Windows 10: Problem making partitions.

Discus and support Problem making partitions. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Need to make a ext4 logical partition but it is allowing only primary: [img] Please help 31159 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by alekhka, Nov 22, 2015.

1. alekhka Win User

Problem making partitions.

Need to make a ext4 logical partition but it is allowing only primary:

Problem making partitions. [​IMG]

Please help

:)

alekhka, Nov 22, 2015

2. Does making more partitions of hard disk have any effect on performance of pc? Will it increase or decrease the performance?

I want to increase the number of partitions of my pc hard disk. I want to know that doing this will increase the pc performance or will decrease it? Please answer me in simple wording..........

rverma9797, Nov 22, 2015
  3. Ken Blake Win User
    Does making more partitions of hard disk have any effect on performance of pc? Will it increase or decrease the performance?

It does not affect performance.

But why do you want to do this? For most people it's a mistake. Here's my standard post on this subject:

There is a wide variety of different ways people set up multiple partitions these days. Some of these uses are reasonable, some are questionable, some are outright bad. I’ll discuss a number of common partition types in what follows:

1. A partition for just Windows

Most people who create such a partition do so because they believe that if they ever have to reinstall Windows cleanly, at least they won’t lose their data and won’t have to reinstall their applications, because both are safe on other partitions.

In fact the first of those thoughts is a false comfort, and the second is downright wrong. See the discussion of partition types 2 and 4 below to find out why.

Also note that as time passes, many people find that their Windows partition that started out to be the right size turns out to be too small. For example, if you have such a Windows partition, and later upgrade to a newer version of Windows, you may find that
    your Windows partition is too small.

2. A partition for installed programs

This normally goes hand-in-hand with partition type 1, a partition for just Windows. The thought that if you reinstall Windows, your installed application programs are safe if they are in a separate partitions is simply wrong. That’s because all installed programs
    (except for an occasional trivial one) have pointers to them within Windows, in the registry and elsewhere, as well as associated files buried within the Windows folder. So if Windows goes, the pointers and files go with it. Since programs have to be reinstalled
    if Windows does, this rationale for a separate partition for programs doesn't work. In fact, there is hardly ever a good reason for separating Windows from application software in separate partitions.

3. A partition for the swap file.

Some people erroneously think that having the page file on a separate partition will improve performance. That is also false; it doesn’t help, and often hurts, performance, because it increases head movement to get back and forth from the page file to the other
    frequently-used data on the

drive. For best performance, the page file should normally be on the most-used partition of the least-used physical drive. For almost everyone with a single physical drive, that’s the same drive Windows is on, C:.

4. A partition for backup of other partitions.

Some people make a separate partition to store backups of their other partition(s). People who rely on such a "backup" are just kidding themselves. It's only very slightly better than no backup at all, because it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss
    of the original and backup to many of the most common dangers: head crashes and other kinds of drive failure, severe power glitches, nearby lightning strikes, virus attacks, even theft of the computer. In my view, secure backup needs to be on removable media,
    and not kept in the computer.

5. A partition for data files

Above, when I discussed separating Windows on a partition of its own, I pointed out that separating data from Windows is a false comfort if it’s done with the thought that the data will be safe if Windows ever has to be reinstalled. The reason I call it a false
    comfort is because I fear that many people will rely on that separation, think that their data is safe there, and therefore do not take appropriate steps to back it up. In truth the data is not safe there. Having to reinstall Windows is only one of the dangers
    to someone’s hard drive, and not even the most likely one. This kind of “safeguard” falls into the same category as a partition for backup of other partitions; it leaves you susceptible to simultaneous loss of the original and backup to many of the most common
    dangers that affect the entire physical drive, not just the particular partition. Safety comes from a strong backup regimen, not from how you partition.

However for some people it can be a good idea to separate Windows and programs on the one hand from data on the other, putting each of the two types into separate partitions. I think that most people’s partitioning scheme should be based on their backup scheme,
    and backup schemes generally fall into two types: imaging the entire hard drive or backup of data only. If you backup data only, that backup is usually facilitated by having a separate partition with data only; that permits backing up just that partition easily,
    without having to collect bits and pieces from here and there. On the other hand, for those who backup by creating an image of the entire drive, there is usually little, if any, benefit to separating data in a partition of its own.

By the way, in all fairness, I should point out that there are many well-respected people who recommend a separate partition for Windows, regardless of your backup scheme. Their arguments haven’t convinced me, but there are clearly two different views here.

6. A partition for picture files

Some people like to treat pictures and videos as something separate from other data files, and create a separate partition for them. To my mind, a picture is simply another kind of data, and there is no advantage in doing this.

7. A partition for music files.

The comments above pertaining to picture files apply equally to music files. They are just another kind of data and should be treated the same way as other data.

8. A partition for a second operating system to dual-boot to.

For those who run multiple operating systems (Windows Vista, Windows XP, Windows 98, Linux, etc.), a separate partition for each operating system is essential. The issues here are beyond the scope of this article, but it’s sufficient to note that I have no
    objection at all to such partitions

*Performance*

Some people have multiple partitions because they believe that it somehow improves performance. That’s not correct. The effect is probably small on modern computers with modern hard drives, but if anything, the opposite is true: more partitions mean poorer
    performance. That’s because normally no partition is full and there are therefore gaps between them. It takes time for the drive’s read/write heads to traverse those gaps. The closer together files are, the faster access to them will be.

*Organization*

I think many people overpartition because they use partitions as an organizational structure. They have a strong sense of order and want to separate apples from oranges on their drives.

Yes, separating different kinds of files on partitions is an organizational technique, but so is separating different kinds of files in folders. The difference is that partitions are static and fixed in size, while folders are dynamic, changing size automatically
    as necessary to meet your changing needs. That generally makes folders a much better way to organize, in my view.

True, partitions can be resized when necessary, but except with recent versions of Windows, doing so requires third-party software (and the ability to do it in Windows is primitive, compared to the third-party solutions). Such third-party software normally
    costs money, and, no matter how good and how stable it is, affects the entire drive, entailing a risk of losing everything. Plan your partitions well in the first place, and no repartitioning should be necessary. The need to repartition usually comes about
    as a result of overpartitioning in the first place.

What frequently happens when people organize with partitions instead of folders is that they miscalculate how much room they need on each such partition, and then when they run out of room on the partition where a file logically belongs, while still having
    lots of space left

on the other, they simply store the file in the "wrong" partition. Paradoxically, therefore, that kind of partition structure results in less organization rather than more.

*So How Should I Partition My Drive*

If you've read what came before, my conclusions won't come as a surprise:

1. if your backup scheme is to image the entire drive, have just a single partition (usually CProblem making partitions. :);

2. if you just backup data, have two partitions–one for Windows and installed application programs (usually CProblem making partitions. :), the other for data (usually DProblem making partitions. :).

Except for those running multiple operating systems, there is seldom any benefit to having more than two partitions.

Ken Blake, Nov 22, 2015
  4. lx07 Win User

With mbr partitioning you are allowed 4 primary or 3 primary and one extended partition. The logical partitions are created inside the extended partition. You can't split the extended partition with a primary as you are trying to do (with the C volume). See How Basic Disks and Volumes Work: Storage Services

You could move the C volume to the left next to the system reserved - then it would work.

5. alekhka Win User
    Thank you very much for your time. It helped a lot.

But I have only two primary partitions and 2 logical.
    And how do I move the partition.

Thank you again.*Smile

alekhka, Nov 23, 2015
  6. lx07 Win User
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    He can't move the C volume to the left next to the system reserved because there is no free space there to move it into, he would have to move it to the right to the end of the hard drive.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  8. alekhka Win User

I tried moving. All i can do is this:

Problem making partitions. [​IMG]

Cannot move any further

Thank you

alekhka, Nov 23, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    Correct. After the move is complete you should then be able to create a new logical partition within the extended partition.

If you need a larger new partition than what is in the unallocated space, you can also now shrink the C: drive partition taking space from the front to add to the partition in front of it.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  10. alekhka Win User
    This is sufficient right?? Need not move to the end no?

Thank you

alekhka, Nov 23, 2015
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    You did move it to the end.

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  12. alekhka Win User
    I mean to the System Reserved end. like lx07 said.

alekhka, Nov 23, 2015
  13. lx07 Win User

Doesn't matter. The logical partitions need to be together that is all. I would put C next to system reserved only because the outside of the drive is marginally faster. You would however need to make space for it first as @NavyLCDR said so move it to the far right and all will be OK.

You have to press "apply" then your system will reboot and Partition wizard do all the pending actions specified.

I'm not sure why you are doing this by the way but Linux will boot from primary or logical partition - it doesn't care.

14. NavyLCDR New Member
    Without doing some major disk imaging and partition rearranging you can't move it to the System Reserved end because there is no space for it there. It is not ideal to have the C: drive partition at the left end, but it will work. I would think it would just increase hard disk wear a little bit and run a little bit slower. Just my personal opinion, though, that may or may not be true in real life.

Your main goal is to get the unallocated space next to the current logical partitions, which is exactly what you have done.

EDIT: and lx07 apparently agrees Problem making partitions. :)

NavyLCDR, Nov 23, 2015
  15. alekhka Win User
    I actually want to make 3 partitions; /, /home and swap.
    I did try making the first as primary. Then when i try second it says no more MBR slots. So I am making it logical.

alekhka, Nov 23, 2015
Thema:

1. Problem making partitions. - Similar Threads - Problem making partitions

2. how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?: I have a problem with a windows update KB5028997so I have searched it an follow the introduction from the...
  3. how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?: I have a problem with a windows update KB5028997so I have searched it an follow the introduction from the...
  4. how to make partition 4 a recovery partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Partition problems

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Partition problems: C:\Users\Computer\Pictures\Drive Partitions.png The desktop image of Disk Management shows (C:) (Disk 0 Partition 2) (New Volume D:) Recovery. (Disk 0 Partition 2) Recovery Already exists in/on C: Drive Should I delete these 2 If so How? Many thanks 149776
  6. Problems with Partitioning

Problems with Partitioning: Hi! I never thought I'd need to ask a question here but I have a problem I can't seem to solve... I use both Windows and Linux in dual-boot, with windows being my primary operating system. This is a bit of a struggle because my laptop only has 256 GB of storage and I use...
  7. Make a new partition

Make a new partition: Is there a program to idvide the C partioin into 2 partitions? I don't understand the new partions (system, recovery...) schem in WIN 10 I used to do it easilly on XP with Partition Magic, but now.... 126656
  8. Make a new partition

in Windows 10 Support
    Make a new partition: Is there a program to idvide the C partioin into 2 partitions? I don't understand the new partions (system, recovery...) schem in WIN 10 I used to do it easilly on XP with Partition Magic, but now.... 126656
  9. Partition problems

Partition problems: Hello, On my computer I got an SSD (128Gb) and a HD (1 Tb). At the moment my OS (Windows 10 Pro) is installad on my HD. I want to migrate it to my SSD, but I don' know on which partition. Please see at the 2 pictures (the second is one of the software EaseUS Partition...
  10. Making a Recovery Partition?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Making a Recovery Partition?: Recovery Partition... The thread above reminded me... My laptop has a partition with Windows 7 on it for recovery purposes. It was a long time ago, but I think I created it from an ISO. I can't even remember how it should be used! Is it possible to create the same in...