Windows 10: problem opening documents on my desktop.

Discus and support problem opening documents on my desktop. in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; When I click on an icon on my desktop designed to open a Word document, the system tries to open Word Professional 2007 then stalls. So I click... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by PED37, Nov 26, 2020.

1. PED37 Win User

problem opening documents on my desktop.

When I click on an icon on my desktop designed to open a Word document, the system tries to open Word Professional 2007 then stalls. So I click Cancel. The screen changes to "chose a language!" then defaults to a chinese!

:)

PED37, Nov 26, 2020
  2. ss2020 Win User

Desktop items open Libreoffice; windows bugged and flickering

My mother's PC had the most bizarre bug I've ever seen this morning.

PC specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit
    Version: 1903 when problem occurred (1909 now)

What happened:
    • all desktop items, including folders, opened in Libreoffice Writer; once open it displayed a blank document then began flickering as if it had bugged while scrolling
    • opened Task Manager from the task bar, selecting the second tab opened the final tab, which began flickering like Libreoffice
    • problems stopped after a restart, then occurred again after another restart; then stopped after the PC ran for a short time
    • no error popups or BSODs
    • she said Candycrush reported an error earlier but it didn't occur when I looked at it; she said it mentioned "something about the desktop"

Steps I've taken:
    • did a quick virus scan then reboot scan with Windows Defender; no problems found
    • sfc /scannow; no problems found
    • installed update KB4537572 and upgraded system to 1909; updates appear to have been successful, no other updates available

At the moment the problem has disappeared, but since it reoccurred previously I'm not sure it hasn't been fixed.

I'm out of ideas. What else can I check and what other tests can I run? Based on the given information could anyone suggest what the problem might be?

ss2020, Nov 26, 2020
  3. SSMAN_G Win User
    Office Documents open on wrong virtual desktop in Windows 10

Scenario:

• I have 2 virtual desktops open in Windows 10... Desktop-1 and Desktop-2
    • Excel document is currently open on Desktop-2
    • Switch back to Desktop-1, and open another Excel document, by double clicking on the document shortcut
    • Document opens in Desktop-2

Why? The document should open on the desktop where I opened it? This makes for too much switching back and forth. I'd rather just clutter up a single desktop instead of jumping around all the time. Can I override this counter-intuitive behavior somehow?
    Am I missing the point of what virtual desktops are supposed to achieve? Maybe I should just be using dual monitors instead.

SSMAN_G, Nov 26, 2020
  4. Peer_Sam Win User

Can't open documents

Hi Marilyn,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In order to narrow down the issue and provide appropriate troubleshooting steps, please reply with answers to the questions below.

1. Is it any specific document, a document type or all documents, you are unable to open?
    2. What happens when you try to open the documents?
    3. Do you get any error message while trying to open the documents?

We look forward for your reply.

Peer Samie

Microsoft Community-Moderator

Peer_Sam, Nov 26, 2020
Thema:

1. problem opening documents on my desktop. - Similar Threads - problem opening documents

2. how can i open documents on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how can i open documents on my desktop?: Most of the documents on my desktop now have a small file box on them and I can't open any of them. It's like if they were frozen. Anyone know how to fix it? I have a feeling it has something to do with my onedrive....
  3. how can i open documents on my desktop?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how can i open documents on my desktop?: Most of the documents on my desktop now have a small file box on them and I can't open any of them. It's like if they were frozen. Anyone know how to fix it? I have a feeling it has something to do with my onedrive....
  4. Opening an excel document changes virtual desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Opening an excel document changes virtual desktop: I'm trying to setup my PC such that I can open a new virtual desktop to start a new task without changing the task I had been working on.When opening an application in a virtual desktop, I expect it to open in the current virtual desktop, not whichever desktop happens to...
  5. Opening an excel document changes virtual desktop

Opening an excel document changes virtual desktop: I'm trying to setup my PC such that I can open a new virtual desktop to start a new task without changing the task I had been working on.When opening an application in a virtual desktop, I expect it to open in the current virtual desktop, not whichever desktop happens to...
  6. My documents will not open

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My documents will not open: I need some help. I have 2 documents I have been working on for about 2 months now in word. They were being auto saved as I did my work and always opend up right when my computer was turned on. The power went out like a week ago and now I am trying to get into my files. They...
  7. My documents will not open

My documents will not open: I need some help. I have 2 documents I have been working on for about 2 months now in word. They were being auto saved as I did my work and always opend up right when my computer was turned on. The power went out like a week ago and now I am trying to get into my files. They...
  8. problem opening documents on my desktop.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    problem opening documents on my desktop.: When I click on an icon on my desktop designed to open a Word document, the system tries to open Word Professional 2007 then stalls. So I click Cancel. The screen changes to "chose a language!" then defaults to a chinese!...
  9. Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cant't open any documents on my desktop anymore: why can't I access any of my documents? It pops up an error box that says, Adobe Acrobat Reader could not open "myfilename' because it is either not a supported file type or because the file has been damaged for example, it was was sent as an email attachement and wasnt...
  10. how to scan to desktop a document and open it.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    how to scan to desktop a document and open it.: how to scan to desktop a document and open it. i have windows 10 and a al in one hp envoy printer scanner. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-scan-to-desktop-a-document-and-open-it/04715068-b4ae-4e00-9c37-5edccf6311bd