Windows 10: Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop.

Discus and support Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop. in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; This is an issue that has been asked about through various problems reported for years. The error is similar to this one: [ATTACH] Many answers... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by FlaJunkie, Dec 3, 2019.

1. FlaJunkie Win User

Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop.

This is an issue that has been asked about through various problems reported for years. The error is similar to this one:

Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop. 2e42a169-12ca-4020-8104-584f10166d83?upload=true.jpg

Many answers include doing all sorts of utilitarian stuff. I must have looked at dozens of suggested solutions. And actually doing what the error message above says is totally useless in some situations where the program operated properly before.

But I found one for a similar error that worked. I suspect many have the same problem because of third-party installations.

The error is in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell, inside the normally null string value.

These third-party programs fill the null value with their own program. If the program is removed, it sometimes doesn't remove that link. Using the context menu to open a file location will then fail with an error message.

The solution is simple. Reset the string to null and the problems disappear. No need to do various utilitarian stuff!

:)

FlaJunkie, Dec 3, 2019
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Desktop shortcut is opening application and explorer window location

Hi Lyle, probably best to just create a new shortcut . . .

On your Start Menu, in the alphabetical list of installed apps, locate that application

Right click and choose More - Open File Location

Right click the resulting file and choose Send to Desktop (create shortcut)

Delete the old shortcut

DaveM121, Dec 3, 2019
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 3, 2019
  4. LyleJ Win User

Desktop shortcut is opening application and explorer window location

So, one shortcut on my desktop is opening the application and the windows explorer file location.

I want to stop the file location from opening.

I checked other shortcuts on my desktop and there appears to be no difference in the Target/Start in fields from the other shortcuts.

There is no shortcut key either.

Appreciate the help on this..

LyleJ, Dec 3, 2019
Thema:

1. Problem: "Open file location" fails from any shortcut on the desktop. - Similar Threads - Problem Open file

2. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Changing a file location from a shortcut: Hi There Folks!I have a lot of photos downloaded to my PC Windows 10 from my iCloud account, I'm trying to move some of them into a separate folder and I'm having issues changing the file locations. The photos/videos in question are in their separate folder, but they're...
  3. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Changing a file location from a shortcut: Hi There Folks!I have a lot of photos downloaded to my PC Windows 10 from my iCloud account, I'm trying to move some of them into a separate folder and I'm having issues changing the file locations. The photos/videos in question are in their separate folder, but they're...
  4. Changing a file location from a shortcut

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  6. "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Open file location" opens shortcut location instead of the file location..: I think the title sums up this annoying issue, but I'll elaborate anyway for the sake of clarity:When I right click on a program in the Start menu and click on "Open file location" it should, by right, open the location of the file, but it never does. It always opens the...
  7. Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Desktop shortcuts from browsers: Running Windows 10 Home 21H2, Firefox 96, Edge 97I used to be able to create a shortcut on my desktop by dragging the padlock icon near the browser URL window to the desktop. I could then rename the shortcut as well as change the icon.Now when I drag the padlock to the...
  8. Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Desktop shortcuts and program file .exe links are failing to open.: My desktop links are failing to open. first one now three. Even program.exe file links do not work on those failed links. It seems something is happening. The links are not associated with each other. This is a new computer running Windows 10. I already used Task Manager "run...
  9. Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu

in Windows 10 Customization
    Error when opening file location from a shortcut in start menu: Hi, I am a newbie in software development. I was learning a few languages and installed some IDEs on my system. But then the context menu options "Open in Visual Studio", "Edit in Pycharm..." started frustrating me so I used Regedit and added Extended into some of the keys I...
  10. Desktop shortcuts not locating files

in Windows 10 Support
    Desktop shortcuts not locating files: I have a number of shortcuts on my desktop that when double-clicked respond with not finding the file using the path displayed. I have even gone to the file that the desktop points to and double-clicked it - with the same result. This has only started with W10 upgrade....