Windows 10: Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI

Discus and support Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am running an HDMI cable from an HP PC to a 5.1 home theater system. Specifically the HDMI goes from the PC to a TV, then another HDMI goes from the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Kelev77, May 6, 2020.

1. Kelev77 Win User

Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI

I am running an HDMI cable from an HP PC to a 5.1 home theater system. Specifically the HDMI goes from the PC to a TV, then another HDMI goes from the TV into the 5.1 receiver. The non-PC portion of the setup works fine - the TV outputs 5.1 sound just fine when it's getting input from an X-Box, but not when it's getting input from the PC.

Instead, Windows is only outputting stereo sound.

Several posts on this forum and YouTube videos suggest trying to fix this problem by reinstalling RealTek HD Audio Manager. That didn't do it. The RealTek HD Audio Manager app only gives "Stereo" for a Speaker Configuration option. Going into the Playback tab of the Sound control panel, I am able to see Stereo and a "Dolby Atmos for home theater" option, but selecting the latter does not actually result in any surround sound - it's still stereo.

Thanks for any assistance.

:)

Kelev77, May 6, 2020

2. Dual Monitor Sound Output with 2 HDMI's

Hello, Im trying to output my PC sound to my dual monitor setup (HP VH240a x2)

I've tried enabling the stereo mixer in windows and replaying to the second monitor and even used a direct audio jack instead but nothing.

Also, I tried NVIDIA's Control Panel and enabled surround but it doesnt work

Pc specs : ROG-STRIX-RTX2060-6G-GAMING

Intel i5-9600k

Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI

UncleDemonTTV, May 6, 2020
  3. Arun B J Win User
    5.1 surround sound issue in Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

If you’re connecting an optical cable the settings would be changed so try the following steps

Two options:

1. Use the optical S/PDIF output of your motherboard.

2. Use the HDMI output of your GPU. (This is what I'd recommend if you're using a HDMI display).

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps.

• Go to control panel.

• Select sound.

• Click on playback devices.

For option 1- connect the cable and set the 'Realtek digital output' as default device.

• Then right click on it.

• Go to properties.

• At the rightmost tab select DTS or Dolby Digital or 5.1.
    For option 2-connect the HDMI cable through the receiver and set the 'Nvidia HDMI Output' as your default device. Then click 'Configure' and select 5.1 and check if it helps.

If the issue persist then, I suggest you to connect the speakers directly and check in the realtek audio manager if he gets the 5.1 option or not using the SPDIF\output.

Keep us posted on this issue so that we can assist you better.

Arun B J, May 6, 2020
  4. Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI

Problem with 5.1 surround sound

Hello Alison, thank you for your message! My name is Ted and I'm an Independent Adviser.

The sound card must support the output 5.1 audio from the PC. Follow the steps below to check if your sound card support output 5.1 surround signal.

1. Locate the Volume icon in the bottom right corner and right click on it

2. Select Sounds and open the sound Properties window

3. Move to the Playback tab to right click on the 5.1 speakers, then choose Set as Default

4. Right click on the speaker again and choose Configure

5. Select 5.1 surround in the speaker setup window and click on Next

6. Mark all the checkboxes next to optional speakers, then click on Next

7. Mark the checkboxes next to Select full-range speakers if applicable and click on Next

8. Once the configuration completed, click on the Finish and check if you get the desired output audio signal.

Ted Willson, May 6, 2020
Thema:

Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI

1. Problem outputting 5.1 surround sound from PC via HDMI - Similar Threads - Problem outputting surround

2. How to get surround sound thru HDMI from Windows PC to AV receiver ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get surround sound thru HDMI from Windows PC to AV receiver ?: I have a mini PC running Windows 11 with the HDMI connection to a Sony AV receiver to either a TV or projector.PC configuration shows only 2 channels.Tried all the suggsetions out there - latest drivers, etc....
  3. How to get surround sound thru HDMI from Windows PC to AV receiver ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to get surround sound thru HDMI from Windows PC to AV receiver ?: I have a mini PC running Windows 11 with the HDMI connection to a Sony AV receiver to either a TV or projector.PC configuration shows only 2 channels.Tried all the suggsetions out there - latest drivers, etc....
  4. Surround sound problem.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surround sound problem.: I got some Logitech z506 5.1 surround sound, but for some reason it is not letting me configure the sound correctly.When i get into the setting it only showed me Right and Left but won't show the other speakers. any help to fix this problem?my motherboard is an ASUS TUF Z590...
  5. Surround sound problem.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surround sound problem.: I got some Logitech z506 5.1 surround sound, but for some reason it is not letting me configure the sound correctly.When i get into the setting it only showed me Right and Left but won't show the other speakers. any help to fix this problem?my motherboard is an ASUS TUF Z590...
  6. Recently Built PC Not Detecting HDMI Output (Sound)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Recently Built PC Not Detecting HDMI Output (Sound): I connected my soundbar to my PC via HDMI. However, the soundbar isn't even detected. The output device is still "Digital Audio (HDMI) (2- High Definition Audio). For reference, I am running a Ryzen 7 4700G with integrated graphics. Does anyone have any idea on how to get...
  7. Surround Sound Problems

Surround Sound Problems: I have a 4.1 sound system. Not a 5.1. Windows sounds and Minecraft work, in surround sound. YouTube iTunes Netflix etc. do not. I have gone through Realtek audio manager and enabled speaker fill, and gone through control panel too. I don't know why this wont work. But I do...
  8. Surround Sound on PC

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Surround Sound on PC: For about 3 years now, I've had and been primarily using a Dell Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 for everything. I recently decided to build a brand new desktop, and I'd never quite realized how good the sound was on that laptop until this new PC. The surround sound on that laptop is...
  9. Can't get surround sound via HDMI

Can't get surround sound via HDMI: hey. My HDMI plug to LG TV LGTV EDID only 2ch. there is any way to passthrough 5.1? even if i'm change in game settings to 5.1 i'm getting only stereo. submitted by /u/Shadowshoot [link] [comments]...
  10. Output via hdmi problems

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Output via hdmi problems: Basically I'm having issues with connecting my pc to my projector, because the second display settings from my previous connection to a TV are not compatible with the projectors parameters. My previous settings were to display only on the TV at 1080/120 hz. My projector...