Windows 10: Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

Discus and support Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have an old XP program, xReminder Pro, that I have been using for many years. I am currently running it in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by pangelakos, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

I have an old XP program, xReminder Pro, that I have been using for many years. I am currently running it in Compatibility Mode on Windows 7 and it runs fine. On my Windows 10 test machine, this program will install and run from a "manual" start in Compatibility Mode (Windows XP SP3); but will not auto-start with Windows. I have tried the normal start with the program preferences, adding it to the Startup, and running a bat file right after boot up. None of these work. I have set the program to "Run as Administrator".
    Please help.

Thanks in advance.
    Pete

:)

pangelakos, Aug 7, 2015

2. vampire the masquerade

Hello Patrick,

Are you trying to run this on Windows 10?

If so, there are some programs facing incompatibility issues with Windows 10, as they were not designed for the OS.

Looking at the System Requirements for this game, it seems as though its relatively old (For windows 98/200/XP). It may be worth trying to change the executable to run in compatibility mode for XP. try right-clicking the .exe file, then select Properties>
    Compatibility> select run in compatibility mode for XP, or for Windows 10 click the compatibility troubleshooter.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Fergus

Fergus Martin, Aug 7, 2015
  3. Will upgrading from Windows 7 Pro to Windows 10 affect the ability to run XP-compatible programs with Windows Virtual PC/Wndows XP Mode?

I'm using Windows Virtual PC/Wndows XP Mode with Windows 7 Pro to run XP-compatible programs. Will Windows 10 still make it possible to run XP-compatible programs?

Bertinsky 2015, Aug 7, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

Wow.. that is old software. I suspect that the only way you can run that is with what you called "manual" start. I never used it but it I would like to find out if it ran in Win8.1 or not.

BunnyJ, Aug 7, 2015
  5. Joergi Win User
    Since you say that when you manually start the program, using the XPSP3 compatibility mode works as expected, I think that this problem must be solvable.

Just to get things right: The problem is this: You add xReminder Pro to the folder "Autostart" in the Windows start menu. Then it should automatically start when you boot Windows. And the problem is that in this case, the XPSP3 compatibility mode is not used. Is that correct?

Joergi, Aug 7, 2015
  6. Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm new to this forum and thought I would be notified when some one replied.
    I'm not sure. Either XPSP3 is not used or it doesn't work as expected.

pangelakos, Aug 11, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    One thing you may consider is running Xp in a VM environment and then you can run the program you need to there. VM Ware free is a good option.

downloads
    Bottom VMWare Player.. it's free.

BunnyJ, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode

1. Problem running old XP program in Compatibility Mode - Similar Threads - Problem running old

2. Problem with Compatibility mode: Windows XP and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Problem with Compatibility mode: Windows XP and Windows 10: Hi,1. I created a program in Windows XP years ago. When it is installed on Windows 10 without setting compatibility mode, the data created from the program is stored in an unexpected place that I cannot find. I know how to fix this problem by setting compatibility mode to XP...
  3. Problem with Compatibility mode: Windows XP and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Problem with Compatibility mode: Windows XP and Windows 10: Hi,1. I created a program in Windows XP years ago. When it is installed on Windows 10 without setting compatibility mode, the data created from the program is stored in an unexpected place that I cannot find. I know how to fix this problem by setting compatibility mode to XP...
  4. Problem with Compatibility mode: Windows XP and Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Turn on Program Compatibility Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn on Program Compatibility Mode: How do I Turn on Program Compatibility Mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-program-compatibility-mode/fc6f12ad-5800-471b-805f-c1e574f01285
  6. Turn on Program Compatibility Mode

Turn on Program Compatibility Mode: How do I Turn on Program Compatibility Mode? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turn-on-program-compatibility-mode/fc6f12ad-5800-471b-805f-c1e574f01285
  7. Turn on Program Compatibility Mode

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows XP Mode Display Version is not compatible

Windows XP Mode Display Version is not compatible: Windows XP Mode Setup Display Version is not compatible https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-xp-mode-display-version-is-not-compatible/f1145ab1-751b-4e6c-8968-f10783159641
  9. Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10: Hi everyone: This is a big problem: Not only do I have a problem, but its hard to express technically what is going on without a lot of detail as I don't understand what technological jargon would cut through all the details here to provide a clear picture... I hope its...
  10. Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    Old programs from Windows 7 and XP not compatable with Windows 10: Hi everyone: This is a big problem: Not only do I have a problem, but its hard to express technically what is going on without a lot of detail as I don't understand what technological jargon would cut through all the details here to provide a clear picture... I hope its...