Windows 10: Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive

Discus and support Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hey, all (winver says I'm using Windows 10 ver 1909 build 18363.778) Using win10 on a fairly powerful system (built it myself to be able to study 3DS... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by homyakchik, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive

Hey, all

(winver says I'm using Windows 10 ver 1909 build 18363.778)

Using win10 on a fairly powerful system (built it myself to be able to study 3DS Max). I have a standard BD-Rom drive. The problem: I can read DVDs as both video and data disks, no problem. I can put a blu-ray tv show or movie in the drive and it'll show up as a data disk just fine, but windows will not play the video content; neither Media Player Classic (the preferred video player) or windows media player (distant second) will play the content.

I thought I remembered seeing writeups a few years back--I honestly don't remember if it was for Win7 or win10 before its release--saying that certain video playbacks were crippled or unavailable by default in that version. Is this so? Is there something that I should be doing (or not doing) to play such content disks on my system? Should I just give it up and wait 'til I can save up for another dedicated BD player?

Many thanks!

Davey

:)

homyakchik, Oct 3, 2020

2. Cannot play blu-ray discs

To further isolate the issue, kindly clarify the following:

• What is the make and model of your BD-ROM optical drive?
    • Are you able to play Blu-ray movies before with no issues?
    • Did you install any codecs and plugins?

Gemzon Mar, Oct 3, 2020
  3. Blu-Ray player not playing

I have a new build of a Windows 10 desktop. I am trying to play a blu-ray disc using VLC player. The region is set to Region 1 in the properties of the drive on device manager. VLC brings up a window stating "This Disc will not play due to the region code
    setting of the player".

It is a region A blu-ray disc. In the properties, everything about the drive is referred to as CD or DVD and the region code has to be entered as a number, which is for DVD. I have tried uninstalling and restarting, and the driver that gets reloaded is HL-DT-ST
    BD-RE WH14NS40.

I see no way to enter the region code in letter form which is the format for blu-ray.

Is there a way to change the 'device description' from CD-ROM Drive to Blu-Ray Drive?

The player is definitely a blu-ray player and plays discs that are region-free, but will not play a blu-ray disc for region A.

user4598QW, Oct 3, 2020
  4. PDWhite Win User

Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive

Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.

I created a Blu-Ray image in ISO format. I then attempted to burn it to a Blu-Ray disk. First, I tried using a BD-RE and when I got an incompatible media error, I tried a standard BD-R. - The ISO size was well within the capacity of the disks I was attempting
    to write them to. - Oddly enough, I tried to with a smaller DVD ISO image to DVD media in the same drive, and no problem - it worked.

So I assumed that the Bly-Ray burner had gone bad and order another one, which I just finished installing. Unfortunately, that made no difference.

I tried reinstalling all the associated device drivers, but no luck.

Does anyone have some idea what is happening (or not happening) here? Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks,

PDWhite, Oct 3, 2020
Thema:

Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive

1. Problem playing blu-ray disks in BD-Drive - Similar Threads - Problem playing blu

2. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  3. Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Blu Ray player Does not play blu rays: Hi I am trying to figure out if this is a hardware or software issue. I have Pioneer BD-2212. It worked twice and now it the drive won't play blu rays or show anything in the drive. I can hear the drive working. Device manager lists that it is working properly. I have windows...
  4. Unable to Play Blu-Ray

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Unable to Play Blu-Ray: I just purchased a new 4K Blu-Ray my first ever Blu-Ray and I had hoped to watch it today on my Windows 10 PC. When inserting the disk, it makes some grinding noises, but nothing happens beside a disk icon occasionally flashing on my cursor before all goes quiet.I try going...
  5. Windows 10 - Unable to read Blu-Ray disk in Blu-Ray drive.

Windows 10 - Unable to read Blu-Ray disk in Blu-Ray drive.: I am running Win 10 Pro Build 19042.685 I have an LG blu-ray player installed in the machine. The drive will recognize audio CD/ data/media DVD's but not Blu-Ray disks. I put a BR in the drive, close the drive and the drive pops open with an "Insert disk in drive" pop up...
  6. Blu-ray disk player

Blu-ray disk player: What is the purpose of connecting a Blu-ray disk player to the internet? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/blu-ray-disk-player/92b29721-7839-41b0-943a-d51020da0a02
  7. Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.

Cannot Write a Blu-Ray Image to a Blu-Ray drive.: I created a Blu-Ray image in ISO format. I then attempted to burn it to a Blu-Ray disk. First, I tried using a BD-RE and when I got an incompatible media error, I tried a standard BD-R. - The ISO size was well within the capacity of the disks I was attempting to write them...
  8. playing blu-ray disks on my computer

playing blu-ray disks on my computer: I have a blu-ray disk but i cant figure out how to play the blu-ray movie disks. Windows media player and MS Movies and TV dont play them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/playing-blu-ray-disks-on-my-computer/f902dc72-d9a3-4959-b0b6-00c72449d6f0
  9. How to play Blu-Rays

How to play Blu-Rays: I have 2 blu-ray burner drives on my system, one from Pioneer and one from LG. I have no problem with either of them for data disks or DVDs, but Blu-Rays have been a headache. I got CyberLink PowerDVD 10 with one of the drives, and that version is apparently incompatible...
  10. blu ray problem

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    blu ray problem: Every time the latest build is installed my blu-ray (films) player stops working, I get an on screen message in cyber link saying my Graphics card is incompatible. After restoring build 16199 all is o/k again. Tried latest Drivers from AMD.I have tried BD addvisor everything...