similar Threads - Problem installing KB5000842

2. Problems with WU for one download only

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problems with WU for one download only: HP - Printer - 3.2.1.2285 has failed to install on my laptop for the past few days. Today though I had a bunch of updates to install without issue. For the past few days, this particular one comes back with "Install error - 0x800f020b".Any advice is welcome.RF...
  3. Mobile bios UEFI updating via wu.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mobile bios UEFI updating via wu.: From this thread 1909 has a BIOS firmware update feature built into the Device Manager Just posting to @Try3 in that I've just updated the bios via WU again on a new laptop with fingers crossed. 182193
  4. Windows 20H2 (KB5000842)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 20H2 (KB5000842): Lately I have seen quite a lot of posts on this subreddit explaining how update KB5000842 broke their pc. I was wondering if it is safe to update now. I am only 1 version behind and so far it seems the BSOD's were caused by back-to-back updates. Any help would be welcome....
  5. KB5000842 update - Hibernation and Sleep problems

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    KB5000842 update - Hibernation and Sleep problems: I notice that, after installing KB5000842 update, my PC will not remain in a state of hibernation. It appears to hibernate and then immediately wakes up. Same problem applies to Sleep mode. Has anyone else noticed this? submitted by /u/LondonClicker [link] [comments]...
  6. constant error KB5000842

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    constant error KB5000842: Cumulative Update I have tried everything listed here and nothing helps. I am truly beginning to wonder if Windows 10 was a complete mistake. Has anyone found anything that truly works in loading these programs?...
  7. KB5000842 Fails to Install

KB5000842 Fails to Install: KB5000842 Fails to Install. Any ideas here. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/kb5000842-fails-to-install/4ed9c3b0-f0d7-4ee9-8536-676a226e46ee
  8. KB4592438 Stuck via WU

in Windows 10 Support
    KB4592438 Stuck via WU: Once again WU giving me issues. I did an in place upgrade to 20H2 last month. Figured I'd see where this months updates were and I can see its trying to install KB4592438 through WU at least since yesterday. It has been at 75%, stayed that way overnight. Its messing up the...
  9. How to install 20H2 when WU is having problems

How to install 20H2 when WU is having problems: Six computers ranging from 10+ to 2 years old or so. One of the newer computer has now failed to install the October cumulative update multiple times a day for almost a month. No idea why. First major issue I can recall. Everything I have tried to fix these errors has not...
  10. Threshold Downloaded but Update Failed to Install via WU and MCT

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Threshold Downloaded but Update Failed to Install via WU and MCT: Windows Update says it downloaded the update but every time it runs, it fails. The failure message is almost immediate. there is no error # associated with the failure. Only the generic, "There were problems installing some updates, but we'll try again later". I tried...