Windows 10: Problem running scan in Windows Defender

Discus and support Problem running scan in Windows Defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I an unable to run a scan. It gets to 50000+ approx3.5 mins in then freezes. Why? [Original Title: windows defender]... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by MarianneMarlow1, Jan 28, 2021.

1. Problem running scan in Windows Defender

I an unable to run a scan. It gets to 50000+ approx3.5 mins in then freezes. Why?

[Original Title: windows defender]

:)

MarianneMarlow1, Jan 28, 2021

2. How do I get Windows Defender to run a daily scan?

Hi Bill,

To run the Windows Defender automatically, we suggest that you follow the steps on this link:

Schedule a scan in Windows Defender.

Regards.

Melowin Mar, Jan 28, 2021
  3. Bree Win User
    Defender not Running Regular Scan

I've never understood the need some people feel to set up a scheduled task to run a Defender scan. For the past year the automatic maintenance has run Defender scans for me.

That is, until the Anniversary Upgrade - it broke something and Defender never ran another scan. It finally alerted me that a scan was long overdue. I followed the suggestion on another thread...
    Windows Defender No Longer Performs AutoScan
    ...and the automatic maintenance scans are back to running regularly again.

4. Problem running scan in Windows Defender

defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, Jan 28, 2021
Thema:

Problem running scan in Windows Defender

1. Problem running scan in Windows Defender - Similar Threads - Problem running scan

2. Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Running

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Offline Scan Not Running: Hello,I have tried to run Windows Defender Offline Scan now multiple times. Once I click run, it will ask permission and then do nothing. I know that it should be saying that it will be signing off in a few moments, but that doesn't happen. I have tried just about every...
  3. Windows defender running unwanted scans

Windows defender running unwanted scans: So I scheduled all of my scans for windows defender, as far as I can tell, to happen when my laptop is plugged in at night and when I am not using it. However, despite my best efforts to stop them, it runs scans all of the time during the middle of the day, managing to take...
  4. Unable to run a scan in Windows Defender

Unable to run a scan in Windows Defender: Can't run a scan with Windows Defender. [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/unable-to-run-a-scan-in-windows-defender/5fde0ef4-04cb-4722-b119-c85418aca47c
  5. Problem with Scanning in Windows Defender

Problem with Scanning in Windows Defender: Split from this thread. windows defenders is not working any scan are did not scan file how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-with-scanning-in-windows-defender/a682fad4-633b-469d-b031-b5ea879a1590
  6. Windows defender offline scan will not run

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows defender offline scan will not run: When I run the scan, my PC restarts, then the screen goes black for a bit, then I load into the windows home screen. When I log in, there is no notification from defender and no record of a scan taking place. After a lot of searching, I can't find a solution and after having...
  7. Need to run a scan with Windows Defender?

Need to run a scan with Windows Defender?: I tried to run a scan on my computer and wasn't able. I got this message: The group or resource is not in the correct state to perform the requested operation....
  8. Windows Defender not running scans

Windows Defender not running scans: I wonder if anyone can identify why Windows Defender has suddenly, i.e. the last day or two, stopped running scans on my home PC? The product is up to date: [img] If I attempt to scan a folder of file, the screen above appears and sometimes the scan will run, but more...
  9. Problem with Windows Defender Scan

Problem with Windows Defender Scan: Defender won't scan how do I fix [Original Title: Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/problem-with-windows-defender-scan/36771d59-9e7e-453c-b3c1-c40bb76d150b
  10. Defender not Running Regular Scan

Defender not Running Regular Scan: I updated to Win 10 Home 1607 last Friday Aug 19 from Win7. However Win10 loaded with MSE. I managed to uninstall, then I enabled Defender. I read that Automatic maintenance will schedule regular scans for Defender. Is this correct? This has not happened since last...