Windows 10: Problem scanning certain files with windows defender

Discus and support Problem scanning certain files with windows defender in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hello My windows defender has started having errors that stop working, stops and cannot be restarted, unless you start it from services.msc. Yesterday... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Pilovar, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Pilovar Win User

Problem scanning certain files with windows defender

Hello

My windows defender has started having errors that stop working, stops and cannot be restarted, unless you start it from services.msc. Yesterday the antivirus was working fine, today I have updated to April 14, 2020 — KB4549951 cumulative update. I have applied the last defender definition.

I think that i have located the source of the error and it consists of the antivirus stopping when it tries to scan any file whose name is like this:

filename..ext

For example, filename..txt

If you scan filename.txt or filename...txt it does not produce any error, it is only when the file name ends with a point before the file extension.

Any solution?

:)

Pilovar, Apr 16, 2020
  2. Bree Win User

This seemed so unlikely that I had to try going back and test it again. I restored my Macrium image from two days ago and confirmed Defender could scan a 'double-dot' file name....

Problem scanning certain files with windows defender [​IMG]

... then updated just the definitions and confirmed that scanning the same file would kill the Windows Defender Antivirus Service. The only difference is the antivirus definitions version, confirming that this was the trigger for the bug.

Problem scanning certain files with windows defender [​IMG]

That was a remarkable piece of detective work @Pilovar, how on earth did you discover that a double-dot file name caused the bug?

3. defender scans

Hi Ian,

Thanks for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

This issue might occur if you have set any task scheduler for Windows Defender.

I suggest you to delete the task for Windows defender and check if it helps.

Follow the below steps:

• Search and open Schedule tasks.

• In the left-hand menu, open the Task Scheduler Library, then select
      Microsoft >Windows >Windows Defender.

• Double-click Windows Defender Scheduled Scan.

• Select the Triggers panel, then select Delete.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Santosh_Rai, May 23, 2020
  4. avemaria Win User

right click scan in windows defender?

thanks for that.. i didn't notice the tutorial section :x

I did the suggested registry change and it's now listed on the desktop context menu.. but all this does is ask if I want to open it, update, or start a scan... I was hoping for the option where you right click a specific file and it will have listed 'scan with windows defender' like other antivirus programs have.. MSE had it. I'll keep looking around to see if I can find it in the meantime..

avemaria, May 23, 2020
Thema:

1. Problem scanning certain files with windows defender - Similar Threads - Problem scanning certain

2. defender quick scan problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    defender quick scan problem: When I open Virus & threat protection it says a quick scan is due so I click on the icon and get a red ball with a white x through it and these 5 blue pips that continuously recycle. My tablet is just a couple of weeks old and I have no other security software on it - just...
  3. defender quick scan problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    defender quick scan problem: When I open Virus & threat protection it says a quick scan is due so I click on the icon and get a red ball with a white x through it and these 5 blue pips that continuously recycle. My tablet is just a couple of weeks old and I have no other security software on it - just...
  4. Windows Defender Full Scan Problem

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Windows Defender Full Scan Problem: HI,When I try to full scan using defender it always stuck at 50%. Today I clean install windows 11 No other software or files , still same...the problem is only with FULL scanMy laptop spec - I3 10 Gen, 256NVME, 8gb RAM.Thanx.......
  5. Windows Defender scanning an excluded file

Windows Defender scanning an excluded file: Hi Having Windows Defender running on a server 2016.Excluded a folder: s:\database\application\dataVerified in the logfile C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Supportthe exclusion:2021-07-22T00:22:08.983Z [Exclusion] s:\database\application\data ->...
  6. Problem running scan in Windows Defender

Problem running scan in Windows Defender: I an unable to run a scan. It gets to 50000+ approx3.5 mins in then freezes. Why? [Original Title: windows defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-running-scan-in-windows-defender/b4c29982-6e4a-4398-8fc7-daac3e00542d
  7. Problem with Scanning in Windows Defender

Problem with Scanning in Windows Defender: Split from this thread. windows defenders is not working any scan are did not scan file how to fix it ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/problem-with-scanning-in-windows-defender/a682fad4-633b-469d-b031-b5ea879a1590
  8. Scanning Jar file with Windows Defender

Scanning Jar file with Windows Defender: Can windows defender scan Jar files and tell me if they have malicious intents. I downloaded some safe jar files as mods for some of my game , but now I do wonder if there could be some kind of hidden virus windows defender cannot handle. [Original Title: Windows Defender]...
  9. Scan Single File with Windows Defender

Scan Single File with Windows Defender: Windows support information states that to scan a single file or folder to <rightclick> the item in file explorer and select "scan" In win8.1 there is no "scan" option when a file or folder is <rightclicked> Any options to scan individual items? Thanks in advance,...
  10. Problem with Windows Defender Scan

Problem with Windows Defender Scan: Defender won't scan how do I fix [Original Title: Defender] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/problem-with-windows-defender-scan/36771d59-9e7e-453c-b3c1-c40bb76d150b