Windows 10: Problem installing used ssd

Discus and support Problem installing used ssd in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Is it possible to install a used SSD from my laptop into my new desktop because I tried and tried but still getting an error stating that it's possible... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Mech4Life1970, Feb 1, 2023.

1. Problem installing used ssd

Is it possible to install a used SSD from my laptop into my new desktop because I tried and tried but still getting an error stating that it's possible has write protection on it and another error said there a conflict with I/O..I tried diskpart but the SSD doesn't show up but it shows up in disk manager but I can't initialize it..I also have ease us and same thing...I you tubed this and tried all the suggestions I could before I finally gave up..like 9-10 different waysLoL..I don't give in so easy...so now I turn it over to the pros...please help

:)

Mech4Life1970, Feb 1, 2023

2. Windows 10 infinite restart black screen

The tutorials provided are just a list of troubleshooting steps. Use only the steps which apply to you.

Since none of the troubleshooting steps here worked, I'd suggest you do a Clean install.

John

AmericanPharaoh, Feb 1, 2023
  3. Solaris17 Win User
    Installing SSD right now, could use some advice.

yes you can.

install 1 game and then you create a shortcut to the game folder but move them to another drive. its called a symbolic link i think.

EDIT i guess ill look in my computer and show you how.

STEP 1: Go to your computer

Problem installing used ssd [​IMG]

STEP 2: Go to your C: drive and to the Steam folder, look for the folder "steamapps"

STEP 3: Now cut and paste to the drive you want the games installed on. Now go back to the "Steam" folder on the C: drive. I used my SD card since im running my laptop with my SSD on it ATM, but follow these steps of creating a shorcut INSIDE your steam folder. Create a shortcut.

STEP 4: Navigate to "steamapps" folder on your game drive. select the folder but NOT any of the folders or files IN IT.

STEP 5: Look and make sure the path is correct and click next

STEP 6: MAKE SURE the name of the shortcut is EXACTLY the same as the ORIGINAL steamapps folder even the case. Then click finish.

STEP 7: We will pretend my SD card is the inside of my steam folder. You should now have a shartcut called steamapps it should NOT say "shortcut to" before it and when you mouse over it it should be the PATH to the other drive the ACTUAL folder is located at.

your done. MAKE SURE STEAM IS OFF BEFORE YOU DO THIS.

Solaris17, Feb 1, 2023
  4. Problem installing used ssd

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

Hi,

use steps you suggested, there should be no problem.

Just replace HDD with SSD first then run installation. Do not forget to remove Windows files from HDD after the end of a process.

Igor Leyko, Feb 1, 2023
Thema:

Problem installing used ssd

1. Problem installing used ssd - Similar Threads - Problem installing used

2. Problem installing used ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Problem installing used ssd: Is it possible to install a used SSD from my laptop into my new desktop because I tried and tried but still getting an error stating that it's possible has write protection on it and another error said there a conflict with I/O..I tried diskpart but the SSD doesn't show up...
  3. Win 7 installing SSD problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 installing SSD problem: As the subject said,my win 7 pc can't detect my newly installed Samsung 970 Evo plus SSD.I'm using MSI B365M Pro-VH board and its Bios can detect the SSD.I can't even see the SSD in Disk Management.I've tried many methods but none of them works :...
  4. There was a problem installing windows on ssd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    There was a problem installing windows on ssd: Hello, colleagues! Yesterday I installed win on my pc where I also have hdd with windows, but when installing when i had to format the partitions on ssd to put the system clean, the boot partition and system reserved with win on hdd were accidentally deleted. Do you have any...
  5. There was a problem installing windows on ssd

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    There was a problem installing windows on ssd: Hello, colleagues! Yesterday I installed win on my pc where I also have hdd with windows, but when installing when i had to format the partitions on ssd to put the system clean, the boot partition and system reserved with win on hdd were accidentally deleted. Do you have any...
  6. There was a problem installing windows on ssd

in Windows 10 Customization
  7. Installing windows to SSD problem

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Installing windows to SSD problem: I have a laptop with only hdd installed to it. It was very slow so i decided to install an ssd. I cloned the entire hdd to ssd and then shut down. After that i went to bios and change boot drive to ssd. Then, it bluescreened. Now i cant boot my laptop at all unless the ssd is...
  8. Problem with an Installation on new ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with an Installation on new ssd: The Device: Lenovo Thinkpad carbon x1 5th gen. The SSD: I upgraded a (compatible) from the 512 PCle ssd that came with it, to an M2 NVMe 1TB I used a re installation USB for Windows 10 I got on Amazon (Please don't judge me, I've had bad luck downloading installation...
  9. ssd problem installing

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    ssd problem installing: hey everyone when i put this pc together i've built it with a m.2 950pro, install win10 from a usb, system is awesome. problem, i wanted to install the crucial for games, i know the m.2 shares pci-exp, but i've tried all the sata ports and new cables while using onboard...
  10. Installation problems on SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Installation problems on SSD: Hi there, I hope you guys can help me with a little problem I encountered while installing. I got a new Computer (new mb, a ssd, new cpu etc) and after assembling it I'm trying to install Windows 10 on the SSD via a bootable USB drive. Only the SSD, the dvd drive and the usb...