Windows 10: Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive

Discus and support Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi XPS 8920 Desktop Win 10 pro with SSD C drive and normal D drive Dell said they will send a tech to me to change the SSD. Not waking up after... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by MarkGunning1, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive

Hi

XPS 8920 Desktop Win 10 pro with SSD C drive and normal D drive

Dell said they will send a tech to me to change the SSD. Not waking up after sleep mode.

The old SSD still worked so I used Windows Backup to save a system image onto an ext HD.

The Tech installed the new SSD and then loaded a new win10 from a Dell USB.

After win10 loaded, all my apps & data were gone but the PC was now an exact image desktop, apps & data of my sons PC. we arenot networked. maybe something to do with OneDrive cloud & us both using the same email username in Microsoft account

That was weird but didn't worry me too much as I had a copy of my system image on the ext HD, ide use that to restore my PC back to normal.

However im having issues doing the recover from the system image on my ext HD, after I select the saved image from drive H and hit the recover button I get this message.

"To restore this computer, windows needs to format the drive that the windows recovery is currently running on. To continue with the restore, shut down this computer and re boot it from a Windows Installation disc or a system repair disc and try the restore again."

I don't quite understand the message. can someone please explain?

Maybe im going about this all the wrong way, any advice on how to get my PC looking like it was before the SSD change appreciated.

Kindest regards

Mark Gunning

:)

MarkGunning1, Sep 6, 2020

2. System Image Problem

Bill,

Could you elaborate on the Nick's Data? I've already done a Sys Img to G: drive.
    What is a Belarc Advisor audit?

Rebooting now to see if drives stay the same.

--
    Nick

caddman6425, Sep 6, 2020
  3. dlh2015 Win User
    System Recovery to a New Drive in Windows 10 using a stored system image.

I have an System Image backup on a secondary drive. The original SSD (120 GB) is unserviceable. I installed a ssd (240 GB) to be used as the new "C" drive. Using the recovery disk and selecting recovery using the system image, it will not restore as it
    indicates that the original SSD drive is locked. The drive was removed from the system. What settings can I use to get the recovery disk to restore the system Image to the new "C" drive?

dlh2015, Sep 6, 2020
  4. Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive

System Image Problem

[table][tr][td]Version[/td] [td]Date[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.05[/td] [td]8/03/2009[/td] [/tr] [tr][td]5.08[/td] [td]7/21/2009[/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Which one is newer?
    Only 5.05 was offered on HP for the machine I linked.
    The description danced around some of the anomalies we're seen with drives.

Since only 5.05 was offered, I questioned 5.08
    Guess we know the answer now - 5.05 failed to flash.
    We could spend time trying to figure that out, but IMO it's better on the back burner for now

I think the next step is to try the Macrium sleight of hand to get the System Image restored.
    I'd like to get the System Image up and running to do the follwoing

• Copy Nick's data to a folder off of the restored System Image C: drive

• run a Belarc Advisor audit to collect license keys for Nick's software

• there might be other data collection that Nick can do in preparation for the final step

The final step is a clean install, install up-to-date MS and 3rd party software, and restore the copied personal data.

Nick was having difficulty locating the outlook files in the System Image - so getting it back running live is the best I can think of.

Thoughts, suggestions, and objections are always welcome and considered

Slartybart, Sep 6, 2020
Thema:

Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive

1. Problem restoring system image to new SSD C drive - Similar Threads - Problem restoring system

2. Cannot restore system image to a new SSD drive - "excluded disk" error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cannot restore system image to a new SSD drive - "excluded disk" error: Using the instructions at this link, I am unable to restore a system image to a new SSD PCIeX4 drive,How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage deviceI get the following error:This pops up after I am warned that everything in the target disk is...
  3. Cannot restore system image to a new SSD drive - "excluded disk" error

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot restore system image to a new SSD drive - "excluded disk" error: Using the instructions at this link, I am unable to restore a system image to a new SSD PCIeX4 drive,How to restore a Windows 10 system image to an existing or larger storage deviceI get the following error:This pops up after I am warned that everything in the target disk is...
  4. Cannot restore system image to a new SSD drive - "excluded disk" error

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  6. System Image Restoration Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    System Image Restoration Problem: I've got a new computer win11 and a new external hard drive. I wanted to verify that I could restore a system image, so I created an image and attempted to restore it. I've always had windows home, and I've never used bitlocker, so I failed the image restore. The error...
  7. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  8. Restore Disc Image for new System Drive

Restore Disc Image for new System Drive: Background Old HDD is running Windows 10. Used Macrium Reflect to IMAGE to external drive. Now I want to use Macrium Reflect to restore to new SSD. My uncertainty: It looks like my current C: (HDD) is System Reserved (MBR) - see attached. Not really an issue, but I just want...
  9. Restore System Image to new NVMe drive

Restore System Image to new NVMe drive: Subject about says it all. After I get my PC and Win 10 to recognize the new drive will a basic System Restore to the new drive succeed? Old SSD and new NVMe both about 500 gig. About 175 gig free on old SSD. Thanks, Terry...
  10. System Image Restore Problem

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    System Image Restore Problem: Hi everyone, I really need some help. I backed up my system using a system image about a month ago. Then just recently my system kept freezing. I went to reinstall windows and it kept crashing and therefore had no operating system on. So so I then used my windows 10...