Windows 10: Problem Replacing Hard Drive on Windows 10 Using Recovery Drive: There was a problem...

Discus and support Problem Replacing Hard Drive on Windows 10 Using Recovery Drive: There was a problem... in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I recently purchased a new hard drive for my Windows 10 laptop, and created a recovery drive using a new USB drive. The recovery drive created... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by qgudex, Apr 16, 2020.

1. qgudex Win User

Problem Replacing Hard Drive on Windows 10 Using Recovery Drive: There was a problem...

I recently purchased a new hard drive for my Windows 10 laptop, and created a recovery drive using a new USB drive. The recovery drive created successfully. I'm able to boot to the recovery drive and start the restore process. The progress indicator climbs from 0 to, or at least near, 100% and then I get a message that says "There was a problem resetting your PC. No changes were made."

There is no error message, no indication of a log file or any other information on what went wrong. Any possible solutions I've found online have not worked, I think most of them pertain to a reset of an existing Windows installation.

At this point, I'd be happy if I could find any data in the system that explains why the reset is failing. Thank you.

:)

qgudex, Apr 16, 2020

2. Recovery from failed hard drive

Hi,

To assist you better, please answer the following questions;

• What is the make and model of the hard drive?

• Did you get any error messages while using the failed hard drive?

• When you say failed hard drive, are you referring to external hard drive or internal hard drive?

I suggest you to refer to the below Microsoft help article, which explains about the recovery option in Windows 10 and check if it help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

Get back to us for further assistance, we will be glad to help you.

Rishad K T, Apr 16, 2020
  3. Davidelmo Win User
    Hard drive problem?

Specs are to the left <--

Basically, I keep having problems where my system will hang, crash and then refuse to boot windows for no apparent reason.

It will work fine, and will suddenly freeze totally. I then restart and it will hit the first splash screen and freeze dead. The only solution is to wipe the RAID array and start over.

However, this happened last week but when I went to re-install Vista 64, the install showed NO hard drives present in my machine. I went back to the BIOS - SATA was switched on, the RAID array was built and healthy etc. I've re-installed quite a few times before and never seen this problem before.

I used www.ultimatebootcd.com and ran the Seagate hard drive test. The RAID array appears as one drive and the test failed almost straight away.

So, I decided to do away with the RAID configuration and install windows onto one of the hard drives. I disabled RAID and then restarted. However, the BIOS is now only showing 1 of my 2 hard drives.

I go to reinstall windows and only one hard drive appears there too. Windows installs and is up and running fine, but only one hard drive is shown in my computer. The strange thing is that Device Manager shows two hard drives, but the BIOS only shows one.

I then tried physically unplugging the 2nd hard drive. The BIOS looks the same, Windows shows only 1 hard drive in My Computer and Device Manager.

I then tried physically unplugging the 1st hard drive and running the 2nd hard drive only. There are no hard drives shown in the BIOS and the windows finds no hard drives.

I tried swapping over the two SATA cables and power cables in case one port was dodgy or not recognised, but the machine boots fine with the 1st hard drive, and shows no hard drive with the 2nd.

I'm pretty confused and at a loss about what to do next.. is the 2nd hard drive dead?
    It's SATA, so I don't have to fiddle with jumpers or setting master/slave etc, right?
    It should just appear in the BIOS, but at the moment it looks like this:
    SATA 1 - STxxxxxx (1st hard drive)
    SATA 2 - AUTO (should be my 2nd hard drive)
    SATA 3 - my DVD drive
    SATA 4 - my 2nd DVD drive
    SATA 5 - AUTO
    SATA 6 - AUTO
    It's like the 2nd hard drive doesn't even exist.. yet for some reason windows detects it is there in device manager.. wtf

Davidelmo, Apr 16, 2020
  4. vivanco Win User

Problem Replacing Hard Drive on Windows 10 Using Recovery Drive: There was a problem...

hard disk drive problem

i have a western digital 120 gb ide hard drive ( there was still 25 gb free space ) and everything was running fine until i decided to update windows xp home edition service pack 1 to service pack 2. I updated the windows and after the updating was done it asked me to restart the computer so i restarted the computer and it was normal then the windows would not start up. i turned off the computer and then turned it back on, everything gets on normally but it gets stock at where it says windows xp, it just stays there forever therefore i dont get to my desktop. Any idea what might be causing the problem?

I have an old hard disk drive which im not using and it has 10 gb space. Can i plug it to my system and run the windows from that and still be able use my other hard disk too so i can uninstall the service pack 2 from my hard disk.

Waiting for your suggestions!

Thank you for your time !

vivanco, Apr 16, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem Replacing Hard Drive on Windows 10 Using Recovery Drive: There was a problem... - Similar Threads - Problem Replacing Hard

2. hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    hard drive problem: after formatting my pc when i shuting down my pc and turn on it say not bootable device found in every shutdown must to installing windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-problem/40b5440e-7efa-4a87-a112-466985b71eab
  3. hard drive problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    hard drive problem: after formatting my pc when i shuting down my pc and turn on it say not bootable device found in every shutdown must to installing windows https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-problem/40b5440e-7efa-4a87-a112-466985b71eab
  4. Hard drive problems

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive problems: i just need some help with my PC, if anyone knows anything please reply to me! My PC sometimes shuts down after like 20-30 mins of inactivity, and either comes up with a 'your device ran into a problem and needs to restart' error, or a 'boot device not found, please install...
  5. Problems with Recovery Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Problems with Recovery Drive: So, Ive been trying to create a Recovery Drive so I can replace my HDD. But whenever I try and create it, the window is stuck on "please wait" for over 30 minutes its been like this. But this isnt the actual recovery creation. Its the window that gives me a prompt on which...
  6. Windows 10 Hard Drive Problem

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Hard Drive Problem: Getting "Boot Device Not Found". "Please install an operating system". Help! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-hard-drive-problem/e9a3eafa-b55e-4f48-a5c7-1f3d85b2caf7
  7. Problem with Hard Drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Problem with Hard Drive: There is some problem with my hard drive I am not able to copy files even less than an MB, sometimes folder takes time to load and in the meantime, file explorer doesn't respond. Sometimes opening some folder a popup occurs saying location unavailable and after refreshing,...
  8. Hard drive problems?

Hard drive problems?: Hello my lenovo loptop ideapad 100-15ISK is suddenly down and im not sure but when windows didn’t load properly and then from then on it had boot problems after that i tried searhing for solutions through automatic repair advanced options cmd method and i type C: or the...
  9. hard drive problem

hard drive problem: hello, since about a month ago i have been getting hard drive problems, i first got a bsod saying 'inaccessible boot device', after a bit of research i found that my hard drive had totally deleted windows, all of my files and all my games. i had no input on this happening....
  10. Hard Drive Problem

Hard Drive Problem: I've been using Commodo Icedragon Browser for several months with no problem. Last night, I got a pop-up that said it was updated with a notice if I wanted to install Commodo Cloud A/V. I declined and closed the pop-up. Next thing, my computer is slow, stutters, and freezing....