Windows 10: Problem managing editing deleting from favorites / favourites

Discus and support Problem managing editing deleting from favorites / favourites in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; For uninteresting reasons I have not had occasion to try to edit my favourites till yesterday. I find that, if I am connected to the Internet,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SeptimusFry, May 20, 2016.

1. Problem managing editing deleting from favorites / favourites

For uninteresting reasons I have not had occasion to try to edit my favourites till yesterday.

I find that, if I am connected to the Internet, anything I do is undone within seconds. If I delete a folder of links for example, then it stays deleted, just until I reconnect to the internet. This applies whether trying to do it within Explorer (Favorite>Organize Favorites) or whether I just go to ...Myname\Favorites and perform ordinary deletion.

Deleting a specific link produces the same results... I have a folder of links called BMW Stuff, with three links in it. If I delete a link or links, then they disappear, but return some seconds later, ditto for the whole folder.

It is clear that some sort of sync'ing is going on, and elsewhere I read something about iCloud, but I do not have iCloud installed. I believe it may be happening through my Microsoft account. My favourites are not on OneDrive, but both my laptop (where I am working) and the desktop (which is switched on at home) are automatically signed in to MS.

My next step is to turn off my desktop as soon as I can and repeat the exercise, but I thought, as this is notably well mentioned on various fora, perhaps someone here on this hall of fame might just be able to give an immediate and definitive answer.

:)

SeptimusFry, May 20, 2016

2. Two sets of favourites in maps.

Hey there,

From what you mentioned it seems that you have some places saved as Favourites and the same places showing up inside a collection named Favourites. You should be able to delete either set so that you only
    have one. So either tap and hold on the Favourites collection and delete it or delete each of the favorites that show up under Favourites.

Analy [MSFT], May 20, 2016
  3. 'Add Recipient' menu on C3-01 - thanks

What do you mean with "edit"?

Opening the <Favourites> item, you can select your favorite phone number or group from the phonebook or add something manually. But I don't think you can add a new menu item or edit the existing ones. Why would you need that?

To delete an existing contact group go to the phonebook and do a long press on the group to delete. A menu will appear, there select "delete group".

maxwellsmart---01, May 20, 2016
  4. philc43 Win User

Problem managing editing deleting from favorites / favourites

Can you provide some clarification? Are you talking about the favourites in Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer (or other browsers) or in the Navigation pane of File Explorer?

In Windows 10 your favourites and favourites bar in Microsoft Edge are now stored in an ESE database file in the DataStore folder at the location below. Maybe these are clashing with your IE favourites via your MS account. I find that IE and Edge seem to be linked in some way.

%LocalAppData%\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStor e

philc43, May 20, 2016
  5. Thanks for your suggestion. I have disabled/ignored Edge since I first went W10. I am talking exclusively about IE 11.

I have just got to my desktop and found that it still had iCloud installed, so I uninstalled it. I thought that the problem was solved, since rebooting my desktop, I could edit favourites on my laptop.

But it is clearly more arcane than that: the problem seems fixed on the laptop, but it is symptomatically the same on my desktop.

I thought that iCloud was somehow sync'ing the two computers, but something else is going on. My laptop is now 'OK' insofar as I can edit favourites, but my desktop has the original symptoms.

Anybody got the same problem ?

SeptimusFry, May 20, 2016
  6. I have resolved the problem.

In Settings > Accounts, under 'Your email and accounts', I had selected 'Sign in with a Microsoft Account' (as distinct from 'Sign in with a local Account' )
    Then, still in Settings > Accounts, under 'Sync your settings', there is a switch for 'Internet Explorer Settings' On/Off. This was 'ON' on both machines. I had wanted synchronisation of MS Office, including Outlook, but had not noticed this one.

The method of synchronisation is faulty: editing on one machine should cause the other to keep in sync, but it seems to be some sort of one-way sync that causes the resetting of any deletions or cut and paste ops.

Since I would actually like both machines to have the same Favorites, I switched OFF this synchronisation and instead, relocated my Favorites onto OneDrive - OneDrive seems to handle the sync properly as the state is a reflection of the most recent file operations.

Hope this is helpful to someone else. (Not a lot of people seem to use 'Sign in with a Microsoft account'.)

SeptimusFry, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Problem managing editing deleting from favorites / favourites

1. Problem managing editing deleting from favorites / favourites - Similar Threads - Problem managing editing

2. Delete a Favorite??

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Delete a Favorite??: How can I delete a Favorite I no longer want in my Favorites list?? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/delete-a-favorite/8e4eff2c-801c-4dc1-90b9-aa44a11f18a2
  3. Favorites deleted from edge browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Favorites deleted from edge browser: HI, I updated windows 10 to the latest release and my favorites were deleted from edge.Any solution? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/favorites-deleted-from-edge-browser/5e10b64b-b8eb-4b55-b14d-383405f1e42c"
  4. chrome favourites problem

in Browsers and Email
    chrome favourites problem: hu guys please see the attachment, somehow it has been added to my chrome favourites list , i cannot delete it as i normally would with a favourite i did not want anymore, and i seem to be getting quite a lot of stuff in german now . is this file dangerous , can anyone tell...
  5. chrome favourites problem

in Windows 10 Support
    chrome favourites problem: hu guys please see the attachment, somehow it has been added to my chrome favourites list , i cannot delete it as i normally would with a favourite i did not want anymore, and i seem to be getting quite a lot of stuff in german now . is this file dangerous , can anyone tell...
  6. How to delete favourites?

in Browsers and Email
    How to delete favourites?: My wife has saved countless ( hundreds ) of items that she viewed on craigslist, in favourites. I can delete them, one at a time, but would take me hours to do so. Is there a way to do this quicker? In the last few weeks, her computer is running very slowly, especially in...
  7. Editing favorites in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    Editing favorites in Edge: So, one of the annoying things about Edge is that the Favorites are all stored in a database, and there is no UI feature to edit them (such as changing the url after the Favorite has been created). This can be a little annoying when the link you want to save as a favorite...
  8. How to Manage Favourites in Edge

in Browsers and Email
    How to Manage Favourites in Edge: Hi All I have a W10 laptop, W10 desktop, an iPad and an iPhone. I've disabled web browser setting synchronisation as this doesn't apply to my non-MS devices. I'm using iCloud for Windows 4.1 and this does a great job of synching IE bookmarks to Safari (if I use the...
  9. Delete all favorites from Edge?

in Browsers and Email
    Delete all favorites from Edge?: I did a big cleanup of all my Favorites in IE11, then deleted all my Favorites/Bookmarks in Chrome and Firefox and re-imported them from IE11 to make sure everything is up-to-date, at least on my primary Windows machine. I'd like to do the same in Edge but I can't find an...
  10. Edge Favorites - problem deleting favorites

in Browsers and Email
    Edge Favorites - problem deleting favorites: I have not been able to delete favorites from the "Favorite Bar" drop down list. The right-click and the delete key do not work. 12199