Windows 10: Problem opening photos and videos with Photos App

Discus and support Problem opening photos and videos with Photos App in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Want to use Photo Apps to trim videos. When I go to the .mp4 video file; right click; and select Open With .... Photos; the file won't open . I get a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by DebiC104, Aug 29, 2020.

1. DebiC104 Win User

Problem opening photos and videos with Photos App

Want to use Photo Apps to trim videos. When I go to the .mp4 video file; right click; and select Open With .... Photos; the file won't open . I get a System Error -2147163901. Same result when I try to open a .jpg.

When I double click on the .jpg file it opens up in MicroSoft Office Picture Manager. When I double click the .mp4 file, I get the same error message as above.

:)

DebiC104, Aug 29, 2020

2. Photos are opening with Paint instead of Photos app

Hello,

It's likely that your default application for opening photos is Paint. To change your default program in Windows 10 from
    Paint to the Photo app, we suggest that you perform the following steps:

• On the Start menu, select Settings.
    • Go to System, then go to Default apps.
    • Select Photos or any app that you like to be the default under
      Photo viewer.

Update us if the steps above helped you in resolving your concern.

Angela Pun, Aug 29, 2020
  3. Open with another app 'photos'

Thank you, that is a helpful screenshot. So on my machine, I see much the same as you do in the first screenshot. All normal looking programs offered in the list when selecting 'open with', my default for jpg is the Photos app and it all works just fine. Not that I want to use anything else but if I then click 'choose another app' then I get the same type of screenshot you provided in the second one and it is in here where I see the %1 at the top of the list followed by all the normal programs like Photos, Picasa etc. It only happens for photos, if I do the same for video files, music, documents then that %1 is nowhere to be seen.

Scottyboy99, Aug 29, 2020
  4. Problem opening photos and videos with Photos App

Windows Photos Export Video Project Problem

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the difficulties you are facing with the Photos App, while exporting video project. We were able to create and export the video project. So the issue could be with photos app installed in the PC. I would suggest you
    to follow the steps mentioned in these methods.

Method 1: Please refer the steps as mentioned in

Fix problems with apps from Microsoft Store
    article.

Method 2: You can also try to re-install the app using PowerShell. Here are steps to re-install photos app:

1. Open PowerShell (Admin). Right click on the start button and then on PowerShell (Admin).
    2. Then type: get-appxpackage *Microsoft.Windows.Photos* | remove-appxpackage
    3. Once the above command is successful. You can install the Photo app from Microsoft Store.

We await your response.

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Aug 29, 2020
Thema:

Problem opening photos and videos with Photos App

1. Problem opening photos and videos with Photos App - Similar Threads - Problem opening photos

2. Photos and videos not opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Photos and videos not opening: Device name Joshs-Desktop Processor IntelR CoreTM i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GBSystem type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 Installed on...
  3. Photos and videos not opening

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Photos and videos not opening: Device name Joshs-Desktop Processor IntelR CoreTM i9-10900K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz Installed RAM 32.0 GBSystem type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display Edition Windows 10 Home Version 21H2 Installed on...
  4. Photos and videos not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Photos and Videos not opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photos and Videos not opening: So every time i connect my switch to my pc to get some videos from it, when im opening the video it works for the first time but after that it doesnt work and shows me this message "we cant open this file because the file is not supported..." it shows this error code...
  6. Photos and Videos not opening

Photos and Videos not opening: So every time i connect my switch to my pc to get some videos from it, when im opening the video it works for the first time but after that it doesnt work and shows me this message "we cant open this file because the file is not supported..." it shows this error code...
  7. Photo app video editor problem

Photo app video editor problem: Hi,I have put together a video compilation and when done, I could not back up the video project or export the video. I had these results:This is very frustrating. Please help. I didn't have these problems with Movie Maker....
  8. Photo app video editor problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Photo app video editor problem: Hi,I have put together a video compilation and when done, I could not back up the video project or export the video. I had these results:This is very frustrating. Please help. I didn't have these problems with Movie Maker....
  9. Videos on Photos app

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Videos on Photos app: I like to go through my photos and videos all at once using the photo app. I was able to just click to the next video just fine before and without changing any settings it all of a sudden started muting each video. So, when I click to the next video or from a photo back to...
  10. Opening photos and video

in Windows 10 Support
    Opening photos and video: Dear Forum members, Since upgrading to 10 I am able to only view my stored files but unable to open. I am given a timed out pop up after 10 seconds of trying to access files. I have previously been able to open all files easily. Any advice would be most welcome. Thanks...